3.1.0 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

The favourites bar doesn't work very well on my iPad Air. I have to slide from right to left up to 10 times to make it appear. Anyone else with this issue?

Shun

状元
On my iPhone, the Favorites bar appears on the first swipe, just not on my iPad 3. (unchanged from the 3.1 Beta) Perhaps one can watch what happens on an iPad using the Xcode diagnostics tools when one makes a right swipe.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
@afritzse - the Night Mode clear button actually looks correct in your case; it's pretty much the exact inverse of the daytime mode one. But if it's too faint on your screen then perhaps we need to make it a bit brighter.

@pprendeville / @afritzse - we're not seeing this on our test iPads here; how are you holding your iPads? If there's another finger on or near the right side of the screen then it's possible the digitizer might filter out the additional right swipe.

Shun

状元
Great, thanks. I think for the night mode, one can assume a dark background, so the (X) could be quite bright.

I get the same result with the iPad lying on the table. It's probably a device-dependent touch screen sensitivity issue. The iPhone 5S also has some insensitivity at the bottom.

Last edited:

JD

状元
I'm on an iPad Air and also seeing the problem when trying to swipe to get the favorites bar. It usually happens in landscape mode and is quite noticeable. I tried it for a few minutes before posting here and sometimes had to swipe four times to get the screen to slide left at all. My best reproduction steps are to search for a word in landscape and then swipe up in the definition screen to get things to scroll a tiny bit, and the start swiping left several times. Sometimes it opens up right away, and other times it doesn't respond at all.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Very odd... I literally just pulled out an iPad and tried this 20 times straight and it triggered perfectly every time. Couple of thoughts:

a) Does it help if you start your finger outside of the screen?
b) Does it help you swipe within the toolbar instead of the definition area?

JD

状元
Very odd... I literally just pulled out an iPad and tried this 20 times straight and it triggered perfectly every time. Couple of thoughts:

a) Does it help if you start your finger outside of the screen?
b) Does it help you swipe within the toolbar instead of the definition area?

I tried both starting the swipe inside the Retina display area and starting on the bezel....it didn't appear to matter.

I'll try a full iPad reboot and see if that changes the functioning (I don't think I rebooted after getting the update last evening) and if it changes anything, I'll update the post.

Thanks
JD

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
What about swiping within the toolbar? (that'll help determine whether it's a scrolling thing)

JD

状元
What about swiping within the toolbar? (that'll help determine whether it's a scrolling thing)

Swiping up or down doesn't have a problem on the definition list or the characters found list. Swiping left/right on individual entries (to show the "delete" button) also works just fine. The only issue appears to be with the left-swipe to open the Favorites. Once the Favorites is open, the right-swipe works just fine to close it.

I also turned off the "multitasking gestures" in the iPad settings to see if that had any affect, but it didn't change the behavior.

JD

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, I meant that you should do the edge swipe from within the toolbar at the top of the screen (rather than the definition area below). If you perform your left swipe within that little area at the top of the screen, does it work reliably?

JD

状元
Sorry, I meant that you should do the edge swipe from within the toolbar at the top of the screen (rather than the definition area below). If you perform your left swipe within that little area at the top of the screen, does it work reliably?

In portrait mode, it appears to work fine, but in landscape mode, the swipe within the toolbar appears to be worse than in the main body. I just swiped 23 (twenty-three) times to get it to open.

It seems to work for a little while if I rotate the iPad to portrait, swipe LEFT, close, and then rotate back to landscape....then the LEFT-swipe works three or four times in landscape. But after that it starts behaving badly again.

JD

Last edited:

JD

状元
I also just duplicated the behavior on an iPad 2 in addition to the earlier report on an iPad Air. Again, for the iPad 2, it works fine in portrait mode, just not in landscape.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, that's a relief. We don't have any device exhibiting this issue, so no way to test whether 7.1 fixes it, but if it turns out that it doesn't we can explore adding other options (e.g. a second sidebar button on the right side of the title bar).

JD

状元
In re-reading the Apple support forum, I gleaned one more tidbit....it mentioned the problem only appears to exhibit itself when the iPad is help in landscape mode with the home button on the LEFT!!

So, I tried this, and if I hold my iPad with the home button on the RIGHT, Pleco works fine. Amazing usability quirk!!

By chance, when you are doing your testing, do you hold the iPad with the home button on the right? Then you would not see the problem.

(I always have the home button on the left because the iPad Smart Cover hinge is then at the top and the cover stops falling down into my lap).

JD

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It seems like it's having trouble detecting swipes from outside the screen there, yes - works fine if I start from the edge of the screen, though.

A

abdrifter

I don't know whether this issue has already been reported. While in Flashcards, when I look up a character, 筹, for example (quick-look up, not in the actual dictionary), it often gives me the opposite character set.
Actually, I think it always shows the opposite (Traditional) set (just looked at some example sentences). Also, I don't mean the popup definition, but that right-pointing arrow at the left-hand bottom corner, whatever the technical name.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, known bug which is fixed in the 3.1.1 update that we submitted on Monday but are still waiting for Apple to review.

Shun

状元
In re-reading the Apple support forum, I gleaned one more tidbit....it mentioned the problem only appears to exhibit itself when the iPad is help in landscape mode with the home button on the LEFT!!

So, I tried this, and if I hold my iPad with the home button on the RIGHT, Pleco works fine. Amazing usability quirk!!

Same here. To add to this, the Notification Center from iOS 7 slides out easily from all four edges of the screen.