No Matches(exact or approximate) were found for the search..

Man2Toe

Greetings fellow Mandarin learners.

Pleco got me hooked. I use the software daily now and love it. This is why when I come upon the message; No Matches(exact or approximate)were found for the search query entered - I get a bit irritated. Just in one sitting while reading Harry Potter I came across these two characters that gave the No Matches message. 襬 和 弔.  

Will the future patches add words like this in the database?

Would it be possible to have a ”living dictionary” on the Pleco website to update our systems when missing characters are discovered?

I guess these questions are for you 皇帝. For other readers, maybe this post would be a good place to start listing other characters that give the No Matches message.

Peace,
May your brain be like duct tape, everything that comes in contact with it sticks!

Man2Toe

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Install the free UniHan add-on database from http://www.pleco.com/dictaddons.html and that will give you a basic definition for every individual character that the our software supports. The handwriting recognizer we licensed supports a lot of characters that aren't in any of our built-in dictionaries, and we've chosen not to filter them out since it's a lot more frustrating to keep writing a character and not get a match than it is to write a character, get a match and discover it's not in the dictionary.

ipsi

状元
I just checked on my copy of Pleco, and those characters only appeared in the Unihan and CEDict ones (both free, by the way). I would highly suggest (if you have room) installing all the free dictionaries, as they add a lot of basic definitions for words that don't appear in the paid dictionaries.