Flashcards: Zhuyin (bopomofo) in fill-in-the-blanks?

Farodin

Hello,

I recently made the switch from Anki to Pleco for my flashcards, and the fill-in-the-blanks is my favourite test type so far. As far as I can tell, when prompted for the pronounciation of a character, the only accepted input is Pinyin. Since I am more familiar with Zhuyin (bopomofo), I was wondering if there is a possibility to enable that. If not, could I look forward to seeing this feature in a future release?

Kind regards,
Farodin

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It should already accept Zhuyin input if you download a third party keyboard from somewhere that lets you enter raw Zhuyin - I don't know if very many people are using that feature, so it might be that it's bugged in some way in a recent build, but the code to support it is there.

Farodin

Thank you for the replies.

It is rather strange. I am using the Android version of Pleco, and I do have a Zhuyin keyboard installed (which also allows me to type plain Zhuyin). However, when the prompt appears in fill-in-the-blanks, I seem to be getting a built-in Pleco keyboard which is always qwerty (even if my last active keyboard was Zhuyin). Note that the built-in Pleco keyboard looks nothing like my normal keyboard either. I have attached two images to show what it looks like. So far I haven't found any settings that allow me to change that Pleco built-in keyboard either.

@mikelove I assume you're referring to an Android third party keyboard, and not to a specific Pleco add-on?

@rizen suha The keyboard that comes up during fill-in-the-blanks, does it look exactly like your normal Zhuyin keyboard that you use outside of Pleco?

Attachments

• Normal_Zhuyin_Keyboard.jpg
    Normal_Zhuyin_Keyboard.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 374
  • Fill_In_The_Blanks_Keyboard.jpg
    Fill_In_The_Blanks_Keyboard.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 336

rizen suha

状元
looks the same, except for the top line with tone numbers etc that i have only seen calling the kb up here in pleco

Attachments

• D4D5DDC7-B9D4-4334-A0F4-BAA67637FFB3.jpeg
    D4D5DDC7-B9D4-4334-A0F4-BAA67637FFB3.jpeg
    689.8 KB · Views: 327

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes - you'd want to turn on the option in New Test / Test Settings to use the system keyboard instead of ours.

Thank you for the replies.

It is rather strange. I am using the Android version of Pleco, and I do have a Zhuyin keyboard installed (which also allows me to type plain Zhuyin). However, when the prompt appears in fill-in-the-blanks, I seem to be getting a built-in Pleco keyboard which is always qwerty (even if my last active keyboard was Zhuyin). Note that the built-in Pleco keyboard looks nothing like my normal keyboard either. I have attached two images to show what it looks like. So far I haven't found any settings that allow me to change that Pleco built-in keyboard either.

@mikelove I assume you're referring to an Android third party keyboard, and not to a specific Pleco add-on?

@rizen suha The keyboard that comes up during fill-in-the-blanks, does it look exactly like your normal Zhuyin keyboard that you use outside of Pleco?
Dear Farodin,

You mention that you have a Zhuyin keyboard installed that lets you type plain Zhuyin characters.

Could you share with us which keyboard you are using for that?

I face the same issue and the Gboard Zhuyin input method only allows to type the Zhuyin characters by pressing on the keyboard buttons for a long time (similar to typing special characters) which is too slow for using the Pleco test function.

Thank you and Best Wishes!