Pleco Desktop

Fernando

I don't think it's very useful to think about which group of users would see themselves unjustly treated. This is about an economic calculation. Making the Mac version free now will create the perception that the windows version should be free as well if it's ever created, preventing it from seeing the light of day if it turns out to be viable at a price. Now if the windows version isn't viable even at a price, then I don't think it should stop the Mac version (either free or paid) from existing. In that case windows users should simply understand that the development costs for their platform are much too high to justify it. If neither version is a sound business proposition, then neither ought to be created, if both are, great, but if the mac version makes sense from a business perspective while the windows one doesn't at any possible price/demand level, then I don't see why the latter should hinder the former.

Shun

状元
I feel we are entering a slightly too hypothetical terrain here. Overall, it's great news that a Mac version of Pleco will see the light of day with a very high probability. Does anyone know if there is any move from Google and Microsoft to bring Android apps to Windows? Android is much more different from Windows than iOS ever was from macOS, but with Apple's growing integration across almost all product categories, Microsoft and Google may feel the need to move closer together. In any case, I'm happy that Apple's future looks bright, and I am very curious to see how far they will be able to take the Mac platform with Apple Silicon over the next 5-10 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: JD

Fernando

If economic talk is a bit too abstract I think we can illustrate the issue with the case of another indie/small-scale developer that makes a very fine app: Scrivener. Those guys started out on Mac many years ago, and at some point they created a windows version of their app. They did create an iOS app, which is also very fine, but their focus is desktop, where they started, so expanding to windows makes perfect sense from a biz perspective. But, as I understand, right now they're having a hell of a hard time bringing their windows app to feature parity with the mac one. They've hired outside help for development but the thing (Scrivener 3 for windows) keeps getting delayed. I have no doubt that their development costs are much higher for windows than for mac, but they still have to sell both licenses for the same price. Right now what you buy on windows is inferior to what you get on mac, a suboptimal situation, but if they waited for feature parity between the platforms to release the app they'd be stuck with a fairly outdated and uncompetitive mac offering. It just seems true, other questionable commercial practices aside, that apple is trying to make it as easy as possible to develop for their platforms, and this trend is just increasing with Catalyst/Apple Silicon macs. Windows is a solid desktop platform, but MS don't have a mobile platform they can draw some momentum from. I can see them doing some deals with google to help them out, but the new trend for them seem to be open source (e.g. new Edge browser).

Fernando

Just a quick update on the example I mentioned above: I've been using the release candidate beta of Scrivener 3 for Windows for the past couple of weeks and it's pretty nice. I guess they're finally pulling it off.