Beta 6 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

denmitch

探花
golden chyld - thanks, bit too militant in stripping out formatting tags it seems. There's no more option for ~ replacement, it's one of a number of options that we're tentatively taking out but will bring back if a lot of users complain about their absence.
I like having the headwords in the example sentences. It makes practice and study using the massive amount of examples practical. Totally love the option to have them all listed in one spot from all dictionaries.

denmitch

探花
Found an issue with the pretty cursive fzyingxingbishu, some characters are not rendered in clipboard with the selected font. See screenshot.
image.jpg

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
denmitch - thanks! The cursive issue has to do with traditional variants - the traditional version of 別 is slightly different from the simplified version of 别 and the font only supports the simplified versions in those cases; we have yet to find a more traditional-friendly equivalent to that font that we can license for an acceptable fee.

Our other add-on fonts (Song/Kai) support the full GB18030 set and so should be able to display any traditional character quite happily, it's only this one that's limited.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not sure yet, but since we're packaging them singly I'd say $5 is more likely than $10; that has the added benefit of giving us room to go up if a later font license proves more expensive or has a smaller potential market. (e.g. if we license a separate Xing font just for traditional users)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We just rejiggered the Cantonese audio to break it into separate male and female add-ons (in part because we're considering chucking them both and replacing them with a second female set of higher quality that we've been quietly working on the last few months, which we'd probably then follow up with a correspondingly better male set next year); this won't affect what you've already downloaded in Beta 6 or even in Beta 7, but if you want to be using the latest versions of everything, go into Registration, write down your ID, Deactivate, Enter Registration ID, re-enter your ID, then go into Add-ons, Update the female Cantonese audio module and download the male one.

Last edited:

radioman

状元
I like the mods that I am seeing on the cog menu. (Might you add Tint/Highlight Colors" also? More on this below).

The following issues I am seeing with regard to the Reader / iPad Mini / iOS 7.

On a website in Browser (e.g., mobile.163.com/13/1017/05/9BC7T9U30011309M.html)

• The text on the actual site is not live for dictionary lookup. I am not sure if that is a function of how the original webpage was coded, but thought I would would mention it.
On the spyglass (flat text) page:
  • If a definition bubble is opened, and then you go back to the original web page, or even all the way back to the side menu, the definition bubble remains open and active.
  • If I bring up the cog menu and set the colors, sometimes the colors do not activate until I leave the menu, return all the way back to the original web page and reopen the spyglass/flat-text page. The same goes if I leave the cog menu open. The menu will not disappear as you page back to the original web page or even when opening to the sidebar.
  • When clicking on text to get definition, the text gets highlighted without the pull bars (like older versions). I like this presentation. However, some point I did see the pull bars, but could not reproduce it. I was thinking that you implemented the mode where upon initiation of the highlight of a word, the pull bars would be there, and then disappear after you start arrowing. But that is not the way it appears to be working (i.e., most all the time, no pull bar). Irrespective, there was some inconsistent behavior.
  • When pressing a character for definition, the character highlights with no problem. However, no definition popup appears for approximately 4 seconds. Once the bubble is up, advancing to the next word, as expected, works quickly.
  • When setting sidebar menu colors for night mode "Tint/Highlight Colors" appear to change the colors of the text in the cog menu. So setting the color to darker blue (so it is not so bright blue against a black background), makes the cog menu items (i.e., font) lighter. I would think that the the cog menu text items should simply be mapped to the text color.
  • Popup Definition Dictionary Switching area should extend to the bottom of the definition bubble (similar to previous versions), so as to eliminate the need to hit a very small target on the screen in order to switch the dictionary.
I would also like to suggest the following modifications to the interface for advancing the cursor:
  • Center Area Scrolling Modification: The side tap area is divided into 3 areas. The center area allows you to regain control of cursor positioning, or to scroll or reposition the screen text. My suggestion would be that in this center area, if you swipe the area up or down, it will immediately scroll per the swipe (rather than first having to tap to gain control within that area).
  • Side Tap Area Modification: (STRONGLY SUGGESTED)
    • press left zone, go left (yes, it works like this already).
    • press right zone, go right (yes, it works like this already).
    • Within either of the side zones, wherever I tap to advance, if I tap a half inch (or some predetermined value) in the opposite direction of the movement, the cursor will reverse direction and maintain that direction as long as I am tapping in same offset.
Example: - I start reading, tapping on the right zone to advance the cursor to the next character/word, per usual. Then I want to move the cursor to the previous words, while still in the right side area, I simply have to tap about a half inch or more to the left, and the cursor will advance to the left. Then if I move my finger back to the right about a half inch or more, then the cursor will start advancing to the right again.

I believe this would be an intuitive, elegant way to advance the cursor, alleviating the need to have to press all the way on the other side of the tablet to advance the cursor (I read with one hand).

BanMai

秀才
After changing dictionary while in flashcard test, it doesn't automatically change the card currently shown. (It does show up after I use the back and forward buttons)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman - thanks for the note on the site, we'll see if we can get that working.

Back button et al should not be tappable with the bubble visible, we'll make sure they aren't in Beta 7.

With the colors not activating, by any chance were you dismissing the screen without going 'back' from the color chooser? (failure to disappear relates to the popup visible problem and can also be fixed easily, thanks)

The pull bars are always active but now only show up in the reader when you try to use them (i.e., tap on the place where they would be) - this seemed less confusing / inconsistent than having them show up at first and then disappear. However, I suppose this might make them difficult to discover, and since you describe the behavior as inconsistent I'm guessing you managed to tap one of them without meaning to, so we may want to consider a different approach.

Popup appearing slowly I'm not sure about - does this happen consistently? We're certainly not seeing this behavior on any device here.

The tint color is supposed to be visible against the background color, since we use it in that role in a bunch of other places - if you change it to a point where it's not, you're going to find a lot of other text in Pleco difficult to read as well.

The dictionary switch button was moved to the top right corner of the bubble for consistency with where dictionary icons appear everywhere else in Pleco now - however, its tap area is expanded just as in the previous version.

For the center area modification, I assume we would be dismissing the popup bubble on the start of a scroll, correct?

For the side area modification, this feels like it would work well for people who knew about it but be thoroughly confusing and unintuitive for those who don't; you're assuming that everybody advances through text with their finger hovering just over the screen the entire time, but I don't believe that's the case. It also seems to me like if we were considering this it would make more sense to simply have more narrowly spaced areas on one side of the screen or the other, perhaps with some sort of subtle overlay so that you wouldn't accidentally tap on the wrong one.

BanMai - are you doing this in Card Info? We actually added a convenient new option for this ("Show switch dict option" in "Display") though we probably should fix this in Card Info too.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Update on that site: it looks like this is actually a WebKit bug - it's not returning correct information about the screen locations of characters. So sadly not much we can do about it aside from filing a bug report with Apple.

BanMai

秀才
radioman - thanks for the note on the site, we'll see if we can get that working.

BanMai - are you doing this in Card Info? We actually added a convenient new option for this ("Show switch dict option" in "Display") though we probably should fix this in Card Info too.
Yep through Card Info. I didn't know about that option. Thanks! Is there a way to display example sentences on the card w/o going through Card Info?

Shun

状元
Just a minor thing: When I look up a rare word in Dictionary Search, then tap on WORDS, the screen under it is blank (see screenshot). When I tap on SENTS, I get a message "No example sentences were found containing this word." Perhaps a similar message should be added to the WORDS screen? Otherwise, one might assume something went wrong.

Words.PNG

denmitch

探花
you're assuming that everybody advances through text with their finger hovering just over the screen the entire time, but I don't believe that's the case.

Been thinking about this conversation. I too read with my finger hovering over the screen. It is faster to tap past learned words and stop/slow down for new words than to read, scroll, and tap for the definition when desired. Anything that would make the navigation more convenient is welcome.