How to learn in batches with SRS?

Discussion in 'Pleco for iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch' started by Edsko de Vries, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Chrysmc

Chrysmc Member

This is an amazing help. Thank you. I'm so grateful to everyone who takes the time to post. I had an awesome Skype session with Shun, which worked well for my learning style and got my basic settings in place. Now, with these settings, I can expand on them. Thanks again.

2. Chrysmc

Chrysmc Member

I've set up my test profiles with the settings that have been so kindly shared. Thank you Edsko and Pdwalker. You're truly wonderful. I've just run into a couple of minor issues that I'd like to ask you about.

With the Reading (New Words) profile, I don't get the option to reveal separate parts. The test settings list 'Number of choices'. The option for this is 4 or 5. And 'Choices from'. Options are All cards, Session catergories and custom categories.

In the Pinyin testing, I get a message to say 'No flashcards found'.

I'm loving the app now, especially with the variety this setup gives me. I'm not the smartest compound in the character, so any help is warmly welcomed!

3. Shun

Shun 状元

Hi Chrysmc,

too bad I can't be of much help here because I prefer the simpler "splitting categories, repeating them back and forth and setting card filters" approach to the SRS, because I feel it gives me more control.

Just a thought that came up regarding the "No flashcards found" message: Could it be that you have already studied the category using the first setting, then after switching to Pinyin testing, used the same scorefile? If so, you could try creating a dedicated scorefile for each testing profile. For that, you just switch between profiles and add a new scorefile under "Scoring" / Scorefile / Manage / New for each profile. But as I've stated, I may be thinking in the wrong direction. :)

4. Chrysmc

Chrysmc Member

Hi Shun,
    It was your help which gave me the start to being able use Pleco at all and I'm super grateful for it! Thank you. I'm still using your concept of smaller categories and I choose multiple categories to study, depending on my current focus. I'm not sure if that's a good way of doing it or not but at this early stage, it seems to be doing the job. I was able to use the same categories for each of the other testing, even after using them previously. But I'm actually quite confused about scorefile. Can you explain it to me at all? I created the 5 different scorefile profiles (Reading, listening, writing, speaking, pinyin) but didn't enter any parameters for the them. (That sentence alone probably shows how little understanding I have!).

5. Shun

Shun 状元

Yes: A scorefile keeps scores and the history (how well you've done, or how many answers were correct/incorrect) for each card in the flashcard database. If you're good at reading, the scorefile of the "Reading" profile will have higher scores than, say, the scorefile of the "Listening" profile. Having different scorefiles lets you keep the record of your learning success separate for each discipline. This will influence the selection of cards Pleco tests you on in the different disciplines.

6. Chrysmc

Chrysmc Member

Ahhh, ok. So I don't need to set any parameters up because Pleco does it for me. And I can see the results in 'statistics'. My Pleco fog is starting to lift!

7. pdwalker

pdwalker 榜眼

Yeah, it took me awhile to get my head around it. This thread is what got me my clue.

After you've played with the different tests, you may change your test profiles based on what works for you. For example, when I first ran my listening tests, I would only show audio. However, I had to many problems identifying the sounds based on a single character (as many words share the same sound and intonation), so I changed my listen test to also show the characters.

Once you've gone through the settings for yourself, re-read the pleco documentation. It's a great reference, as long as you already know what you're looking at, which is true for most things unfortunately.

8. pdwalker

pdwalker 榜眼

It's been a year, and I've changed a few settings based on how I am learning.

First my learning process is to review each new card until I've gotten it right three times in a row, then use the SRS system for long term memory review and testing. Thus, for each thing I wish to test, I have to sets of test settings - one for new words and one for review.

I only recently learned that getting a card wrong resets your score to the lowest value, which is reasonable if you only use the SRS for memory training.

However, with my system, if I get a character wrong, I am forced to review it three more times correctly in a row before it goes back into the SRS rotation. Thus, I do not want to reset my scores back to a low value. Instead I'm reducing the score by 50%. My justification is, if I "forgotten" something I already know, I'll relearn it faster and remember it better the next time it comes around, so I don't want it to show up as often as characters I am in the process of learning for the first time.

Perhaps if I were starting again, I use only just use the SRS, in which case I'd use only the review test profiles with all the character filters turned off and the default scoring parameters, and forget the new words test profiles.

Notes: For the tests, I normally set the # of cards to use per session to "all". If I'm in a hurry, and I only want to do a few, I'll set a lower number and have several review sessions during the day, depending on my mood, drive, and how far behind I am. I'm I'm all caught up, I'll leave it on "all".

Since my deck has a lot of single words and characters, it can sometimes be hard to figure out what character/word I am being tested on without having context. Since I cannot give myself context, I instead also show the character and pronounciation. Take for example, 还. Is that hai2? or huan2? or xuan2? (ok, I'm cheating. That last one is really obscure), or shi4 (是? 世? 事? 士? 室?... ) I'm running into this more and more as I learn new characters/words/meanings, so for listening, and writing, I'm giving my self some extra information in order to help me figure out which character I should be recognizing, writing, speaking, whatever.

I suspect I may not be using optimal settings, so I'm always open to suggestions on how to improve my settings.

I guess this is why Mike want's to hide some of the test settings in the future. ;-)
    PlecoSettings.png

Attached Files:

9. I have tried a few different learning settings, in the beginning I also used to separate new flashcards from the SRS ones.
    Eventually, SRS is for me the ultimate learning tool. Whatever word I add today, I learn it within a few days with the SRS.

Say tomorrow and the day after, I'll fail the word. But the next day, I will remember it. Maybe after 10 more days I'll fail it once, but then that's it.

I figured out SRS can really take care of everything, so it reduces my learning setup.
    But I know everybody is different so it's difficult to find a pattern everyone agrees on.

Using SRS only, I can learn 70 new words per week. The number has gone up to 200 a few times when I went berserk on learning. But 70 per week is the average for the last 3 years.

I think one thing you could try is keep track of the new word count (visible in the Statistics page), and compare the number of weekly characters while you try different learning methods, to figure out which one works best for you!

10. pdwalker

pdwalker 榜眼

I think I'm coming around to your way of thinking.

My original thought was to make sure I reviewed the new characters a few times first since initially I will forget them so often. If I just purely start with SRS, then forgetting a character means I won't get to review it again for another day (I think).

Hmm.. Maybe I'll turn off the card filters for SRS and just try that for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback.

11. pdwalker

pdwalker 榜眼

That's at least 10 new words/phrases/cards per day! I'm no where near that and I struggle sometimes to even retain the memory of what I have learned.

How much time do you send doing your reviews?

Do you only use SRS just for reading retention? Or do you test yourself on anything else (writing, listening, pinyin, speaking)?

12. I only do SRS, only for reading retention.
    Actually for me, doing SRS for reading helps me on all levels, except for writing (with a pen). It helps me remember the character, the way it sounds and how to type it with a keyboard.
    I spend about 40-50 minutes per day doing SRS if I focus. That's about 200 to 300 flashcards per day. I think I used to be slower, but after 3 years of doing flashcards every single day, I became much faster, and my memory for learning Chinese also improved.

After I do the SRS, I fail generally around 25 to 35 cards, which I repeat until all are "correct". That part adds maybe 10 minutes to the daily practice.

Writing with a pen is the one part that I have neglected so far. In my experience (and probably due to my IT job) I never write, even English, and I feel that the time spent on writing Chinese would not be so useful in the end. Because I think it's very easy to forget the writing without practicing. The only things I need to write sometimes is my name and my address, nothing else...