3.0.0 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

dcarpent

榜眼
dapangjiaozi, thanks! I agree that a button would be helpful. Is there any way to constrain the number of dictionaries that are being used to generate the list? The list is SO long and there is no way to scroll through it quickly.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
AdrianLondon - actually that's normal on a reinstall, Apple no longer provides us with a device identifier that's persistent between reinstalls so we have absolutely no way to tell that the older cloud history came from this device rather than a different one with the same device name. But what this suggests is that the data is being saved to iCloud's data store OK but is not then synced with the cloud.

dcarpent - there's an option in Manage Dictionaries to exclude a particular dictionary from "compounds" which is a grab-all for related-words searches like this. So flip that option for the dictionaries you don't want compounds from.

Shun

状元
dapangjiaozi, thanks! I agree that a button would be helpful. Is there any way to constrain the number of dictionaries that are being used to generate the list? The list is SO long and there is no way to scroll through it quickly.
In a similar vein to dcarpent's request, I would welcome the ability to just browse through an individual dictionary. For a dictionary like the Chengyu dictionary, this may be an important way of getting related chengyu.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
As I've mentioned, you can already do that - just tap-hold on that dictionary's icon in the definition screen and select Browse, or go into Settings / Manage Dictionaries and access its Browse screen through there.

Shun

状元
As I've mentioned, you can already do that - just tap-hold on that dictionary's icon in the definition screen and select Browse, or go into Settings / Manage Dictionaries and access its Browse screen through there.
Thanks. I will give the version 3.0 manual a close reading when it comes out, so as to fully exploit all the features... :)

... what this suggests is that the data is being saved to iCloud's data store OK but is not then synced with the cloud.
Thanks for the fast responses, Mike. I'm going to call it quits for the time being; maybe it just needs time to sync properly.

laobaigou

举人
Kudos on new version!! Esp like the search function for documents. But search always seems to want to use the standard IOS input method and not the Pleco "HWR" mechanism. Zat true, or is there an option for that? Sorry if this has been covered; I didn't see it. Thx.

Last edited:

jlnr

进士
The welcome screen is just a single little message to keep the first thing you see from being blank, nothing more - better welcome screen is coming soon.

Oh, then I should have been more specific. It only appeared after I focused the search box, it was not visible before. That's what made it so easy to miss. (Might have been because it was an update, not a fresh installation...)

Also: After my invalid flashcard session was cancelled and I wanted to start a new one, Pleco told me that I have very few flashcards and asked if I wanted to import HSK flashcards. I have almost 9000 cards :) Pleco also reset my flashcard profile to Simple from Spaced Repetition.

And a feature request that I honestly can't see becoming reality, but...I'd love to use the Kaiti font only for cards with a score >X. Kaiti is really hard to read for me, and it adds some difficulty to cards that I've seen a lot already, yet I don't want to use it for everything because most of the 'real world' in Taiwan uses a more Song-like font.

jgal.66

jgal.66 - any chance the volume might be turned down? With the crash, are you using iCloud sync? User dict import format didn't change yet, but we do now support full-text indexing in user dictionaries (helpful for reverse searches) - enable that in Manage Dictionaries.
Hi Mike! No, the volume was set at maximum and no sound (other applications are OK)
For the crash, do not remember if iCloud was ON or OFF at that time. Now, compact is OK, and iCloud is ON.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
laobaigou - not an option yet, we'll add it in a few releases but it's a little dicey due to the popover interface we use for that search screen on iPad.

jlnr - that's a funny bug with card importing - any chance all of these cards are in Uncategorized? Interesting idea on flashcards, we certainly do want to exploit the new fonts for testing on some way.

jgal.66 - try adjusting the volume while audio is supposed to be playing - could be that those apps are using a different audio session type.

jgal.66

jgal.66 - try adjusting the volume while audio is supposed to be playing - could be that those apps are using a different audio session type.
Thanks Mike, it works well. The iPod setting was to adjust "Ringer and Alerts" with buttons. Increasing the volume by the buttons before Pleco Playback does not change the volume, but during Pleco Playback, the volume is adjusted and sound appears.

gato

状元
"View in browser" should be changed to "Browse dictionary", I think, as "browser" can be confused with Internet browser.

It's a bit hard to move between definitions in the browse mode. And how to get back to the browse view once one is in the definition view?

For a moment I thought right swipe worked as a back button, but it only brought up the sidebar. Should think of a way to allow moving between entries. I mentioned as "back" and "forward" button earlier. Maybe left and right swipe can be used if the right swipe is not used to bring up the sidebar. The menu icon on the upper left corner already does that, so maybe no need to use the right swipe for sidebar as well.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
jgal.66 - glad to hear it.

gato - good note on that, "Browser" is confusing. Tap on the back button (top right corner) to return to the browse view, or tap on the up/down buttons to scroll through it - this is admittedly a bit less than optimal on iPad, though, at some point we'd like to give this a dedicated two-panel screen like History but those are very fiddly to get right and we didn't have time in this release.

Another iCloud update: On both devices (iPad on iOS7, iPhone on iOS6) I enabled iCloud sync for flashcards. Works perfectly. This also created a file visible under "Manage Storage / Documents & Data".

Still no search history though.

Well that's very odd then... I don't suppose you inadvertently turned cloud history off instead of on, did you?
haha - *quietly goes to check* Nope. They're both set to enabled. I don't suppose you've coded the toggle the wrong way around? :)

I've tried disabling them, rebooting, re-enabling them ... Yes, odd. I'll wait to see if anyone else has the same issue. Maybe it's the iOS version differences, but then the flashcard thingy would also not work.

Solarin88

秀才
Hey Mike, I'm loving the update! Would you care to answer a few questions? I can't figure it out myself...

1. How do you sync flashcards past the initial sync? They all synced nice and well over iCloud when it asked me if I wanted to, but how do you sync it again by command?

2. How do you determine which dictionary entry will show up in the flashcard test?

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
AdrianLondon - well they're two different versions of iCloud, but still very odd that it wouldn't work, yeah.

Solarin88 - 1) They'll actually sync automatically and transparently, that's what iCloud does - basically, iOS monitors the database file continuously tracking for changes, and then at an appropriate time (most often whenever you put Pleco into the background) it compares the latest version to the last version that it synchronized and transmits the changes to iCloud.

2) By default the + button will create a card from the first entry listed; if you want to pick a different one, either tap-hold on that dictionary's abbreviation icon and pick the option to create a flashcard in the menu that pops up, or go into Settings / Definition Screen and turn on the "+ button for each entry" option in which case you'll see a + button for every dictionary entry rather than just the first one.

psucom

举人
Dictionary search order set to "from first", but functionality in the reader seems to always favor current.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Turn off "sticky dict selection" in Settings / Popup Definition - that overrides the "from first" option.