Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 1 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

skripp

举人
Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 1 Bug Report / Feedback Thr

Hmm... well it could be a conflict with Android 4.0 on the Xperia, I suppose, we have one but we were only testing with 2.3.3 - we'll try 4.0 shortly and see what happens.

I use 4.0 on my xperia arc with no such problem, so It's unfortunately(?) not that general.

When handwriting during flashcard review, has the pen become thicker than in 2.3.x? During HWR the pen tool is very thin, though. I also believe in flashcard review the pen tool is much 'slower' than before.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

skripp said:
I use 4.0 on my xperia arc with no such problem, so It's unfortunately(?) not that general.

Yeah, not seeing it here now that we've updated either... very odd.

skripp said:
When handwriting during flashcard review, has the pen become thicker than in 2.3.x? During HWR the pen tool is very thin, though. I also believe in flashcard review the pen tool is much 'slower' than before.

Yes, I just noticed that too - not sure why it suddenly got thicker. The slowness is partly from that (more pixels changing = slower), but it's also because we had to switch to an alternate drawing method in order to get it to be genuinely translucent and keep the buttons accessible; this was a VERY popular request (people really want to be able to keep drawing without fiddling around with the pen button) so we felt it was worth the small tradeoff in lag.

Wan

榜眼

mikelove said:
Hmm... well it could be a conflict with Android 4.0 on the Xperia, I suppose, we have one but we were only testing with 2.3.3 - we'll try 4.0 shortly and see what happens. Sorry for the hassle. (BTW, you'll want to roll back to the old data files too, since the new ones won't work with the old app)
I do in fact use Android 2.3, not 4.0. But I will upgrade soon. How to roll back to the old data files?

LantauMan

进士

mikelove said:
LantauMan said:
I haven't installed the beta yet, but I want to know whether you've addressed my request to include an option to force the device to stay on? Didn't notice that on the list. That's my sole beef with the current Pleco, that if I set down my phone for 30 seconds, I have to unlock the screen again to look up the next word. In classroom or many conversational settings, this is a nuisance. I'm prepared to sacrifice battery life in order to have the device always-on when Pleco is open (as a user-defined option, of course). If you have implemented this change, I'll give the beta a try. If not, I hope you'll include it in the next iteration. Cheers.

No, we're waiting to see if more requests come in before we consider implementing that - it's actually more complicated than you'd think given how Android handles auto-off requests. However, you can probably find a hack (for a rooted phone at least) that will let you dynamically change the auto-off timer for any app, or at the very least one that will let you disable auto-off altogether.

That's disappointing. My phone isn't rooted, and I have no reason to do so. As I said before, Pleco is godsend for an advanced beginner like me, trying to carry on Chinese conversation without fits and starts--except for the fact that for security reasons, the screen shuts off after 30 seconds of idleness and has to be unlocked. Even if I adjust it to 60 seconds, the shutoff adds hiccups to conversation and lessons, especially when I'm really into it and therefore likely to fumble the screen-unlock gesture three or four times in my anxiety to continue. Disabling auto-off is possible in Android 2.2, but it isn't a one-stop task and isn't something I want to have to remind myself to do (and then undo) each and every time I pick up my phone to use Pleco (often enough each day).

I believe you when you say that it may not be as easy to implement as I might have thought, but I hope a request like this makes enough sense that you don't need a big show of hands to add it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Wan said:
I do in fact use Android 2.3, not 4.0. But I will upgrade soon. How to roll back to the old data files?

Have to delete everything and reinstall, unfortunately. Back up your flashcard database first via Flashcards / Backup Database.

We didn't see this on 2.3 either, so still a mystery... have to see if we can roll our Arc back to 2.3 to test further.

LantauMan said:
That's disappointing. My phone isn't rooted, and I have no reason to do so. As I said before, Pleco is godsend for an advanced beginner like me, trying to carry on Chinese conversation without fits and starts--except for the fact that for security reasons, the screen shuts off after 30 seconds of idleness and has to be unlocked. Even if I adjust it to 60 seconds, the shutoff adds hiccups to conversation and lessons, especially when I'm really into it and therefore likely to fumble the screen-unlock gesture three or four times in my anxiety to continue. Disabling auto-off is possible in Android 2.2, but it isn't a one-stop task and isn't something I want to have to remind myself to do (and then undo) each and every time I pick up my phone to use Pleco (often enough each day).

Well it's relatively easy if we only make it work in the dictionary search / definition screens and no other screen - would that be sufficient to make this useful?

LantauMan

进士

mikelove said:
LantauMan said:

Well it's relatively easy if we only make it work in the dictionary search / definition screens and no other screen - would that be sufficient to make this useful?

For my own personal, selfish purposes, keeping the screen on just in dictionary search/definition screens would be all I need. It's really the only time it's necessary, when in conversation or lessons and every so often I need a quick search. When using flash cards, normally there's enough constant interaction that the issue of screen locking rarely arises. Naturally, I'd guess not everyone would want this, so it needs to be a user setting.

ckatt

状元

I'm not seeing a way to adjust the stroke thickness in the flash cards. Am I looking in the wrong place.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

LantauMan said:
For my own personal, selfish purposes, keeping the screen on just in dictionary search/definition screens would be all I need. It's really the only time it's necessary, when in conversation or lessons and every so often I need a quick search. When using flash cards, normally there's enough constant interaction that the issue of screen locking rarely arises. Naturally, I'd guess not everyone would want this, so it needs to be a user setting.

We actually already have a "keep screen on" option for the document reader, this is just another one along with that - with flashcards I tend to agree that there's not much call for it.

ckatt said:
I'm not seeing a way to adjust the stroke thickness in the flash cards. Am I looking in the wrong place.

It's currently configured by the same setting as handwriting stroke thickness, though we probably should consider separating them.

ckatt

状元

mikelove said:
ckatt said:

It's currently configured by the same setting as handwriting stroke thickness, though we probably should nsider separating them.
Ah, that's what I thought, guess I've found a bug then . The stroke is medium in the dictionary but quite thick I'm the flash cards.
I'm using an HTC one V not rooted or anything.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

ckatt said:
Ah, that's what I thought, guess I've found a bug then . The stroke is medium in the dictionary but quite thick I'm the flash cards.
I'm using an HTC one V not rooted or anything.

It looks like the bug was actually that the handwriting width was half what it was supposed to be (we were using the radius instead of the diameter of a circle), but since that half-width stroke was what everybody was using in handwriting / flashcards before, we'll keep it that way and apply it to the new flashcard drawing box too.