3.0.0 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Suggestion for the SENTS section: sometimes when there are lots of example sentences I'd like to look for sentences with certain compounds. E.g., if we take for example the 服 character, there is an endless list of example sentences, yet may be interested in sentences with the 服了 construction (e.g. 真服了你了). In this case a Search bar on top of the example sentences section would really come in handy to look up "服了" and see all the sentences with this compound. Would it be a lot of hassle to add it?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not hard programming-wise, but it's a lot of extra UI clutter (or an off-by-default option, which we're only doing at this point in response to massive outpourings of user feedback) - might make sense to offer the option for a full-text search that was confined to sentences, though.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - looks like an encoding issue so we've passed it along to the people who make our PDF reader library.

Shun

状元
Possible oversight: In the File Manager, the invisible *.plecobookmark files don't get moved along with the files they refer to.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Have you configured Pleco to show invisible files? It doesn't move them then, since we assume that if you've enabled that option you'd like to move them manually, but it should move them correctly if they're hidden.

Shun

状元
Yes. I just know from Windows that a visible folder containing assets of a Firefox webpage is automatically moved together with the HTML file. Then I'll set Pleco back to hide hidden files per default.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's a bit different because the page is essentially unusable without the assets - it's entirely reasonable that somebody might want to move a Pleco document around without its bookmark file.

Shun

状元
I would prefer to explicitly delete the bookmarks file if I choose, but it isn't a big issue for me.

Perhaps already reported: When reading a UTF-8 text file (800 pages) in the Document Reader with pagination turned on, turning the iPhone sideways and back to portrait causes the reader to jump back by one page.

Hi Mike,

While taking a fill-in-the-blanks test (for pinyin), I´ve realized by chance that some wrong answers are marked as right answers. So far I've seen this happen only with characters whose pinyin ends in -ong. For example, if I enter zhon1 for the character 中, it is marked as correct and in green.
Please, have a look at the snapshots.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 2014-01-14 13.56.36.png
    2014-01-14 13.56.36.png
    121.8 KB · Views: 679
  • 2014-01-14 20.42.54.png
    2014-01-14 20.42.54.png
    132.9 KB · Views: 633
  • 2014-01-14 20.43.31.png
    2014-01-14 20.43.31.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 708
  • 2014-01-14 20.48.04.png
    2014-01-14 20.48.04.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 589

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's actually normal - goes with the nearest valid Pinyin match - though there's certainly a case to be made that it shouldn't.

Bendy-Ren

举人
Soon, mostly just finishing off our new right-side-of-the-screen quick command sidebar menu which we're hoping will let us address a lot of power user complaints about things being too hard to get to. (this is where we're sticking the traditional/simplified and night mode toggles, commands for jumping around to your favorite sections, quick links to make new custom cards / new dictionary entries, etc)

This sounds great—are you making font-switching available here too?
Things like 行书 are fun sometimes, but... not all the time. Haha.

Minor bug report: Text-selection cursor has stopped appearing in the search bar for me. It's there, but it's invisible. Started after I changed the menubar color.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes - font switching, simplified/traditional and night mode are the three we currently support there. (still a tiny bit more time to add others if we get any compelling suggestions, though we can easily add them in later updates too now that we've got the bar in place)

Text selection cursor thing is a known bug, already fixed for 3.0.1.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
BrianTung: the latest beta of our PDF decoder library now handles this file correctly, so assuming they finalize it before we submit 3.0.1 it should be covered in that. It actually uses a feature of the PDF spec that they'd never seen in use in a document before.

BrianTung

秀才
BrianTung: the latest beta of our PDF decoder library now handles this file correctly, so assuming they finalize it before we submit 3.0.1 it should be covered in that. It actually uses a feature of the PDF spec that they'd never seen in use in a document before.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. Any idea on when you'll submit 3.0.1?

Bendy-Ren

举人
Maybe changing the pronunciation system could go there? Pinyin / bopomofo / nothing, also switching to Cantonese perhaps; changing the audio voice might be handy for some people; is there a way to force an iCloud sync?

Another idea—searching example sentences seems like it could easily be a standalone left-menubar item. It's a cool feature that you might want to draw more attention to

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No way to programmatically force an iCloud sync, no. We already support displaying both Pinyin and BoPoMoFo simultaneously, and Cantonese can currently only be displayed simultaneously with those, so I'm not sure if a switch would make sense unless/until we add a Cantonese-only option. (but that's something we might consider once we feel more confident in our Cantonese support)

For example search, isn't the "SENTS" tab pretty prominent already?

Bendy-Ren

举人
For example search, isn't the "SENTS" tab pretty prominent already?
I guess it's discoverable, but still not very prominent, IMO. Maybe just me, but I never really noticed it until recently...

Also—Any chance of adding a highlight or underline tool to the PDF reader? When reading long documents, I find it easier to put the big picture together (especially in Chinese) if I can highlight important stuff. Pleco could be my one-stop PDF reader if this one function were added.