MoE Minnan and Hakka dictionaries

alex_hk90

状元
Thank you for this contribution. I've been using this recently and it has been helpful.

Question: (Other than each entry's pinyin field) why were the tone diacritics converted to tone numbers? Were they not supported by the font? I'm not as good at reading the numbers compared to the tone marks.

You're welcome, David.

It's a long time since I looked at this but I think you can use/import the version with tone diacritics if you prefer?
According to that page they "do not always display well", but to be honest I don't remember too well as it was 5 years ago now...

daoge

Several diacritics don't display for me on Android (most notably the 'vertical line above' used for tone 8). I tried using a custom font, but still no luck. I'd be thrilled if there was a fix for this, since I also prefer the diacritics to tone numbers.

Screenshot_20201009-190117391~2.jpg

David

举人
Thanks! I downloaded the dictionary with diacritics, and while they don't display perfectly, the ones I looked at seem to all show up on iOS. Daoge's newer version has some more entries (I didn't find simple words like 閲讀,上班,下課 for example in the older one when I search by Chinese) so I'll keep both versions.

Shun

状元
Hi Dragon,

I copied the link out of Alex's GitHub page above (for the numeric-tone pinyin PQB dictionary file, which should display most reliably):

https://www.mediafire.com/?l82x99c26ncgdqv

If you download the file using your smartphone, and in Pleco, go into Settings > Manage Dictionaries > Add User > Load Existing, then open the file "MoE-Minnan-v04-numeric.pqb" you've downloaded, it will be added to the end of your dictionary list.

Enjoy, Shun

Dragon

秀才
Hi Dragon,

I copied the link out of Alex's GitHub page above (for the numeric-tone pinyin PQB dictionary file, which should display most reliably):

If you download the file using your smartphone, and in Pleco, go into Settings > Manage Dictionaries > Add User > Load Existing, then open the file "MoE-Minnan-v04-numeric.pqb" you've downloaded, it will be added to the end of your dictionary list.

Enjoy, Shun

Thank you!

hu82

Hi Dragon,

Enjoy, Shun
I don't see the Add User toggle under the Manage Dictionaries page. Only an option to reorder my existing dictionaries. Is there a workaround by chance?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
User dictionaries are (confusingly) part of our paid "Flashcard System" add-on; you need that in order to be able to install or use them.