External keyboard issue?

KRMORTON

秀才
I use Pleco on my large Ipad Pro with a Logitech keyboard case, often in split screen mode with Pleco open on one side and another app on the other. I find this setup very useful

I often enter text in other apps using pinyin and the keyboard. This works fine in other apps, but it doesn’t seem to work as I would expect when I switch to Pleco. For example, I set the keyboard language to pinyin and use the keyboard to write in notes. If I want to look up a word in Pleco, i use cmd + tab to switch to Pleco. When I type in the search box, the standard pinyin options box showing various characters appears below the search box (see attached screenshot), but I am not able to select any of the options. In order to enter a word, I have to switch the keyboard language to English, then switch back when I go back to whatever I was doing. This makes the setup a lot less convenient than it would be, especially as it is non-intuitive and I normally forget I need to do it

Also, when I use the keyboard language button on the keyboard a dialogue normally comes up on the screen, showing the available languages and which one is selected (please see attached screenshot). However this dialogue does not come up when I use the button in Pleco, even though pressing the button does change the keyboard language

If there was any way this could be sorted out, that would be super

PS still love the app!

Attachments

• 33DE900B-8103-4509-A99D-F8E479A831B0.png
    33DE900B-8103-4509-A99D-F8E479A831B0.png
    392.2 KB · Views: 412
  • 276A0079-A453-461F-81D7-025445DCB076.png
    276A0079-A453-461F-81D7-025445DCB076.png
    546.1 KB · Views: 456

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If you switch from handwriting to keyboard input in Pleco, does pinyin input work correctly then? (just tested here and it seems to) We'd love to get it working with the handwriting box visible, but that part of Pleco is extremely hacky at the moment (no way to avoid it, keyboard input management is one of the more bug-infested bits of iOS) and we haven't yet come up with a way to do it that won't introduce other, more severe problems.

KRMORTON

秀才
Yes, it does work like that - thank you very much. I guess I can use the system handwriting as a substitute for the Pleco one