Ankidroid missing message, no more flashcards

heijopai

秀才
Hi there,

I just used the Pleco --> Ankidroid function with a lot of joy. Suddenly it stopped working.

Upon starting Pleco I get an error message "Ankidroid missing". See attachment.

I am not sure what happened there. It just stopped working. I reinstalled Pleco and Ankidroid but that did not help.

Phone info:

Phone: Pixel 4
Android verison: 11

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210104-093017.jpg
    Screenshot_20210104-093017.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 273

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's an odd one - are both apps up to date? Does Pleco have permission to connect to AnkiDroid? Does it help if you switch Pleco to its own flashcard system and then back to AnkiDroid?

Also, you say 'suddenly' - is there any chance your phone installed a system update recently (maybe without your even realizing it)?

heijopai

秀才
Yes, both apps are up-to-date.
It does have permission.
I cannot switch it back to the AnkiDroids system (as the option does not exist). Also, I cannot use the Pleco Flashcard system, because it displays AnkiDriod in the left menu. When clicking the screen switches towards another window and then back again to Pleco.
There was no system-update (the last update was Oktober 1st).

Thanks a lot!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Does it work any better if you delete Pleco again and then reinstall the APK version from our website? (pleco.com/getandroid)

Khaleesi

Hi! Just to confirm I'm having the exact same problem as the OP, down to every detail:

• Both Anki and Pleco have all relevant permissions. Both are up-to-date.
  • Upon booting Pleco, I'm given a notification saying 'AnkiDroid missing'.
  • Ankidroid is displayed in the left menu, but opening it leads to a weird system tracing settings menu(?). Can't screenshot at the moment, but can send one in the morning if you'd like. No option to switch to Pleco's own system from that. It's a bit weird.
  • No recent phone update as far as I can see.
I'm running Android 11 on a Pixel 5.

I've just tried downloading and installing the APK from your website as above @mikelove, but it doesn't open on install for me - just immediately crashes.

Thanks for your help with this - it's quite possibly my favourite feature of Pleco. I'd love to get it back up and running.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, we actually figured it out now - new Android 11 permission thing, rolled out with little fanfare in typically slapdash Google fashion. We already submitted an update to Google Play that seems to resolve it, we're just waiting for them to review it - the website version is just a way to get that update a bit faster.

But if that's crashing on launch there must be some other problem there - have you turned on the option to allow apps from unknown sources? Could you maybe try downloading it again just in case it was incomplete / corrupted the first time?

Khaleesi

Sorry, we actually figured it out now - new Android 11 permission thing, rolled out with little fanfare in typically slapdash Google fashion. We already submitted an update to Google Play that seems to resolve it, we're just waiting for them to review it - the website version is just a way to get that update a bit faster.

But if that's crashing on launch there must be some other problem there - have you turned on the option to allow apps from unknown sources? Could you maybe try downloading it again just in case it was incomplete / corrupted the first time?

Brilliant! Thanks for finding the cause so quick and for the update. Looking forward to it!

I had the option to allow apps from unknown sources enabled (it was necessary for installation), so I suspect your hunch about it being corrupted/incomplete to some degree was correct. As for now, I've uninstalled it and replaced it with the Play Store variant. If it's not long 'til the update then all's well!

Just a quick personal thanks for both fantastic response times and a phenomenal app.