3.2.x Bug Report / Feedback Thread

As a papercut type issue, the left-hand menu consistently resets itself to have *just* the dictionary link off screen, aligned perfectly, leaving no affordance to identify that it can scroll. At this point I've internalized scrolling to get to Dictionary, but after encountering this seemingly daily for a month (since my classes resumed) I figured I'd note it.

I have not identified the series of actions that results in this outcome, but my common use-cases have me switching in and out of Pleco from a custom Anki card (plecoapi://x-callback-url/s?q={{Field Name}}), copying and pasting across multiple devices (using clipboard sharing), and switching between the Clipboard Reader and Dictionary (via the search button at the top, where I proceed to review example sentences to try and figure out register since, well, Cantonese). I typically access "Clipboard Reader" via "Recent Documents" so that I don't have to click through the "Reader?" popup.

This is not a big deal and not worth addressing if it is some weird artifact only I encounter by virtue of my usage pattern. Maybe see if you notice it in your own testing? I'll come back and update this with a precise reproduction if I can identify how to do so consistently. (iPhone XS)

IMG_6233.PNG

I updated last night to the latest, will let you know.

Edit: reproduced on 3.2.57, twice today. Best operating hypothesis: might happen after app reloads from being suspended?

Last edited:

jurgen85

榜眼
I am able to cheat in a flashcard test by playing the audio for examples in the definition.

- Test type: multiple-choice
- Prompt for: chars + pron
- Show: definition

jurgen85

榜眼
Also, if the multiple choices include Chinese characters (like the measure words here), the entire definition will be rendered in the Chinese font rather than only the Chinese characters within it.

Attachments

• multi-choice-font.png
    multi-choice-font.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 281

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Edit: reproduced on 3.2.57, twice today. Best operating hypothesis: might happen after app reloads from being suspended?

That could be it, we thought it only happened on startup.

I am able to cheat in a flashcard test by playing the audio for examples in the definition.

Thanks.

Also, if the multiple choices include Chinese characters (like the measure words here), the entire definition will be rendered in the Chinese font rather than only the Chinese characters within it.

Looks like you're on Android, correct? That might be a bit tricky to override but we'll check.

Alexis

状元
1) I was trying to recommend a font to a friend, and realized it wasn't as easy to look it up and refer to it as I expected.

Reader/Settings: FZYingBiKaiShu
Add-Ons List: YingBiKaiShu
Add-Ons details: Handwritten Kai Font

Might it be possible to make font names consistent across the app?

2) I was also trying to look at my purchased add-ons, and also found it hard to scan to see the fonts purchased (especially since I bought the big reader pack a while back). Might it also be possible to preserve categories in the Purchased tab, perhaps only showing categories relevant to purchases made?

Thanks!

jurgen85

榜眼
Tab and line feed line height

While on my mad quest for grid alignment, I discovered that adding tab (0x09) and line feed (0x0A) glyphs to my custom font gave more consistent line height, which implies that Android is probably trying to fall back to a larger height for these empty glyphs.

For a font with a shorter height, the first row of list items is too tall, but it can be seen with the default font as well, noticeable in the last row of example pinyin with three rows or more (which can make that last row look like it belongs to the english part because it is closer).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Android vertical font metrics are kind of wacky - we actually had to customize Source Han Sans to remove a couple of glyphs that were too tall and were screwing up line height calculations for the entire font.

Our current plan when we port 4.0 to Android is to ditch their font system entirely and ship with our own embedded FreeType+Harfbuzz, at which point we should have much more fine-grained control over this stuff.

Su123

Hello (I emailed as well but checking here in case this is a better place is to ask) ever since downloading the new version, my clipboard no longer saves my place after I’ve read - there’s no memory when I go back and the clipboard starts at the top again. Is there any way to fix this issue or go back to an older version of Pleco?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Just checked here and clipboard location still seems to be saving correctly for me - this is on iOS? Are you using an iPhone/iPad? What model is it, and what version of iOS is it running?

Su123

Just checked here and clipboard location still seems to be saving correctly for me - this is on iOS? Are you using an iPhone/iPad? What model is it, and what version of iOS is it running?
Thanks so much Mike for checking! I am using an iPhone7 and ios 14.2. It doesn’t work for me even if I don’t close the app - eg if I switch between clipboard articles, it sets every article back to the beginning again.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, didn't realize this was looking through clipboard history - I actually didn't know that was a feature we ever supported :)

Anyway we'll investigate this for our next bug fix update, but I'm afraid that probably won't be until January as Apple is about to do their annual holiday shutdown and it's never a good idea to release an update just before then (in case there's something seriously wrong with it + you can't fix it until after the shutdown). In the meantime I'm afraid there's no way to revert to the previous version, but if you have our paid document reader add-on you can save your clipboard to a text file ('disk' icon at the top) and that should save its place correctly.

Su123

Thank you Mike! Really appreciate if it can be fixed.

Yes it used to save one’s place for all articles in the clipboard history, which I found very convenient vs. needing to save, particularly since most of the time it’s cumbersome to store quick read articles - and also no need to think about taking an action before exiting the app. I didn’t realize this was such an important feature until it was missing:eek:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, that's not surprising given how that's designed. If you create a new dictionary group with just the one dictionary you want to search in it, that should let you do that search in a single dictionary.

jurgen85

榜眼
The test "Length Filter" setting only affects the correct answer, while it would make sense to also apply it to multiple-choice alternatives (otherwise it kind of acts like cheating).