Chinese Language on Windows Mobile 6

alexxx

秀才
ldolse said:
Google sunglobe.cab
Install that, then ZTA4 or PlumSIP, and you should be good to go.

that's what I did.
sunglobe is installed, and so are ZTA4 and plumsip.
Now I have the choice of two alternative chinese keyboards, with which I can easily input chinese (just tried it in Word).
But I keep on seeing garbage in Internet Explorer, which was the only program I was interested into...

P.S. all software has been installed on the device, not on the memory card

alessandro

mfcb

状元
hmmm, its a pity, that you need the PIE, it works perfect for me with Opera, but i can see what you mean... even i switched the options to UTF-8 the IE still displays garbage, unfortunately i did not find a good solution for the problem, even after some extended googling... but maybe i just did not use the right search, i'm out of ideas for now :(

goulniky

榜眼
I have a HTC Touch HD (amazing device, so happy the more I get used to it).

I have a similar issue as mentioned with Internet Explorer but with email. In addition to Pleco 2, I have A4 智能输入 installed with the sunglobe font, that lets me enter text in Chinese or surf websites in Chinese with Opera.

When I get emails in Chinese though, the subject line comes up fine, but the message itself displays in ASCII, even if I view in UTF-8, and I don't have the option to view in other Chinese encodings.

Is there a way to fix this?

ldolse

状元
The problem with IE (and any other browser/email program) is that most mainland chinese web pages are encoded in GB2312. A lot of traditional ones use Big5. The code pages for these charsets aren't included in the standard windows mobile builds. There are a few solutions to this problem:

Install the code pages
  • Unfortunately easier said than done. The relevant file is called wince.nls, and you can get the right version it if you search for it. However the only way to install it is download a ROM where someone cooked it in, or cook it in yourself.

Install CE-Star
  • CE-Star has a special hack which installs the full wince.nls file. However I believe it's this hack along with their anti-piracy garbage that makes CE-Star so flaky on many systems. However if reading this content is important to you you're pretty much stuck with this option unless you're technical and enterprising enough to muck with the first option.

goulniky

榜眼
ldolse, thanks for the detailed (but frustrating) answer.

Given what I've been hearing about CEstar, I probably won't install it. Will check on the xda-developers forum whether any ROM is available for the Blackstone (aka HTC HD).

Until I find a ROM to download, I will stick with A4 and go check my Chinese mail directly with Opera. And I'll check whether I can get any replacement email program that can handle Chinese.

ipsi

状元
Give Flex Mail a shot, but sure you install the Asian Encodings plugin. It seems to work well enough for me, but I also have CE-Star installed.

ldolse

状元
Goulniky, it's definitely worth searching xda - there are definitely a couple cooks out there that feel it's important to build an English ROM with true Chinese support, if one of them bought the touch HD then you may be in luck.

goulniky

榜眼
I just installed FlexMail, (FlexMail_Chinese_WM5.cab) and it seems to display Chinese fine, I just need to get my own pop3 account properly set up.
(edit): in the end, it didn't not work. synched outlook mails are ok, the subject line of pop3 emails is ok, but body text still not, probably a GB vs UTF encoding issue, but even with FlexMail Chinese, there isn't any way to set the encoding to GB.

This is all really strange, I have no problem viewing (simplified) Chinese with IE or Opera, it's just the text of those damn messages :x

The weird thing is, I have an auto-forward from my pop3 email to Outlook at the office. After synching, the emails that come out garbled in my pop3 inbox display perfectly in the outlook inbox. It looks like Outlook does perform the GB to UTF-8 conversion automatically.

ipsi

状元
As I said, you need to install the Asian Encodings plugin - it doesn't come standard. Once done, view the offending email and select Menu - Actions - Encoding - More - Chinese. If that doesn't work, not sure what will.

goulniky

榜眼
thanks ipsi, sorry I had assumed that installing the Chinese version would be enough, but you're right, installing the plugin (FlexMail_CJK.cab) does seem to do the trick, many thanks. I guess I'll have to go buy this software :?

ipsi

状元
No worries - glad you got it working in the end. It's good piece of software, quite flexible. I'd say it's worth it, but I didn't even bother using Outlook - just installed the trial straight off the bat. :)

had the same problems with ZTA4 and Cootek, additionally i dont like the CE-Star, fortunately i found plumsip, which is free, is as good as ZTA4 (if not even better) and WORKS with the physical keyboard on my HTC Touch pro... PlumSip download its in chinese, but i guess that should not be a mayor problem for a pleco user :wink:[/quote]

just got my HTC touch pro too, tried to install plumsip, I can see the input in the settings, but won't let me to choose it, so can you tell me which prog you installed, the QVGA or the VGA? any thoughts why I can't have it run? much thanks.

mfcb

状元
i installed "PlumSIP Pro VGA 6.1.zip"...

i also had initially some problems, as it did not recognize that my device is german OS, but after copying both parts (one part was in "program files", another one in "programme") together in both locations the problems went away 8)

goulniky

榜眼
I thought the QVGA version of ZTA4 had a nifty interface, worked really well on HTC TyTN (I). But the VGA version doesn't look as slick on my HTC Touch HD and often freezes. I just installed PlumSIP Pro (never heard of it before), will give it a try. Incidentally, what I got was VGA Pro. 6.0.. rar ==> V6.0.0012.CAB. Graphics is certainly not sophisticated but if it does the job...

mfcb

状元
goulniky said:
what I got was VGA Pro. 6.0.. rar ==> V6.0.0012.CAB. Graphics is certainly not sophisticated but if it does the job...
try to get 6.1, the major improvement is with the popup that contains the suggested characters when you type pinyin, the 6.0 version gets too many times into the way and also looks a bit awkward...

goulniky

榜眼
did a search, got it thanks.

getting the 1st popup option works by hitting the 拼 key. but how do you select the 2nd/3rd/4th option other than pressing 选字 to get all the choices on 9 keys (this is when using the thumbpad 拇指键盘) ? I guess this can't be done on the HTC Touch HD which has no physical keyboard

mfcb

状元
goulniky said:
did a search, got it thanks.

getting the 1st popup option works by hitting the 拼 key. but how do you select the 2nd/3rd/4th option other than pressing 选字 to get all the choices on 9 keys (this is when using the thumbpad 拇指键盘) ? I guess this can't be done on the HTC Touch HD which has no physical keyboard

i hope i guess right, what your actual question is, in the 9 keys keypad if you press the button (abc2) once you get the "b", if you press the button and move (drag) to the left you will get the "a", move to up, you will get the "2" and so on. i think its quite nice to enter things that way, after you get used to it (which took me very little time).

goulniky

榜眼
I got this alright, it works the same with ZTA4 (typing ABC twice to get BA etc.).
My question was different, when you get a choice of characters / words for a given pinyin, and you want to select the 2nd option, what do you do? The choices appear on a line between rows 1 and 2 of the ABC keys, but these are not clickable, all I could find is 选字

got it. say you want to type 'laoban' on the thumboard (拇指), you go 5(jkl) 2(abc) 6(mno, press and drag right for 'o') etc. You are then presented with 4 choices : 老板、老伴、老鸨、劳保. The first 2 match 'laoban', the last 2 match 'laobao'.
To select 老板, press and drag down 1, for 老伴 press and drag down 2 (abc), for 老鸨 press and drag down 3 (def) for 劳保 press and drag down 4 (中).

This was all with 6.0 - I got confused because 6.1 doesn't supersede 6.0, it's installed on top. I have now de-installed 6.0 and noticed that the interface is a little slicker, the choices now come all on one line above the keys much like ZTA4, much clearer. Only confusing thing is the language key at top left (中文/英文) shows status, not action. So 中文 means you're in Chinese writing mode, not that by clicking on it you would change to Chinese.

benclark

So I've spent the last half hour or so reading 4 pages of insights. I feel so enlightened that I am now overwhelmed. I now know that CEStar is a pain (thank you, as I was about to buy it before reading the posts!). Is there a general consensus of which is better: PlumSip or ZTA4?