one-handability and user interface bloat

Yes, it's bloat: I can no longer use 2-panel mode because it's filled with useless stuff that I can't reach in any event, thus blocking the dictionary's core function: it's a dictionary, and you prevent it from being that. Your design isn't just indifferent to one-handed use, but proactively against it: one advantage I pointed out (my luck in the location of the dictionary in the popup definition) you declare you're intentionally going to eliminate and put it out of reach. In flashcards, I've lucked out that the control buttons are to the left of "reveal"--let me guess, you've been planning to move it to the right side, out of reach. So I try to adapt to one-handed use, where the useless input method bar actually becomes useful to me as junk padding so that I can reach the top entry, which I can't do with the keyboard closed. I might ask: why not stack up the hits from the bottom up instead of the unreachable top of the phone down so that the one-handed user doesn't have to open the keyboard just to reach the top hit.

Now, in the entry itself, I actually find something that I might use (the sentences), and I encounter a set of tabs just like I see in so many other apps that all provide swipability--except Pleco is unique in making them unswipable. You say that if users aren't using STROKE, there'd be no problem swiping. And the Play Store--one app that every one of your Android users uses extensively--has that same edge swipe along with its swipable tabs. But instead of doing the common thing, you just disable it entirely. And you say that even if you work out your imagined technical, the one thing you won't do is the common thing of swipable tabs: instead of doing the normal thing, your going to take that specific opportunity to experiment. In short, I'm taking a very personal beatdown here, and it looks like I'm being punished for not participating in the beta and screaming my head off over every little design decision. And your excuse is that you're now locked into the groupthink that developed in the beta--my god, you've found the most extravagant reasons to avoid tab swiping. And, oh yeah, the OCR shortcut doesn't work. You could throw one or more of the missing and eliminated features into "miscellaneous," and you don't have to go with "expert" and dismiss categorically any kind of expert category. That's just not responsive, which is altogether different from the kind of support you've provided up till now. In fact, that kind of responsiveness gave me the confidence to not participate in the beta because any major oversight used to be responded to. A radical change in attitude has accompanied the radical change in user interface.

I've lost a lot of functionality with version 3, so you've locked me into 2.4. I've tried really hard to adapt to 3, and you won't even lift a finger to alleviate the groupthink that you're encouraging. Are you going to stonewall on legacy support? If so, I'd like a refund. I've given lots of feedback over the years, so I think I merit a free ticket out. Because without legacy support, sooner or later the app is going to break entirely, and I'll have basically been screwed out of my money.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm getting pretty fed up with your continued disparagement of our beta-testers, who've contributed a lot more to this product than you have, so rather than take any more time responding to you I think I'm going to take you up on your excellent suggestion of giving you a refund. (though we do in fact plan to keep fixing bugs in 2.4.x for as long as people want us to)

So that's now done - mostly refunded to your PayPal account except for your Google Play purchase which will go back to Google Wallet.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, I do have to answer a few of these:

There's a difference between being responsive and doing exactly what you personally want - an unresponsive developer wouldn't be reading / responding to all of these suggestions, at least not in detail (a generic "thanks for your feedback!" and nothing more). The difference in attitude accompanying 3.1 is that now simplicity / ease of use not to mention maintainability are larger concerns than they used to be, so a lot of suggestions that I wouldn't have had a problem with before are now rejected on those grounds. My response to many of your requests has been "we'll consider it if we get a lot of other requests for it" - that's the primary change, viewing even an off-by-default option as bringing tradeoffs that have to be weighed against how many users it will help.

On your specific points: we already fixed the OCR bug in 3.1.1. Tabs in flashcards are probably staying put. The dictionary button placement in the popup definition may have been fortunate for you but it was sub-optimal even for right-handed users operating their phones with one hand. Stacking search results up from the bottom is a massive hit in ease-of-use (people don't expect lists to work that way) for a small ergonomic win for users who happen to be using their phone in the same way that you are.

With swipeable tabs, I could well imagine that a few months from now we'll find that that actually is the best use for that swipe gesture - the definition screen in general is still evolving - but if we add them now and then decide they aren't then we've only made matters worse. Having already experimented with them in a developer build of our iPhone app I'm quite wary - there are other little concerns too, for example the fact that people often tend to scroll diagonally (especially if operating one-handed) and if you're supporting both horizontal and vertical scrolling anywhere on the screen it's pretty much impossible to avoid sometimes misinterpreting something as a scroll in the wrong direction. (I frequently find myself irritated by this in Android apps like GPlay that support both directions)

Last edited:
So that's now done - mostly refunded to your PayPal account except for your Google Play purchase which will go back to Google Wallet.
I got the PayPal part, but I've never used Google Wallet. On Wikipedia it says, "Google Wallet does not support devices purchased outside the United States." I purchased both of my phones outside the U.S. How do I retrieve the funds from Google wallet?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
They should have been refunded to your original payment method - if you've ever bought anything through GPlay then you have a Google Wallet account whether you signed up for it or not. You can check the status of that refund at wallet.google.com.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Search for the original transaction and see if that lists as refunded. If not, it might be taking a while to update online because it was made so long ago - we actually had to put in the request manually with Google support, though they've already confirmed they've issued the refund - in which case I'd suggest instead checking with your bank (or whoever produces the credit card that's linked to your GPlay account / was linked to it when you bought that add-on) in a day or two to see if the credit has posted.

Still no refund. I see that I never used Google Wallet before because I've always just depended on Google's emails to the Gmail account I use for my phones. I also haven't received any any email related to Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Have you contacted Google customer support? They already tell us that they've issued the refund - is your payment method from that purchase still valid?