November 2017 Ebook Launch

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, website doesn't offer much in the way of up-to-date product descriptions in general - it's the sort of thing that always ends up at the bottom of our priority queue because anyone qualified enough to rewrite it (or even just closely supervise a third party rewriting it for us) has more important stuff to work on :)

pdwalker

状元
Yeah, website doesn't offer much in the way of up-to-date product descriptions in general - it's the sort of thing that always ends up at the bottom of our priority queue because anyone qualified enough to rewrite it (or even just closely supervise a third party rewriting it for us) has more important stuff to work on :)

I’m going to go out on a limb here and suggest something crazy:

Cut and paste the descriptions of the existing offerings in the pleco app into the website. No editing (maybe some formatting).

Call it a days work tops. Half a day is probably generous.

Advertising your own offerings outside of your application only benefits you.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
TBH I don't think that would help much - absent a lot of other explanatory copy about how purchases work etc and some design tweaks to make it easy to browse through that list it'd just be a wall of confusing text.

I'm frequently tempted to just pull down the whole thing and replace it with a simple link to our app, actually, as many other mobile developers do - the app is free and will do a much better job of showing itself off than our website does, and our app store listing pages already get far more traffic than the website. The fact that we have a detailed website at all is kind of a relic of the Palm/WM days - most devs now don't bother with one.

Miguel

状元
I just realized this is in the Iphone (Mac) section. I guess right now it is also available for Android, right?
The Chairman's Bao I think it is a great add, I am a user of their platform as well and I love it

There's are some interesting issues with the Traditional character sets of the TCB books: 一 pretty much always renders as 壹, 隻 renders as 只, 面 showing as 麵 even when not appropriate, etc. Are these issues coming from TCB data set or from Pleco conversion?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Was about to say those were on our end but the 壹 made me think otherwise and upon inspection it looks like that's actually in their original data - not sure why. Any other particular issues you're noticing? We can probably do some light correction here assuming they're OK with it.

shaluig

举人
Another splendid manual that would be perfect for large format use on Pleco as an ebook is the Aperçus de civilisation chinoise : Les dossiers du Grand Ricci, ISBN 2204082686, best current (paper) copies are at Amazon France: HERE the other ones are over 150 USD.
Merci du conseil ! J'ai reçu mon exemplaire tout à l'heure et n'ai eu le temps que de le feuilleter brièvement,
ça me semble déjà extraordinaire. :D

IMG_20180216_140253.jpg

feng

榜眼
Too bad the New Manual isn't available for Kindle because I can't read for very long on LCD/LED screens. Kindle is so easy on the eyes. But I'd still strangle Jeff Bezos if I saw him : )