Pleco for Android 2.4.10 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Whole bunch of fixes in this update, but please do let us know if we missed anything or if you encounter any new problems.

alex_hk90

状元
Thanks for the update! I just installed it via Google Play and it seems to be stable so far. :)

Regarding the following item on the change log / version history:
  • Stripped newlines out of user dictionary entries in the results list.
I don't see any difference here (the newlines are still showing in the results list) - does it need to be a specific kind of newline that is stripped out? The Pleco flashcard / user dictionary newline character '' seems to remain in the results list on my HTC Desire. :confused:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... actually this looks like a cross-platform-porting-related bug; the transformation of s into newlines happens in a different place on iOS than it does on Android and this fix seems to be failing on Android even though it works on iOS. (actual newline transformations work fine, though, we just forgot to check that s worked correctly on Android after establishing that newline characters did)

Anyway, we'll add it to the bug list for 2.4.11 - thanks.

Yiliya

榜眼
Is there any way to turn off the software menu button? Most people have hardware buttons and this new feature is needlessly eating up the already limited screen space.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not at the moment, but we could certainly add an option for it in 2.4.11. In general we prefer to keep the default interface consistent between devices, on top of which an awful lot of people with hardware menu buttons don't realize they have them, so that's why we made that change.

HW60

状元
Having spent holidays for almost 3 weeks without Pleco, I installed 4.10 and started flashcard reviews with a score filter of 0-100 (self graded, test reading and test writing). I got 9 flashcards and gave 7 wrong answers. Due to "loop repeat incorrect" I got 7 cards again and gave 2 wrong answers. The third round with 2 cards was easy then.

For whatever reason I tapped Begin Test Session again without any change and expected to get no cards, but was asked to Resume Test in Progress. I said yes and started with card 6 out of 9 a new flashcard session. All those 4 cards (6, 7, 8 and 9) had just been tested, had new scores and were due about 1 day later. After that a loop with 5 cards started again, and only then the flashcard session was really finished and tapping Begin Test Session resulted in the expected Session Complete.

I actually use 10 profiles, and when this happened the first times I was not sure if I had made a mistake. But with the 8th profile I wrote down what happened, and it seems to be easy to reproduce.

Yiliya

榜眼
Not at the moment, but we could certainly add an option for it in 2.4.11. In general we prefer to keep the default interface consistent between devices, on top of which an awful lot of people with hardware menu buttons don't realize they have them, so that's why we made that change.
I still think this change is a bit heavy handed. I mean, if one's not smartphone literate enough to find their menu button, there's absolutely no talk of them purchasing such complex piece of software as Pleco. I'd really appreciate it if you make the software button an option in the next update, thank you.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
For whatever reason I tapped Begin Test Session again without any change and expected to get no cards, but was asked to Resume Test in Progress. I said yes and started with card 6 out of 9 a new flashcard session. All those 4 cards (6, 7, 8 and 9) had just been tested, had new scores and were due about 1 day later. After that a loop with 5 cards started again, and only then the flashcard session was really finished and tapping Begin Test Session resulted in the expected Session Complete..

Ah, thanks - it looks like we went a bit too far in our efforts to keep people from losing their sessions on a screen-rotate-while-sleeping.

I still think this change is a bit heavy handed. I mean, if one's not smartphone literate enough to find their menu button, there's absolutely no talk of them purchasing such complex piece of software as Pleco. I'd really appreciate it if you make the software button an option in the next update, thank you.

We've got several customers per week who would beg to differ, actually. The menu button is not obvious, and it's easy enough to access most Android functionality without using it that some people are never motivated to figure it out.