Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 1 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You know what to do. Not sure what the bug to feedback ratio will be here but I expect there'll be quite a lot of both - with crashing bugs, please download the free aLogcat utility from Google Play (or this alternate link), run it (preferably ASAP after the crash), and attach / PM / email us the log output.

Re: Pleco for Android 2.4.0 Beta 1 Bug Report / Feedback Thr

Was the update supposed to delete user entries, etc? Or, perhaps this is the "old" ABC dictionary entries?

Sorry I don't have a screen shot of BEFORE doing the upgrade.

Tapping the "?" bottom right side does cycle through dictionaries, and shows a valid entry for PLC, OX, TL, GF, CC.

So, I'm "guessing" that it's because of the ABC dictionary? Perhaps some changes?

It took several taps to get the ABC dictionary to come up. Then, it came up on the "Welcome page", introducing Pleco. After that, it showed up in the cycle list when pressing the "open book" icon.

So, it was a bit unsettling!... Would there perhaps be some recommended way to either clear the screen, or reload the "on screen" word after the new dictionary is downloaded and installed? (For release version at least, to not scare the customers!)

Note, I installed the file and then said yes to all updates. There were two points where it asked if I wanted updates.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-09-15-22-55-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-09-15-22-55-11.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 1,179

A second thing I noticed is that it put my ABC Compr. dictionary last in the list, rather than first, where I had it before. Or, perhaps I had it second, and my "User 1" dictionary first... (I don't remember :oops: )

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges said:
Was the update supposed to delete user entries, etc? Or, perhaps this is the "old" ABC dictionary entries?

Shouldn't delete any user dictionary entries, no... is there any dictionary that yields 'null' results when you cycle through, or is it just in the merged search that you see them? Which version of Pleco were you using before this, 2.3.14 or an older one?

I was using the "merged" dictionary. All others seem OK during cycle. However, as noted, pressing the right side ? did not include ABC in the cycle. Pressing the top one didn't either until I selected ABC, when it came up with the "invalid" selection, and then that intro screen about Pleco. Searching worked after that.

Feature request :) -- I'd like to have cursor keys work in the reader to advance to next word, and shift cursor to extend selection (either forward or backward). I have a TF101, and right now have keyboard attached. The on screen right/left arrows do work.

My user dictionary IS working, by the way. It's still showing my custom entries when I pull up "Dragon Rider" book in Chinese.

Sorry: I was using most recent version before beta.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges said:
I was using the "merged" dictionary. All others seem OK during cycle. However, as noted, pressing the right side ? did not include ABC in the cycle. Pressing the top one didn't either until I selected ABC, when it came up with the "invalid" selection, and then that intro screen about Pleco. Searching worked after that.

Might have been a glitch relating to the databases updating in the background - so it's working correctly now?

stephanhodges said:
Feature request -- I'd like to have cursor keys work in the reader to advance to next word, and shift cursor to extend selection (either forward or backward). I have a TF101, and right now have keyboard attached. The on screen right/left arrows do work.

Should already be supported if you turn on the Dpad option in Settings / Reader - mainly intended for Sony Reader users but it ought to help with this too.

stephanhodges said:
My user dictionary IS working, by the way. It's still showing my custom entries when I pull up "Dragon Rider" book in Chinese.

Well that's a relief at least :)

Yes, the keyboard works after I turned on the "DPAD" setting. Perhaps you could add the word "keyboard" to that description in settings! I didn't know what a "DPAD" was.

I had mentioned the user dictionary as my first thought, since that was wiped out by one of the early updates in the last beta cycle, so I was a little sensitized to it. But, it seems it was the ABC dictionary having changed. and left those "null" entries. Looking up "victory" afterwards did work for all dictionaries.

I haven't seen any other glitches. I'll have to try some things out "off the keyboard" tomorrow.

Stephan

Wan

榜眼

Pleco 2.4.0 Beta 1 started up fine the first two times. Then I did all the available updates (cc dict, ABC and one more?), now it crashes on startup. I’ll send you the logfile.

skripp

举人

I may have just been dreaming, but I think I read somewhere that this update would include the ability to add example sentences to flashcards. Right now there seems to be no way.

Also, at least on my SE Arc, if you share a web page (tried both firefox and the built in browser) and try to look up a word you a just thrown to the dictionary, but whatever you searched for prior to this is shown. Not a problem from clipboard orfrom a local file.

Edit: off topic, why is it that I can't find the pocket oxford in the iOS app store? Is it like that for everyone?

Is there a way to search for all words of a tagged classification within ABC? For example, I would like to search for all computer terms (<comp.>).
ABC: "处理机 chǔlǐjī N. <comp.> processor"

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges said:
Yes, the keyboard works after I turned on the "DPAD" setting. Perhaps you could add the word "keyboard" to that description in settings! I didn't know what a "DPAD" was.

Good point - definitely needs a better label.

stephanhodges said:
I had mentioned the user dictionary as my first thought, since that was wiped out by one of the early updates in the last beta cycle, so I was a little sensitized to it. But, it seems it was the ABC dictionary having changed. and left those "null" entries. Looking up "victory" afterwards did work for all dictionaries.

Good - probably was a database update download issue then.

Wan said:
Pleco 2.4.0 Beta 1 started up fine the first two times. Then I did all the available updates (cc dict, ABC and one more?), now it crashes on startup. I’ll send you the logfile.

Well that's an interesting one, an out-of-memory error related to a lack of virtual memory address space - does it help if you reboot your phone?

skripp said:
I may have just been dreaming, but I think I read somewhere that this update would include the ability to add example sentences to flashcards. Right now there seems to be no way.

Not this update, no - that's waiting on a flashcard database format revamp that'll probably happen in our next big update.

skripp said:
Also, at least on my SE Arc, if you share a web page (tried both firefox and the built in browser) and try to look up a word you a just thrown to the dictionary, but whatever you searched for prior to this is shown. Not a problem from clipboard orfrom a local file.

Might be a glitch relating to our switch to not always starting up on the main screen - we'll investigate, thanks.

skripp said:
Edit: off topic, why is it that I can't find the pocket oxford in the iOS app store? Is it like that for everyone?

It's not available on iOS yet.

stephanhodges said:
Is there a way to search for all words of a tagged classification within ABC?

Not at the moment - we've had a couple of requests but we haven't yet come up with a good way to integrate this into our search box without introducing a confusing extra button or somesuch.

Not at the moment - we've had a couple of requests but we haven't yet come up with a good way to integrate this into our search box without introducing a confusing extra button or somesuch.

Well, I just tapped the link. That would seem to be the obvious place. Perhaps a touch and hold to get this feature, if you want to retain the "what is this" nature of the existing implementation. Or another option setting! :shock: It IS an advanced feature, so touch and hold would work. It's not something often done, I imagine. I suppose you'd have to build yet another index for it!

Wan

榜眼

mikelove said:
Well that's an interesting one, an out-of-memory error related to a lack of virtual memory address space - does it help if you reboot your phone?
Unfortunately, rebooting the phone didn’t resolve the issue. Anything else I could try, apart from downgrading? Like deleting some configuration file, or emptying a tmp directory?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges said:
Well, I just tapped the link. That would seem to be the obvious place. Perhaps a touch and hold to get this feature, if you want to retain the "what is this" nature of the existing implementation. Or another option setting! :shock: It IS an advanced feature, so touch and hold would work. It's not something often done, I imagine. I suppose you'd have to build yet another index for it!

Those are pretty easy, actually - could have a generic "return all entries with this tag" system working in maybe an hour or so of coding time - but I'm not sure if touch and hold is the answer since it would require someone to find an entry with that term first.

it would require someone to find an entry with that term first.

How about a "page" of all entries, or a special dictionary entry that was just entries, if that's not too recursive a description :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

stephanhodges said:
How about a "page" of all entries, or a special dictionary entry that was just entries, if that's not too recursive a description

Well if people really just want lists of words with specific tags we could just create a flashcard file that gave you them - that would be easier than adding a separate UI for this.

LantauMan

进士

I haven't installed the beta yet, but I want to know whether you've addressed my request to include an option to force the device to stay on? Didn't notice that on the list. That's my sole beef with the current Pleco, that if I set down my phone for 30 seconds, I have to unlock the screen again to look up the next word. In classroom or many conversational settings, this is a nuisance. I'm prepared to sacrifice battery life in order to have the device always-on when Pleco is open (as a user-defined option, of course). If you have implemented this change, I'll give the beta a try. If not, I hope you'll include it in the next iteration. Cheers.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

LantauMan said:
I haven't installed the beta yet, but I want to know whether you've addressed my request to include an option to force the device to stay on? Didn't notice that on the list. That's my sole beef with the current Pleco, that if I set down my phone for 30 seconds, I have to unlock the screen again to look up the next word. In classroom or many conversational settings, this is a nuisance. I'm prepared to sacrifice battery life in order to have the device always-on when Pleco is open (as a user-defined option, of course). If you have implemented this change, I'll give the beta a try. If not, I hope you'll include it in the next iteration. Cheers.

No, we're waiting to see if more requests come in before we consider implementing that - it's actually more complicated than you'd think given how Android handles auto-off requests. However, you can probably find a hack (for a rooted phone at least) that will let you dynamically change the auto-off timer for any app, or at the very least one that will let you disable auto-off altogether.

Wan

榜眼

I downgraded to 2.3.14 and it works like a charm, so it’s not a problem of the dictionary upgrades (though you probably already knew this). I’ll stick with this version until the next beta, and then try again. The layout is indeed cooler on 2.4.0b1, as I recall :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Wan said:
I downgraded to 2.3.14 and it works like a charm, so it’s not a problem of the dictionary upgrades (though you probably already knew this). I’ll stick with this version until the next beta, and then try again. The layout is indeed cooler on 2.4.0b1, as I recall :)

Hmm... well it could be a conflict with Android 4.0 on the Xperia, I suppose, we have one but we were only testing with 2.3.3 - we'll try 4.0 shortly and see what happens. Sorry for the hassle. (BTW, you'll want to roll back to the old data files too, since the new ones won't work with the old app)