3.1.0 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We clicked on the button to release it 9 hours ago, Apple's catalog seems to be taking an eternity to update for some reason.

Shun

状元
I have it now, congrats. It's a delight to use. Perhaps it couldn't be avoided that I lost most of my settings from version 3.0.0.

While the insertion mark in the dictionary search box is now visible in Night mode, the round (X) on the right to clear the search box isn't. (Black background color) Possibly it could be set to "Item tint color". I imagine this might be tricky because the round (X) is provided by the OS.

Last edited:

dcarpent

榜眼
Under the "Words" tab, I now see the new option that lets you open/collapse the lists of "Words Beginning" and "Words Containing." This is a great addition. Thanks! However, the words are no longer listed in order of frequency of use. Is this a bug, or do now have to select a setting to get the lists sorted?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
afritzse - are you sure you had those settings activated in the release version of Pleco and not in the beta? (two different apps as far as the OS is concerned)

For the (X), we actually have a lighter image for that that we use in Night Mode - have you adjusted the night mode toolbar color to something other than the default?

golden chyld - also strange; again, any chance this was moving over from the beta? (I know you didn't have the latest one but perhaps you were using 3.0 beta before this)

Beijingmac - what do you mean? You just press the back button to return to the main dictionary screen - if you're trying to get back to it more rapidly from several layers deep, turn on "sidebar button everywhere" in Settings / Miscellaneous and you can tap-hold on the sidebar button to jump to a new search from anywhere.

dcarpent - yeah, we were actually trying to find a compromise there so by default we sort Starting by pinyin and Containing by frequency, and Containing by default also includes Starting (rather than only covering characters located later in the word). So we think we cover pretty much everybody that way without even needing a settings change.

Alexis

状元
Noticed some duplicated merged results related to character variants.

ie. pu3bian4 has 3 results:

普/溥遍/徧
普/溥徧/遍
溥/普遍/徧

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Taichi - this one's been reported, we're going to submit a 3.1.1 update today to fix it. In the meantime you can use the Batch screen to reassign categories instead. (add / remove the selected cards from the category of your choice)

Alexis - another data file issue, actually; relates to HDC not tagging those three as variants of each other yet (you'll notice that all three of them have HDC entries).

Last edited:

yuvalcho

举人
From flashcards i click on a character, then the ">" button to look for additional information and it flips it to traditional set.
ex. in flashcards 钱. press ">" shows me 錢[钱]. though from dictionary there is no such problem.

denmitch

探花
I had to really dig to get the App Store to pick up this update. I also lost a few settings (Reader pop up font settings). No big problem though, was just excited to bring it to my iPad where I have more real estate.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, the settings thing turned out to be a 2-year-old bug that for some reason never hit on quite the right combination of circumstances to be widely triggered until this update. We've fixed it in 3.1.1 but of course by the time that's out most people's settings will have already been partially reset.

A

abdrifter

Pardon my ignorance, but in flashcards when prompted for quality I used to see days. Now, with 3.1 it's back to the boring "perfectly/barely". What do I do to change this? Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That one was a 3.0 addition that we rolled back because the math was inaccurate / problematic and it's going to be challenging to fix until we overhaul flashcards - decided removing it was better than leaving a misleading version in.

My confusion. I had lost the "side bar everywhere" preference, which I was relying on for initiating new searches. It's back.

Shun

状元
afritzse - are you sure you had those settings activated in the release version of Pleco and not in the beta? (two different apps as far as the OS is concerned)

For the (X), we actually have a lighter image for that that we use in Night Mode - have you adjusted the night mode toolbar color to something other than the default?

Yes, that was in the release version. I can't verify all the lost settings because now that the update is done, I can't go back to the previous version with its settings. The main thing I can remember that was lost were the color settings.

Yes, the night mode toolbar color is almost black. The lighter (X) image should then be easily visible, though in my case, it's still pretty dark. I attach a screenshot.

IMG_0154.PNG