Pleco for Android 3.2.64 Bug Report: dictionary newline character '' does not work

Perelyn

Hello everyone,

I just made a new user dictionary for pleco with example sentences for me to comprehend the meaning and usage of the character better. While implementing these sentences I wanted to seperate the examples each in a new line, because having the sentences all crammed together makes them quite combersome to decipher. Furthermore, dictionary newline character '' does not seem to change anything in the android version, while in the iOS version the newline character '' does make a new line -- see attachments with examples of Android and iOS. Also adding two or three newline characters '' does not make a difference. Obviously, just hitting enter in the custom defintion of the user dictionary also doesn't create a new line, so I'm stuck with the crammed together format of the entry. Shun, one of the most active members of this site, notified me that there had already been the same problem in 2013 in Pleco version 2.4.10 (https://plecoforums.com/threads/pleco-for-android-2-4-10-bug-report-thread.3686/#post-29998 )
  • Has this bug since not been able to be solved or is it now just resurfacing in the current version?
  • Does anyone know about a suitable workaround to create a new line in the Android version of Pleco?

Responses will be really appreciated!
Thanks for reading!

Best wishes,
Perelyn

Attachments

• Android_User_Dict_Editing_attempt_for_new_lines.jpeg
    Android_User_Dict_Editing_attempt_for_new_lines.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 401
  • Android_User_Dict_Entry_without_new_lines.jpeg
    Android_User_Dict_Entry_without_new_lines.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 371
  • iOS_User_Dict_Entry_with_new_lines.jpeg
    iOS_User_Dict_Entry_with_new_lines.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 396

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Have you tried inserting that custom newline character into the definition editor screen on Android? (rather than using it in the import file)

Shun

状元
Hi Mike, hi Perelyn,

I found that the Android version displays the newlines correctly in the Card Info screen, just in a Flashcard session, it will condense multiple newlines into one. @Perelyn, could you try copying and pasting the special newline character in the definition editor just to check if it changes anything? I also attach the text file that was imported.

However, if it's too much of a hassle to fix, it isn't really a big problem, is it, @Perelyn?

Thanks, regards,

Shun

Attachments

• Card Info screen.jpg
    Card Info screen.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 359
  • Flashcard Session.jpg
    Flashcard Session.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 411
  • sentences_tatoeba_eng_deu.txt
    53.2 KB · Views: 338

Perelyn

Hi Mike, hi Perelyn,

I found that the Android version displays the newlines correctly in the Card Info screen, just in a Flashcard session, it will condense multiple newlines into one. @Perelyn, could you try copying and pasting the special newline character in the definition editor just to check if it changes anything? I also attach the text file that was imported.

However, if it's too much of a hassle to fix, it isn't really a big problem, is it, @Perelyn?

Thanks, regards,

Shun

Hi Shun,

You are right! I didn't notice that before. You had a keen eye there!

Sadly also, with your suggestions to copy-paste and add more special new line characters in the definition editor, makes no difference. Is this what you meant? (see in the two attachments)

Sure, it isn't huge problem, but it is annoying enough to consistently bother me. But maybe I'm just easily bothered...

Kind regards,
Perelyn

Attachments

• Definition_editor_with_5_new_line_characters.png
    Definition_editor_with_5_new_line_characters.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 374
  • Dict_entry_without_new_lines.png
    Dict_entry_without_new_lines.png
    242.2 KB · Views: 340

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We'll look into this for our next bug fix update - not exactly sure when that'll be, probably at whatever point we hit a critical mass of Android 10 bugs (Android 10 is slowly making its way out to more OEMs' devices and we're finding more obscure bugs as it does).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No luck reproducing this, sadly - works perfectly here, both with the special newline character and with regular newlines inserted into the edit card screen.

What version of Android are you on? And do you have the latest version of Pleco?

Perelyn

Hm weird...

My phone is running Android 9 Pie. The Pleco version on my phone is 3.2.69, which is as far as I know that latest version.

Perelyn

What is even weirder, is that by accident I just found one single case in which a regular newline works and is shown in the dict entry.

See in the attachments for what I mean. The last line in the user dict entry for 另外 actually shows the new line. However, when I go check in the edit card screen, all sentences are separated by either a special newline character AND a regular newline or are only separated by a regular newline. So the last sentence is not any different than the other ones above. Interestingly enough, the last line, that actually appears separated from the ones above does not contain a special newline character.

So I experimented around with it a bit. I swapped the last line with a line above, to see if that other line would also appear as a new line. But back in the dict screen, the swapped line did not appear as a new line, but as usual, all lines crammed together. And when I swapped the two lines back to where they originally were, the new line reappeared... I don't understand this. It is completely inconsistent and unpredictable.

Mike, can you make sense of this?
I thought I'd share this with you, as it might give you some insight to what the problem could be..

Thanks for your thoughts!

Best,
Perelyn

Attachments

• Dict_entry_screen_containing_newline.png
    Dict_entry_screen_containing_newline.png
    377.6 KB · Views: 353
  • Edit_card_screen.png
    Edit_card_screen.png
    316.1 KB · Views: 422
  • Swapping_last_line.png
    Swapping_last_line.png
    307.1 KB · Views: 335
  • Swapped_last_line_in_dict_view.png
    Swapped_last_line_in_dict_view.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 372

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Do other Pleco entries display normally, i.e., is this problem confined only to your entries?

Try this code sequence instead:

Start of paragraph: 
End of paragraph: 

Does that work any better?

Perelyn

Yes, other Pleco dict entries look completely normal. Only my USR Dict, where I loaded the sentence snippets into, has this problem.

Sadly your proposed solution also doesn't work any better -- see attachments.

Attachments

• Edit_Card_Screen.png
    Edit_Card_Screen.png
    291.9 KB · Views: 391
  • Dict_Screen.png
    Dict_Screen.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 387

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
What about if you insert an extra   between paragraphs? (start and end of the old part plus a space in between)

Perelyn

Do you mean it in the way I did it in the attachments below?

In case this is what you meant: It sadly didn't change anything either...

Attachments

• Card_Editing_Screen.png
    Card_Editing_Screen.png
    273.1 KB · Views: 420
  • Dict_Entry_Screen.png
    Dict_Entry_Screen.png
    296.7 KB · Views: 392

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... well in that case I'm not sure what else to suggest; if I have any other ideas I'll let you know but otherwise all I can suggest is waiting for 4.0 and its new Markdown-based user dictionary entry formatting system.