External keyboard integration (IOS)

KRMORTON

秀才
I use an external keyboard (Logitech) with my ipad, and often use it to enter characters in pinyin. It would be great if it were possible to then use the keyboard to scroll down the list of dictionary entries, and to scroll within a particular entry, rather having to take my hands off the keyboard and tap the screen

It may be that this is already possible I am doing somehow wrong - in which case I apologise

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Should hopefully be coming in our next iOS update, along with a bunch of other iPad-as-desktop enhancements (like App Extension support).

Any progress on the external keyboard integration issue? I guess the next iOS update from Jan 19, 2016 should have happened already!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Should have said next major update there. But actually we've been holding off on this particular change even in our internal builds of 4.0 because of the persistent rumors that Apple is about to radically revamp iPad UI - they didn't do it in iOS 10 (despite many people predicting they would) but it's seeming increasingly likely they will do it in iOS 11. We're already more than a year past the launch of the iPad Pro and still nothing has changed on the software side, so there almost has to be some sort of major revamp in the offing soon...

KRMORTON

秀才
This would be a super-useful upgrade for me and IOS 11 must be quite a way off, if it were possible to do it before then it would be really helpful

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks, but to be honest we have so many other things on our to-do list that it's tough to prioritize something that's likely to be outdated in a few months.

When keyboard support does come, would it be possible to make so flashcards can be shown/answered with numbers (like in anki)? If so, would it be possible to answer cards with just a numpad, as well as a full keyboard?