Pleco for Android 3.1 Beta 1

alex_hk90

状元
Depends what you mean by a couple of seconds, it's more like 5 or 6 seconds by my count.

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Wan

榜眼
@Wan - thanks; this is in landscape orientation, right? Or does it happen regardless of orientation?
It happens in portrait orientation. Maybe it's because the screen is too small. I'll install another font soon (probably Hanazono) for rare character support. Maybe the big will disappear.

edit: It happens only in portrait, not in landscape, and only with Chinese characters, not with letters.

Last edited:

Shun

状元
I am running the beta inside Android-x86 version 4.3. In the Dictionary, after entering a query, choosing a word in the in the list on the left, switching to the WORDS tab and tapping on a word there, then tapping Back or pressing the Back button, Pleco forgets that I was in the WORDS tab, as well as the the word I've chosen in the list on the left. Instead, it goes back to the first word there. Perhaps this is due to the design of Android, so that this info needs to be saved by Pleco internally.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@Wan - so this is happening with a custom Chinese font? Which one?

@afritzse - yeah, we're still tweaking our state saving a bit; the end result should actually be improved memory footprint (among other things) but it's taking a little while to perfect it.

Wan

榜眼
@Wan - so this is happening with a custom Chinese font? Which one?
That was a misunderstanding, I'm using the custom font at the moment.
The input looks normal as long as it only contains letters or numbers, but as soon as I add characters, the font is replaced (the style/font of the letters, there are any, also changes) and it gets elevated. There's an empty space on the bottom of the input field, it looks like the text is half a row too high. And the upper part of the characters disappears where it touches the top border of the input area.

Taichi

榜眼
Flashcard multi-level category prompt does not work properly in reader. If I tap a category, the category prompt closes without actually changing the category selection.

Scoox

举人
My device: Rooted Samsung S4 Mini (GT-I9195) with Android v4.2.2

I have just used ADB to slap plecodroid-140424-310b1.apk over the previous version. When I launch P3.1 it prompts me to download 57.6MB worth of files, which I did. Once downloaded it installs said files, then prompts me to download the same files again. This is the 4th time round the loop and my infinite-loop alarm is going crazy.

Round 1 Completely remove the previous version (inc. data)
Result: Didn't work (finally getting Titanium Backup paid off)

Round 2: Reboot the device
Result: This worked!

The fact that rebooting did the trick could mean that some sort of file caching going on. I remember reading reports from other Androd developers about similar issues, some in connection with MTP. I will be glad to do a bit more testing but first I'd like to know if this is already a known issue. By the way, I have the following apps installed which may be at issue:

SDCardBooster
SG USB Mass Storage Enabler

Last edited:

Scoox

举人
Is the menu button on my Android device supposed to do nothing in the new version? It would be nice if this button could be user configurable, for example to slide out the side panel, or play audio, etc. I'll have to run through the options though as this might already be possible.

Last edited:

Scoox

举人
Is there a way to get Pleco to use the previously downloaded add-ons and audio packages? Unless these add-ons have changed it seems pointless downloading several hundred megabytes of data that's readily available from local storage.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You'll want the newest beta (Beta 5) - infinite loop with multiple SD cards was a beta 1 bug, we dropped SD card selection support in betas 2-4 but then added it back in 5 once we'd gotten it working correctly.

Not currently doing anything with the menu button because we're worried about inconsistency - it does bring out the options menu on screens that have one, it's just that very few screens do now. You can bring out the sidebar menu anywhere by sliding over the left edge of the screen, so I'm not sure how much we'd gain by making the menu button bring it out too.

Add-ons have indeed changed in v3, almost all of them have seen heavy updates.

Scoox

举人
Some how I always end up not downloading the latest version. Thanks for your patience, I will download the latest beta asap.

antony73

Great new interface. Looks great and works great.

The OCR reader didn't work at first. So I forced stopped Pleco in the Android App settings, restarted Pleco, now all is OK.

What I can't do is put all add-ons to my micro ext-sd card and get them working, (using Samsung). I've been through the User Manual and followed everything there, but no luck. Maybe this is user error. I'll keep on trying. I'm using Android 4.0.4. If anyone has any tips... If not, it's no real big issue. I'm only missing the Extended Audio files (due to their size). Although they sure are good to have, I can live without them for the time being. For me, they're a luxury, not a necessity.

Thanks for all the hard work. This is a truly great piece of software. The new sentence feature is amazing. If there was only one app I ever used, it would be Pleco.

Last edited:

sfrrr

状元
I know it's your phone and you know what version of android your running, but are you sure you haven't upgraded? If you were running 4.2, you'd have exactly that same problem, because 4.2 won't let you use an expansion card to save anything but pix, music, videos... That sort of media. Thank you Google.

Great new interface. Looks great and works great.

The OCR reader didn't work at first. So I forced stopped Pleco in the Android App settings, restarted Pleco, now all is OK.

What I can't do is put all add-ons to my micro ext-sd card and get them working, (using Samsung). I've been through the User Manual and followed everything there, but no luck. Maybe this is user error. I'll keep on trying. I'm using Android 4.0.4. If anyone has any tips... If not, it's no real big issue. I'm only missing the Extended Audio files (due to their size). Although they sure are good to have, I can live without them for the time being. For me, they're a luxury, not a necessity.

Thanks for all the hard work. This is a truly great piece of software. The new sentence feature is amazing. If there was only one app I ever used, it would be Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@antony73 - thanks! For SD card moving on a pre-4.4 Android device, here's what you basically want to do:

1) Exit Pleco.
2) Copy all of the files from /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/ in your internal storage to a new folder on your SD card.
3) Open Pleco, go into Settings / Miscellaneous, set "File Storage" location to "Custom" and configure the full path to that new folder (where you moved the contents of /files, so that this folder has the old /modules, /bmodules, and /databases folders inside of it). Make sure it's the full path - would probably start with /mnt/extSdCard or /mnt/external_sd or /mnt/sdcard/external_sd or something like that.
4) Exit Pleco again and reopen - it should now be accessing its files from that alternate location.

EddyVIII

Hi there, using a HTC M8 too and also finding a noticable degree of choppiness and stuttering when scrolling through dictionary searches.