Palm webOS and Pleco

Dr.Grace

秀才
Concerning switching to WinMo: I heard on a different forum that the new OS coming out by the end of the year will be following the trend set by the iPhone, i.e. touch-centric, and a very different beast. So will Pleco support devices running the new WinMo OS? Seems to me that this could be just as much a can of worms as WebOS.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Windows Mobile 6.5 is a negligible architectural change from Windows Mobile 6; it uses the same version of Windows CE (the underlying operating system), all they've really made touch-friendly is the shell for browsing / launching applications. (also improved Pocket IE a bit, supposedly, though lots of people have already switched to Opera) So other than possibly making it difficult to launch Instant Access from something other than a hardware button press, it shouldn't have much of an impact on Pleco.

Windows Mobile 7 is still largely rumor at this point, but supposedly that too will retain largely the same internal design. Windows Mobile 8 is when they're really changing things, I think - Steve Ballmer recently suggested that Windows Mobile may eventually converge with desktop Windows (the catalyst for this will be a new mobile-phone-friendly version of the Atom processor that Intel's cooking up), which would be fine with us since it should be easy to port the Windows Mobile version of Pleco to that.

But it's impossible to promise anything about future versions of any operating system at this point - it's not inconceivable that Microsoft might eventually release a .NET-only version of Windows Mobile, which would require something close to a ground-up rewrite of Pleco, and if at that point 95% of our sales are on iPhone we might not necessarily be able to justify doing that rewrite. The Windows Mobile version could get cast into the dustbin in a few years just like the Palm OS one. The mobile phone industry moves way too quickly to purchase any device as a long-term investment - if you want to always be running the latest version of Pleco you may need to be prepared to buy a new handset every 2 years or so.

gato

状元
A big part of the appeal of a web-based version for me is simply cutting down on all of the "when will you support Platform X" talk - we'd be able to offer something to people with almost any modern smartphone platform while our really good native software was reserved for just one or two.
The lag is not a big deal when downloading web pages like an online newspaper, but it's huge problem for a web-based dictionary. Even a 10-second lag (which is fine for an average web page) would be too much for looking up words in a dictionary.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Wouldn't be anything like a 10-second lag, though - this would be using AJAX, so we're not fetching a whole page, we're just sending out a little packet (XMLHttpRequest) with the search term and getting a few hundred bytes of data back which our (JavaScript) code then inserts into the appropriate page element, no reload / reformatting required. The transfer / processing time is negligible so most of the delay would be in network latency, but as long as we had a couple of appropriately-geographically-distributed servers it should be possible to get that down to an acceptable level.

ipsi

状元
I wonder how you're going to be able to secure the web version of Pleco in such a fashion that someone can't come along and point their own code at your web service, send through a bunch of queries, and effectively acquire the dictionary definitions in plain text. There's a bunch of other issues I can think of regarding a web-enabled Pleco, but that's the one that I think will present the most risk for you.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Part of that's just the price you pay for having a web-based dictionary; heck, people have extracted the full text of the ABC from Wenlin by copy-and-pasting. We may have to start loosening up about that anyway - I had an incredibly cool idea last night for a new flashcard feature which could potentially involve similar exposure to automatic data extraction.

But there certainly are some protections we could add - scrambled entry IDs, for example, so that you can't go through and fetch every entry from the dictionary sequentially, combined with something to block user accounts from querying the database with too many invalid IDs (or just fetching too many entries in a short period of time). We'd just have to be careful to design these in such a way that they wouldn't create any problems for legitimate users.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, that's a promising development but it remains to be seen whether it'll be robust enough to run Pleco - of the other emulators available, both StyleTap and GarnetVM can only run 1.0 and even for that they're somewhat less-than-optimal, so I wouldn't get my hopes up for running a full-featured version of Pleco on Pre yet. (it'd certainly be nice if people could, though)

Jim

榜眼
Motionapps already has a list of compatible apps so it might be worth your while Mike to get a copy of Plecodict to them. They may be willing to try work out any major bugs.

koreth

榜眼
Also, the fact that they can run an emulator seems like it implies that it'll be possible to run native code on the Pre, since they presumably didn't write the emulator in Javascript. Though they are probably being given privileged access to the low-level stuff so maybe that's still not an option for everyone else.

The emulation announcement means Pre just got a lot more attractive to me, but if it can't run Pleco it is probably not an option.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ipsi - Already registered, given the thousands of Tungstens and Treos we've sold for them over the years I'll be somewhat ticked-off at Palm if they don't let us in :)

Jim - A lot of bugs could probably be worked out on our end, actually - some features might be flat-out impossible (like audio, unless they support ARM code like StyleTap sort-of does) but hopefully most of them could be made to work. If they just get us an early copy of the emulator we can do the rest :)

koreth - Palm have said that they did indeed give Motionapps privileged access, so it may be a while before it's possible for us to do a native Pleco port.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Already signed up, but I'm not optimistic that we'll get in - there are lots of other titles that are likely to be useful to a larger percentage of Pre users than Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
See this newly-merged thread for the thoughts on it so far - we're hopeful that we'll be able to get it working, but since I think it's unlikely Motionapps will give us access to Classic before the Pre is released, and since I'm not necessarily taking time off from iPhone development to stand in line for 4 hours at a Sprint store the day the Pre is released only to find that they're sold out of them for weeks, it may be a while before we actually know :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Based on the newly-posted FAQ at http://motionapps.blogspot.com/, things are looking pretty good for Pleco 2.0 on webOS - according to that, it does in fact support ARM native code, emulates an SD card, lets us read out the device's serial number (so no need to retool the unlocking / activation system), and seems to support all of the APIs we need - the things they say they don't support (like the built-in audio codecs on some Palms) aren't things that we use anyway. No support for larger than 320x320 resolution, though, so that's a bit of a bummer, but hardly makes the software unusable.

So the main potential problem area is if there's some sort of specific bug / conflict between Classic and Pleco - hopefully that bug would be fixable, though the lack of a built-in debugger may make that a little more complicated / time-consuming than it would be otherwise (and since we haven't heard back from them, it doesn't seem like we're likely to get into the pre-release compatibility testing pool, meaning we wouldn't be able to even start working on it until after the Pre is released).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We haven't been given any access to Classic, so we probably won't know about compatibility until after the Pre is released. (possibly a while after, since stock is supposed to be tight and we won't necessarily be able to get our hands on one the first day they come out, though perhaps a customer or two will chime in with unofficial reports on / shortly after launch day)