Chinese Language on Windows Mobile 6

mfcb

状元
benclark said:
Is there a general consensus of which is better: PlumSip or ZTA4?
from my point of view they are pretty much the same functionality, with the one restriction, that on my device (htc touch pro) i did not find a version of ZTA4 that could work together with the physical keyboard. so i had to use plumsip and i am quite fond of it.

cheez

Something wierd I found out the other day when I was trying to send an SMS using Plumsip 6.1 The recipient couldn't see any words - only a series of question marks. I could see it on my Touch Pro. The people I sent the SMS to couldn't.

Is this only happening for me?

Didn't happen in ZTA4.

ldolse

状元
I doubt it has anything to do with ZTA4 vs. Plumsip. Just go into your message preferences before you send it and set the encoding to UTF-8. Not sure how to set that so it always remembers it.....

passport

this question is not 100% related to Windows Mobile, but yet....

When traveling in China I needed some phrases (mostly names of various places) to be in my WM device, so I placed them in "Note" fields of Outlook appointments on desktop PC, to have them transferred to Pocket Outlook during synchronization.

When Outlook synchronized data, I found that problems only starting, since Windows Mobile is not readily fit to display Chinese. I was in hurry and temporarily solved problem by copying MSLiu font onto Windows Mobile device. Some Chinese symbols appeared on WM device, some not (still replaced by "squares"). No registry editing.

But main disappointment came when I tried to change appointment on WM device with Pocket Outlook and sync it back to desktop PC. All Chinese symbols have been lost completely! I did submit myself to fact that displaying Chinese is not that easy, but was not prepared that Unicode data will be corrupted, no matter if it's displayed properly on device or not.

I'd like to ask - if anyone here had positive experience of synching appointments and other Outlook items from WM device to desktop PC, if such appointments contain Chinese characters? Will various registry fixes proposed here help to avoid corruption of data if appointments are edited on Pocket PC?

yangyilu

I just got my SE X1 a few days ago and been struggling to get chinese reading working. I have tried a few different approach and none seems to work.

As suggested earlier, I downloaded sunglobe.ttf to the windows directory and added windows\sunglobe.ttf,Sunglobe. It does not work. did I miss something? My X1 is on Windows Mobile 6.1.

Thanks to your help.

ldolse

状元
Did you install sunglobe.cab? Just copying Sunglobe.ttf to the windows directory won't set up fontlinking in the registry, which is required. My understanding is that the cab file will set up fontlinking.

Alternatively you can edit the registry yourself to set up fontlinking with whatever Chinese font you like. That's a bit more complicated though, if you search around this forum and others you can find more details. Google fontlinkmethods if you want more information outside of what's in this forum.

yangyilu

I did fontlinking as suggested in thi thread and it crashed my phone. There is no more english and only strange box. I have to do a hard reset to bring the original configuration.

Shadowdh

状元
Yangyilu... try out the ce star program... works fine on my x1 and you dont have to buy it just trial it... even after you have used up the inputs or the time has run out your x1 can still read chinese...

jizo

I am using HTC Kaiser, and had install A4 and Sun.cab, now the problem is I can receive and read the Chinese message or email, but if I send email or message, only a series of ????? will be displayed. I already set the encoded as UTF-8, can anyone help me out? how can I send message or email in Chinese and can be readable to the receiver? Thanks

goulniky

榜眼
If I remember correctly, the standard email application on WM6 can't handle it. I have the HTC Blackstone (Touch HD) and struggled with this earlier this year. I ended up purchasing FlexMail, you need to install the free CJK add-on and it works absolutely fine. I upgraded my ROM to 6.1 recently, reinstalled everything - in addition to Pleco 2.0, I have sunglobe.cab and A4, it all worked the first time around.

ldolse

状元
Email works fine, the problem is Winmo defaults to ASCII encoding instead of UTF-8. Each time you send a message you have to go into the message settings and set the encoding to UTF-8.

zhouyi

秀才
I downloaded Plumsip but I want to know how I can get it to work with the physical keyboard on my phone? Does anybody know? I also have a version of Hangwang but it seems to cause problems.

ldolse

状元
Plumsip automatically leverages the built in keyboard, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with all the keyboard variations out there. The simplest way to enable it is so use the key for european character accents - this will switch it to pinyin input mode. If you don't have that key you're stuck going through a difficult series of button presses and navigation in the touchscreen IME menus to enable pinyin input. You have to get to the point where the settings menu is accessible, then choose one of the 中文 options.

thph2006

进士
Does anyone have an alternate link to access the ZTA4 cab? I've been trying for over a week to access http://www.a4user.com and the download link at http://www.a4user.com/A4_down_sip.asp but I only get page access timeouts. I don't know whether their site's down or there's some other issue with accessing it.

Plumsip sounds interesting but since my Samsung Mondi keyboard doesn't seem to be on their support list and all their support info is in Chinese I'm a little nervous to just install it and see what happens. For all I know ZTA4 has the same issues.
Any other suggestions would be really appreciated.

Tom

roxie321

I just bought the HTC Touch Pro 2. This is my first WM phone and I am so confused about chinese input. I bought it in HK so the phone comes with traditional chinese but not simplified....

Im looking for software that I can turn on and off without too much hassle(like the iphone) because I only type chinese 10% of the time. Also, I would like to use the qwerty keypad.

I tried the plumzip but I dont like how it is permanantly on, and also it has no support for the keypad (which makes typing so slow)

Ive also tried CE star but the on screen keyboard is so tiny on my screen!!!

Does the ZTA4 work? The link doesnt seem to be working.... anyone have an alternative link?

can anyone help?? I bought this phone to use Pleco and it seems ridiculous that such an expensive phone can't even type simplified chinese!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ZTA4's website seems to work very intermittently, but if you keep at it you should get through eventually - you could also hunt around the internet for other ZTA4 download links. Doing the same thing for PlumSIP might also make sense, even more if you include "Touch Pro2" in the search query - there are lots of versions of both of those IMEs floating around, and at least the newer ones should have full hardware keyboard support.

ldolse

状元
zta4 doesn't have full hardware support. As for PlumSIP, full hardware support technically works but is non-trivially enabled on the Touch Pro 2(need to navigate several nested chinese menus). It relies on the key which accents characters for accents/umlauts, etc, and this key doesn't exist on the Touch Pro 2. There are some posts on this over on xda, no one has figured out how to map that key to the hardware keyboard yet.

So far that's the main inferiority over the Experia X1, which has that hardware key. All that said, I don't find Plumsip too bad to use with just the on-screen T9, and on my system it's not default. I still think ZTA4 T9 is a bit better, but unfortunately the vga version has some bad bugs with missing non alphabet characters in T9 mode.

danocm

mfcb,
I also have an HTC Touch Pro phone. Did you need to download a separate chinese font in addition to plumsip? or does plumsip also include the font to read chinese websites/emails/contacts, etc?

ldolse

状元
PlumSIP doesn't include a font, you'll need to download and install one. Read this whole thread for more info, but sunglobe.cab seems to be the best free choice for non-techie types.