November 2017 Ebook Launch

Discussion in 'Pleco for iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch' started by mikelove, Nov 21, 2017.

1. lovepleco

lovepleco 秀才

I just ordered the android based eink reader JD Read Venus. It supports Android 4.4. Is this enough to be able to use it with these pleco ebooks?

Wan likes this.
  2. Can I be annoying and ask for a front cover as page zero?

Edit: (perhaps this is more e-mail appropriate, but...) Can we know how to write our own ‘Pleco e-book files’ for use with Pleco?

Edit 2:
    3FD72CAD-5E29-477A-A977-FEF40C2D1018.png

Any chance of full-screen or a disappearing scrubber (is that the right word)? It’s covering the text there at the bottom.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Wan likes this.
  3. mikelove

mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

In theory, yes, but I can’t make any promises on that - e-ink has never been an official Android feature so compatibility with these things is always a bit iffy.

@ACardiganAndAFrown - cover coming probably next week, already supported on Android (and the image is in the book download).

We’re not planning to make this format public, but we will be internally converting EPUBs to it in a future update, so you should be able to get this same speed / smoothness in those.

Overlap is a bug - thanks! Hidable controls coming probably in 4.0 or 4.1.

4. epub 3? audio? video? all compatible?

5. mikelove

mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

Initially just formatted text, links, (probably) images, and TOCs - EPUB 3 versions of those too, but audio / video probably not until a later release (we don’t support them now).

6. ctop

ctop Member

Thats good to know. Speaking of Version 2 of the New Manual, is there a protocol to report textual problems such as misprints and typos? Should it go here or directly to the author?

Ctop

7. mikelove

mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

If you know / are in contact with Endymion you can send it to him directly, otherwise send it to us and we’ll collect + forward them.

8. just a quick note: clicking boxes inside boxes does nothing.

9. mikelove

mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

Yeah, this should also be addressed by the new tables-in-regular-Pleco-fields function in 4.0.

10. Just to clarify in case there was any misunderstandings: I meant box links, for instance in Box 3 there is a link to Box 57 but the link doesn't work.

11. kvnchg

kvnchg Member

Just purchased the Graded Chinese Readings, but would really prefer if I could convert it to Traditional Chinese. Thanks.

transalpin likes this.
  12. waterchestnut

waterchestnut Member

I’m interested in Chinese History: A New Manual, but I’m not much of a fan of ebooks being locked to a single app. I assume you can’t get the Pleco ebooks out of Pleco for more reading flexibility and backups?

13. mikelove

mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

Unfortunately not, sorry.

14. JD

JD 榜眼

What about Sinolingua’s Rainbow Bridge series? Perhaps a bit “light” for some of the power users on this forum, but it has a much broader range for the beginner.

Edit: link to series http://en.sinolingua.com.cn/list.php?catid=133

Edit 2: this series is nice because it covers a wide range of cultural touchstones, myths, legends and stories that kids would grow up familiar with in China, but that non-Chinese wouldn’t come across in regular reading materials.

15. waterchestnut

waterchestnut Member

Too bad. Thanks for the quick reply, though.

16. mikelove

mikelove 皇帝 Staff Member

@JD - I literally just wrote to them about that the other day, haven't heard back yet though.

JD likes this.