Pleco for iOS 3.1.4 Beta

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Minor update, but we've changed enough that we'd like to double check it's all still working well. And we want to make sure our new male TTS add-on works before we start selling that, so if you participate we'll give you a free copy of it.

If you're interested in testing, email support@pleco.com with your iOS version, device model, UDID, and jailbreak status.

I love the tags! One question though, would it be possible to to do automatic tagging for subcategories (e.g., incremental numbers)? For example, I have flashcards for for all six books of New Practical Chinese Reader (a total of 60 chapters). Now I can either create one tag for all or I would have to create 60 tags manually.

Shun

状元
Thank you for the beta, and the beautiful male TTS voice; on the whole it seemed to work very well, here are some issues I've run into:

1 With "Use older data" turned on in the Definition Screen, I can't see the Radical number for a character. (for example, the character "子")

2 For changing a flashcard's dictionary from the Dictionaries screen, it's great to have the "Update card text" and "Remove from Flashcards" options, but if a user would like to check what was on the card before, why not also include a direct path to "Card Info" straight away?

3 (See screenshot 1) In Settings > Definition Screen, the second option "Prioritize flash in beginning" should probably be "Prioritize Flash in containing".

1.PNG

4 (See screenshot 2) It seems that the HanDeDict has been reworked, but now for "费" I see "Gebüh r" where it should be "Gebühr".

2.PNG

5 (See screenshot 3, 4) Some of the character definitions appear garbled or with cutoffs. I got there by searching for "繁" and going into CHARS.

3.PNG 4.PNG

6 When tap-holding a card in Organize Cards and choosing "Dictionary", only the dictionary chosen for the card and the Unihan dictionary are shown. I would prefer to be able to look up the flashcard in all dictionaries, perhaps with the dictionary chosen for the card shown first, similar to going into Card Info and tapping "Change dictionary entry" (without the red "Choose this entry" buttons).

7 With coloring for example sentences and pinyin turned on, the OCD C-E dictionary doesn't show any colors for example sentence characters, nor does it show any pinyin below the sentences. (that one probably can't be changed)

8 The problematic PDF file I sent you now displays popup definitions at the beginning of sentences, but not anywhere else.

9 When trying to split a flashcard category, choosing Sequential and entering a category size, nothing happens after tapping "Split Now".

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Carl Nilsson - that makes sense, yes - not really time for it in this release (though I'm happy to provide the relevant SQLite column values if you want to try doing it on a computer) but certainly something we can do as the feature evolves.

@Shun - on #1, which radical number are you referring to? (where would you normally see it?)

On #2, you can already get to that via the [+] button - I'm a little wary of adding any more options to that menu than necessary since it's already kind of crowded now.

On #3, thanks for catching that - embarrassing little error.

On #4, that looks like an old one, actually - bug in the original database.

#5 I'm not seeing - how do you have things configured in Settings / Search Interface / Search Results Layout?

On #6, good point, yes - we can certainly do that.

#7 there's not much we can do about unless Oxford supplies official Pinyin for those example sentences, which they haven't so far. (they don't want us filling information like that independently since people might blame them for any resulting errors)

#8 the developers of our PDF decoder library have found and reproduced the bug, but as they're rather busy with iOS 8 updates at the moment they probably won't have it fixed until their next major update (which will likely be released on our end in Pleco 3.2).

#9 I'm seeing too, thanks!

Shun

状元
On #1: If I remember correctly, v2.2 of Pleco had all the KangXi radicals on the character info screen. Now that you've added the option to use the old data for character breakdowns, I figured the old data would be visible again in v3.1.4.

#2: Or perhaps the Card Info or Search for flashcards (I think that will be possible after a database update) will be accessible through the tap-hold bubble in the dictionary results list in v3.2.

#4: Too bad the HanDeDict makers aren't reachable by electronic means. (I once wanted to contribute a list of vocab but did not receive any reply.)

#5: I've set it to List layout: Head Pron Defn, # defn lines: 1.

You're welcome!

@Shun - on #1, which radical number are you referring to? (where would you normally see it?)

On #2, you can already get to that via the [+] button - I'm a little wary of adding any more options to that menu than necessary since it's already kind of crowded now.

On #3, thanks for catching that - embarrassing little error.

On #4, that looks like an old one, actually - bug in the original database.

#5 I'm not seeing - how do you have things configured in Settings / Search Interface / Search Results Layout?

On #6, good point, yes - we can certainly do that.

#7 there's not much we can do about unless Oxford supplies official Pinyin for those example sentences, which they haven't so far. (they don't want us filling information like that independently since people might blame them for any resulting errors)

#8 the developers of our PDF decoder library have found and reproduced the bug, but as they're rather busy with iOS 8 updates at the moment they probably won't have it fixed until their next major update (which will likely be released on our end in Pleco 3.2).

#9 I'm seeing too, thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Shun - #1 is now in UNI, tap on the gear icon next to it and you can add RSUnicode or RSKangXi. Not part of the character breakdown data, different database.

Good idea on #2.

On #5, there's no / between Pron and Defn?

Shun

状元
#1: Thanks!

#2: Thanks!

On #5: I'm sorry, I checked the landscape screen layout. It's "Head Pron / Defn" and #defn lines: 2. But the bug only seems to happen in the CHARS tab. Just tried it again. If you tap from "敏 mǐn" into the character on the right half ("pū"), then CHARS, then you should get the clipping/text on top of each other problem. I'm using the STHeiTi SC font.

@Shun - #1 is now in UNI, tap on the gear icon next to it and you can add RSUnicode or RSKangXi. Not part of the character breakdown data, different database.

Good idea on #2.

On #5, there's no / between Pron and Defn?

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Which preview is this? We only show preview images for the paid fonts, there shouldn't be any screenshots linked from these ones.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, that's an odd one. SHS seems to have some buggy metrics in general - they make it totally unusable on Android at the moment - so this would probably have to be fixed by an updated build of it, which we'll post once it exists.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Try going into the system Settings app / General / Profiles and deleting anything related to Pleco in there, then reboot your phone and try the download again.

Shun

状元
I tried adding flashcards from the WORDS and CHARS tabs by tap-holding and tapping "Flash" in the bubble. The cards do go into the default category, but it isn't indicated in the UI.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Try going into the system Settings app / General / Profiles and deleting anything related to Pleco in there, then reboot your phone and try the download again.

seems to have made it worse - I can't seem to get the provisioning file to download again and the download wont even start anymore.

I ended up removing Pleco but even after using the IPA to install I'm still having some problems. Diawi is taking over and won't let go! It won't allow the install and keeps trying to connect to Diawi.