Desktop version

No idea, we have to finish the Mac version first and then release it and look at how it does sales-wise for a while to see whether it's actually worth pursuing a PC version.

Not sure where you are with development, or what your budgets are like, but when you're ready for some serious QA efforts, I'd like to offer my time and experience.

I've just started using Pleco and it's been profoundly instrumental in my studies. I'd like to give back if possible. I have over 20 years in QA and Development experience.

I would be honored to assist in any way I can; no strings attached.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks very much - we're always happy to have more outside testers but we aren't at that point yet.

I figured this might be the case. My email with this account is valid. When you are at that point, if you can't get ahold of me on this forum, you can email me too.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are iOS and macOS Pleco versions gonna be released together?

Final release probably, but the beta will be iOS first. It may even be missing an iPad version in the initial beta, because frankly we'll get more than enough feedback from the first beta even without it and it'll save a little time if we don't have to make the iPad version presentable for that release. (there's actually a lot more iPad-specific code now than in 3.0, due to a combination of a navigation / UI revamp and some iPad-specific functionality like keyboard and mouse input)

LeonardoM

进士
Final release probably, but the beta will be iOS first. It may even be missing an iPad version in the initial beta, because frankly we'll get more than enough feedback from the first beta even without it and it'll save a little time if we don't have to make the iPad version presentable for that release. (there's actually a lot more iPad-specific code now than in 3.0, due to a combination of a navigation / UI revamp and some iPad-specific functionality like keyboard and mouse input)
That's great!
Hope it'll come soon. I'll keep coming to this forum to check for the beta release every other day or so. Can't wait!

LeonardoM

进士
I just applied to BLCU university in China, and Pleco on my Mac would simplify my life a lot.
In regular dictionaries I can enter a single word at a time, to understand its meaning. Pleco makes it so much better by pasting the entire sentence onto it and get the meaning of each word at first glance.
I really hope the 4.0 beta will come out soon!!! My lessons will begin in March :D

JD

状元
If you have another Apple device, Apple’s Universal Clipboard lets you cut-and-paste from your Mac directly onto the other Apple device (and vice-versa). I frequently cut-and-paste from Skype on Mac directly into my iPad’s Pleco.

LeonardoM

进士
If you have another Apple device, Apple’s Universal Clipboard lets you cut-and-paste from your Mac directly onto the other Apple device (and vice-versa). I frequently cut-and-paste from Skype on Mac directly into my iPad’s Pleco.

I do have Apple products, and I forgot about this function. I just hope it works between my iPhoneSE 2016 and my M1 Mac!

It won't solve the fact that my iPhone screen is very tiny, so I still hope in the v. 4.0 of Pleco, but thanks for pointing this out!

Reactions: JD

Ximis

I am a student learning Chinese, have multiple Apple silicon products, including new Mac. I lack an OCR-enabled Mac app. It would make my life so much easier.

Shun

状元
Hi Ximis,

just part of the answer, but did you know macOS already supports Chinese OCR out of the box with version 12 Monterey? Open an image containing text, and you will be able to copy from the text. It doesn't give you any definitions, but you could paste the Chinese words into Google Translate or into Pleco on iOS/iPadOS through Universal Clipboard.

Cheers,

Shun

Fernando

榜眼
but did you know macOS already supports Chinese OCR out of the box with version 12 Monterey?
Lol, I did miss out on that one. My mac's a 2013 Air, now stuck with Big Sur. Haven't bothered buying a new one yet cause I can't install pleco on it.

Shun

状元
Hi Fernando,

I'm glad to have taught you something. Here's some more information:

No Neural Engine is required for Live Text, either.
You could still install Monterey on a 2013 MacBook Air using this in-memory, non-permanent hack:

I haven't tried that one, but it should be fully reversible if it were to fail. The community around it is said to be very active, too.

Cheers,

Shun

Last edited: