Pleco for Android 3.1 GM

- are Pleco's data files on an external SD card? If so, how fast is it?
I'm on a HTC ONE, m7 so no external SD card. It's like what Wan said, only during loading once it's memory it's fine.
- Do those words include simplified versions as well or only traditional? CHAR bug we've seen a few crash logs for so that should be fixed in 3.1.1.
They only included the traditional, in the simplified location though. (That's the way the flashcard file was setup.) Once I placed the simplified words in they show up linked. It seems like you have to have the simplified words or it will not see that you have them in your flashcard file. That shouldn't matter. I had 怎麼辦, in the traditional field and it wouldn't show up until I place the simplified version 怎么办 in it's field.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@jiacheng - still not seeing this, oddly enough. How is your headword display option configured in Settings? ('Mix-Size Both')? And have you used one of the flashcard options to override the character set? Do you normally use simplified or traditional?

@Wan - we'll investigate, but we may not be able to make much progress on this until 3.2 (when we've got a new trick that should speed up file loading considerably). Is it much worse than the old version? Is it worse even if you delete the newly added data files / roll back to about the same # that you had in that old version?

@jmu3 - that turned out to be really, really tricky to fix, so we've left it the way it is for now. Are you using the stroke demo in simplified or traditional? Try changing your character set option and see if that helps.

@Taichi - seems like a bug in the GHY database, actually - thanks.

@alchemist909 - Thanks! We're working on expanding the audio button's tappable area, just a bit of a tricky hack. The PY is a stylistic decision, mostly, though it also serves to disambiguate when you have several things up there (ZY, JP/YL for Cantonese) and factors into some future plans as well - it may eventually be possible to move PY out of the header and/or some other things into it.

@HW60 - yeah, and there'll be a 3.1.2 shortly, we're chipping away... new thread once things settle down a bit.

@JimmyTheSaint - there is visual feedback: its color should invert, even if you touch quite a bit to the right of it. We do need to expand the tappable area for it but we want to do it in such a way that it would be easy to hit regardless of your font size setting.

@NomekSan - thanks! Hoping to get to the bottom of this overlapping menu issue shortly.

@jiacheng again - are you using Android 4.4 or an earlier version? Name seems to be coming up correctly here.

@NomekSan again - eek, that's a bad one - thanks.

@ohlordamen - at the moment the flashcards only match if simplified and traditional are the same; too many mappings aren't one-to-one for us to assume a match based on one or the other character set. We are, however, trying to get better about automatically filling in the opposite set with our best guess when we can.

@dustpuppy - thanks! And yes, there's an option in Settings / Audio to make the system use it instead of Mandarin audio in the popup reader.

santiago

举人
"Manage Dictionaries" appears to be empty. Pressing a section revelas the dictionary name by adding a blue background (sorry no pic for that).
The problem solved itself after a while and cant make it happen again. I did not have nightmode on. Android 4.1.2, coolpad 5890.

pleco.png

Taichi

榜眼
I have some ocr problems(xperia z ultra).

1 vertical/horizontal line setting (||| vs 三) is not sticky.
2 live ocr in landscape mode barely recognizes chars.
3 occasionally popup dict doen't follow the dictionary order.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Taichi - thanks!

I assume with 1 you're referring to it not persisting on screen rotate, correct?

On 2, is this working differently than in the old app? Are you sure it didn't accidentally get put into white-on-black mode?

On 3, in general the popup dictionary should be sticky with whatever the last dictionary you selected in it was - turn off "sticky dict selection" in Settings / Popup Definition to have it always start with your default dictionary.

Taichi

榜眼
On 1, right, screen rotate has that behavior. It Also happens when I jump to definition screen then back to the live ocr.

on 2, I didn't use live ocr in previous versions, so not sure if it's a new one. It only happens with vertical mode combined with the + mode, not with the rect mode. It's actually caused by gap between +(screen center) and recognized area (attached screenshot).

on 3, I forgot to mention it's about the definition box of live ocr (not sure if it's called popup). "Sticky dict selection" is turned off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-17-03-17-10.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-17-03-17-10.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 471

HW60

状元
My Back button is set to Back to Dictionary, then exit. When I learn a new text, I often switch between Reader and Flashcards to enter unknown words to my flashcards. It is easy to enter a new card, but I use custom cards, and it takes long (copy word, search card, change card to custom card) to change the flashcard - a shortcut to the just entered card would be helpful for custom card users. On the way back to the reader, the back button does not do what he promises - I would like to get the menu button as fast as possible, but I have to tap the back button three times to come back to organize cards with the menu button; I would expect the dictionary (with the menu button) after the first tap.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Taichi - thanks.

@HW60 - the best bet for switching within deeper tabs is to skip the button and go directly by the sidebar menu, which you can invoke by swiping the left edge of the screen. The back button will always take you to the top level of a particular section before it jumps you to a different one.

But for the particular procedure you describe, why not just tap on the search button (magnifying glass icon) in the reader? Much easier than copying text / switching to search / pasting it in.

jiacheng

榜眼
I'm on android 4.4.3

Headword mode is mixed size both

I default to simplified and force traditional on most tests, but I'm seeing this whether I force it or not.
Maybe I can send you a copy of my database if you're still unable to replicate it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you wouldn't mind sending that, that would be great - no luck reproducing this so far (we already tried those settings).

HW60

状元
@HW60 - the best bet for switching within deeper tabs is to skip the button and go directly by the sidebar menu, which you can invoke by swiping the left edge of the screen. The back button will always take you to the top level of a particular section before it jumps you to a different one.

But for the particular procedure you describe, why not just tap on the search button (magnifying glass icon) in the reader? Much easier than copying text / switching to search / pasting it in.
Swiping the left edge helps indeed, though it sometimes collides with the built-in screenshot function - thanks. But the search button leads to the dictionary and does not show other results than the popup dictionary - I need a shortcut to the flashcard I just entered by tapping on "+" in the reader.

jmu3

@mikelove - Yes, if I switch to simplified it works (though some of the random characters displayed are actually traditional). Is it supposed to work in both modes?

I also noticed some confusing behavior when viewing a multi-character dictionary entry and trying to copy the headword. If I tap-hold on the headword, the entire word is highlighted, but pressing the copy button only copies 1 character. I believe this happens because tapping the headword has caused the popup bubble to be displayed.
copy1.jpg

If I dismiss the bubble and try again, a different type of copy button appears, and this one copies all the characters.
copy2.jpg

To avoid this, perhaps the popup bubble should not appear when doing tap-hold?
Actually, the same situation occurs in the Clip Reader as well.