Pleco for Android 2.4.5 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
TheHunter88 said:
It does that regardless off the last stroke. It never did that on the iphone. Also sometimes it will give the correct result, but usually only 八.

We've seen this for a few other users too but we've never been able to reproduce it here. Should get better with our new handwriting recognizer next summer, though.

Does it help any if you write the character smaller or larger, or if you take care not to have the middle stroke intersect the side ones?

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
TheHunter88 said:
It does that regardless off the last stroke. It never did that on the iphone. Also sometimes it will give the correct result, but usually only 八.
We've seen this for a few other users too but we've never been able to reproduce it here. Should get better with our new handwriting recognizer next summer, though.
Does it help any if you write the character smaller or larger, or if you take care not to have the middle stroke intersect the side ones?
I can reproduce it regularly (10 times a minute or more) with 日. Two ways to write it successfully: last stroke slowly written, and last stroke connected to first stroke (not too quickly written).

skripp

举人
Looking up 占领 in the PLC dictionary, there are two definitions of the word:

1) capture; occupy; seize

and:

2) German occupation of France lasted four years.

Your automagical conversion scripts must have confused the 2 in "World war 2" with a new definition.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
skripp said:
Your automagical conversion scripts must have confused the 2 in "World war 2" with a new definition.

Actually looks like this one was in the original XML we got from the publisher, but thanks!

mikelove said:

Still haven't been able to figure out when it works, i tried different sizes, speeds, still can't figure it out.I can try and take a video of it if it helps.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
TheHunter88 said:
Still haven't been able to figure out when it works, i tried different sizes, speeds, still can't figure it out.I can try and take a video of it if it helps.

Hmm... how about if you write it in cursive (join the strokes, in other words), does that help?

Well, that's new - i had to replace the SGN2 i bought, it had a defective speaker microphone. I Just got my new one, which was updated OTA to 4.1.2, and started restoring all my apps. I went into Pleco, input the license, downloaded everything, installed my backup flashcard db, went to tweak with the settings and found the line thickness option, changed it to "very thin", checked if the problem is still there, and it's not. Went back the the thickness options, changed back to "thick" and still no there.

In other words, somewhere in that whole thing, maybe the 4.1.2, the tweaking of the thickness or something else, but no matter how i try to write 日 even with no stroke connected, fast, slow, big or small, it always gives me 日 to choose.

I hope this info will help.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
TheHunter88 said:
Well, that's new - i had to replace the SGN2 i bought, it had a defective speaker microphone. I Just got my new one, which was updated OTA to 4.1.2, and started restoring all my apps. I went into Pleco, input the license, downloaded everything, installed my backup flashcard db, went to tweak with the settings and found the line thickness option, changed it to "very thin", checked if the problem is still there, and it's not. Went back the the thickness options, changed back to "thick" and still no there.

So the hardware model / Pleco version / are identical, but you've got a replacement device and an updated OS? Interesting... suggests that there was something either in your old device's digitizer or the old Android version's processing of touch input that was screwing this up.

HW60, which version of Android are you running now? (that might help narrow this down, though there could also be some SGN2-specific improvements in that firmware update that wouldn't apply on your device)

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
HW60, which version of Android are you running now? (that might help narrow this down, though there could also be some SGN2-specific improvements in that firmware update that wouldn't apply on your device)
Android 4.1.1 Software Number 3.14.401.31 - the last available.

ticlo

- When using Pleco, it shows up in Recent apps as several apps. Looks like it opens a Recent app for separate functions (flashcards, settings, etc.). Using latest version of Android.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:

Well I suppose there could be a difference between 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 but it seems more likely that it's something else... thanks.

ticlo said:
- When using Pleco, it shows up in Recent apps as several apps. Looks like it opens a Recent app for separate functions (flashcards, settings, etc.). Using latest version of Android.

That's actually by design, so that you can switch between those different parts of Pleco efficiently without losing your place in each. (the inclusion of Settings is a bit controversial, but we want people to be able to change individual settings without having to go back to the root screen of settings each time, and that necessitated making settings a separate task)

ckatt

状元
I have a few flash cards for testing radicals where the tts is reading a string of numbers and letters at me rather than the the name. eg .⻗ or ⻊ since these have no real pronunciation of there own i have the pin yin fields filled in as yuzitou and zuzipang, in both pinyin and in characters. in some cases the the tts reades the characters i have put in the pinyin field, but not for a few of the radicals such as these.

mikelove said:
Well I suppose there could be a difference between 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 but it seems more likely that it's something else... thanks.

I am also leaning towards the version as being the factor for the fix. I also found out that on 4.1.2 the note 2 has learned to recognize Hebrew handwriting, which was not available on the 4.1.1.

sahal

秀才
mikelove said:
HW60 said:

I can reproduce this error on my samsung galaxy w as well (android 2.3.2 i think)

Just a small bug I'm seeing on my Galaxy S3 running Cyanogenmod 10.1. It's only minor but I thought I'd report it anyway.

1. Enable night mode in Pleco.
2. Open a dictionary definition.
3. Press the home button to leave Pleco and return to your homescreen.
4. Wait for Pleco process to end, or close it using a task manager.
5. Re-open Pleco.
6. Parts of the definition screen will be white, where they should be black, as attachment.
7. Move to another definition and it will be back to normal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-16-11-57-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-16-11-57-52.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,002

aiwen

Pleco 2.4.5 (6.1.2013, non-Market) crashes on rooted Sony PRS-T2 with Android Version 2.2.1, earlier version 2.3.8 (30.6.2012, non-Market) worked perfectly. :(

I tried to update Pleco on my PRS-T2, the update went well and the application could be started for the first time. But when I tried to kill the application and re-start, it crashed. Also a restart of Android did not help.
What is really a pity is that even a downgrade to 2.3.8 is not possible because the additional (purchased) dictionaries are probably not compatible between these versions. After the downgrade, only Pleco and the User dictionary are available.
Before, I was very happy with having Pleco installed on a E-ink device. This made reading a pleasure. I was very well aware of the limitations with screen refresh etc.
What can I do?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Michaels1980 said:
Just a small bug I'm seeing on my Galaxy S3 running Cyanogenmod 10.1. It's only minor but I thought I'd report it anyway.

Thanks - Night Mode switching is a little bugged in general but we're going to fix that as soon as we can. The basic problem is that getting Night Mode switching to work seamlessly involves the sort of subtle changes to two dozen different screens that have the potential to introduce new rare crashing bugs, so in general we'd rather save it for a larger release that we can properly beta-test.

aiwen said:
I tried to update Pleco on my PRS-T2, the update went well and the application could be started for the first time. But when I tried to kill the application and re-start, it crashed. Also a restart of Android did not help.

That's odd... could you send me the crash log? Run it again so that it crashes, then run the free "aLogcat" utility (APK available here) and send us the unfiltered output.

aiwen said:
What is really a pity is that even a downgrade to 2.3.8 is not possible because the additional (purchased) dictionaries are probably not compatible between these versions. After the downgrade, only Pleco and the User dictionary are available.

Delete them all in Add-ons / Installed, kill / reopen Pleco, and then re-download them - the old versions are still available if you're running 2.3.

jiacheng

榜眼
Just started using Pleco on my shiny new nexus 4 and noticed that there is no options/menu button when in the file browser to backup or restore the flashcard DB, so you can't create a directory.

The percent signs are doubled in Settings > General > Audio settings > Lulu TTS Speed

Attachments

• IMG_20130118_175245.JPG
    IMG_20130118_175245.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 939

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
jiacheng said:
Just started using Pleco on my shiny new nexus 4 and noticed that there is no options/menu button when in the file browser to backup or restore the flashcard DB, so you can't create a directory.

That's odd - we'll investigate, thanks.

Michaels1980 said:
The percent signs are doubled in Settings > General > Audio settings > Lulu TTS Speed

That's actually normal (applies in a lot of other places too) - basically there's a bug in certain versions of Android that will cause the preferences system to crash if you include a single % sign in a label (the % is supposed to act as an escape character) but will not convert the two %%s into one like it's supposed to do. So we insert the two %%s rather than one since screwed-up display is much less annoying than crashes.