2.2.2 + 2.2.3 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Re: 2.2.2 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Sorry if this has already been reported. Every time I select the main word in an entry, and then click 'search', random characters get inserted in the middle. Eg, if I go to the entry for 你好, select it and hit search "你臾耀好" gets searched for. If I do the same for 国家, then 国(some unicode character)家 is searched for. Happens for all multi character words.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

character said:
I don't think it was a problem with the text, it was more of the MS Bob syndrome, where it took 13 clicks to format a floppy. If there was some way to create shortcuts to pages so that she could go from 'home screen' -> menu -> upload images, then menu -> process images, then menu -> download text files, she wouldn't have to go through all the intermediate screens. I realize you might have to load them behind the scenes to have everything in place, but that kind of quick navigation functionality could be useful for a lot of people. Being able to jump to a particular flashcard configuration screen or settings screen, for example, instead of navigating there each time.

That would probably be covered by the custom toolbar feature we're planning - should be possible to create a button for any arbitrary function, more or less.

character said:
Some sort of batch mode where a set of images could be designated to be OCR'd and text files created would meet her specific needs.

This one I"m not so sure about... OCR really isn't accurate enough to trust with an entire batch, you're still going to need to manually check / fix every document file and the time required for that dwarfs the time required to choose / open a file.

藏森林 said:
Sorry if this has already been reported. Every time I select the main word in an entry, and then click 'search', random characters get inserted in the middle. Eg, if I go to the entry for 你好, select it and hit search "你臾耀好" gets searched for. If I do the same for 国家, then 国(some unicode character)家 is searched for. Happens for all multi character words.

It's been reported by email but I'm not sure if it's been reported here yet... anyway, already fixed for the 2.2.4 update which should hopefully be submitted in another week or two (we really want to have an off-by-default experimental version of merged multi-dict search in it so we can start getting feedback on that).

character

状元

mikelove said:
That would probably be covered by the custom toolbar feature we're planning - should be possible to create a button for any arbitrary function, more or less.
Sounds good!

This one I"m not so sure about... OCR really isn't accurate enough to trust with an entire batch, you're still going to need to manually check / fix every document file and the time required for that dwarfs the time required to choose / open a file.
I think the idea would be to OCR in Pleco, then fix on a computer. I agree there could be problems, but it might not be too hard to support 'OCR every image in this folder and save documents as imagename.txt'. Perhaps users could set the scanning area on the first image.

I know it's not an expected use of OCR, but I can see it being handy for myself and others.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

I think the idea would be to OCR in Pleco, then fix on a computer. I agree there could be problems, but it might not be too hard to support 'OCR every image in this folder and save documents as imagename.txt'. Perhaps users could set the scanning area on the first image.

I know it's not an expected use of OCR, but I can see it being handy for myself and others.[/quote]

I suppose that's reasonable enough, though if you think of this as time (and not an insignificant amount of it to get a proper UI) that we could be putting towards a desktop Mac app, perhaps it's better if we hold off and do it in that :)

character

状元

mikelove said:
I suppose that's reasonable enough, though if you think of this as time (and not an insignificant amount of it to get a proper UI) that we could be putting towards a desktop Mac app, perhaps it's better if we hold off and do it in that :)
Much rather see a proper Mac app with OCR of images. Been using Wenlin 4 and there's a lot of room for improvement in the Mac Chinese space.

It's a shame WWDC didn't see more framework improvements brought Back to the Mac.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

character said:
It's a shame WWDC didn't see more framework improvements brought Back to the Mac.

There were quite a few, actually - some helpful UI improvements plus some non-UI-specific stuff that had no particular reason to be on one platform or another but happened to show up on iOS first because iOS has been updated more recently. I don't really see any major barriers to Pleco on Mac other than time if we should decide to develop a Mac app - iCloud and In-App Purchasing certainly make a powerful case for our doing so.

yoose

探花

Not sure if this has been posted already. When I am using the flashcards and the on screen writing, then edit the card info -> headword (both simplified and traditional) and save the card, the on screen writing no longer works. I need to exit my current session before I can get it to work again. I did some additional testing and its ok if I edit the pinyin and definition parts, it is just the headwords where the bug pops up. Also the problem does not come up until I activate the on screen handwriting. i.e. If I go in and edit a card without turning on the on screen writing then go back and turn it on it still works. After that if I edit another headword it will stop working again. The previous writing that was on there still appears and I can not erase it. Also the border appears such that I am in the writing mode, but it is just not responsive.

Hopefully this can be fixed in the next release. Let me know if you have any other questions or would like me to run some additional tests.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

yoose said:
Not sure if this has been posted already. When I am using the flashcards and the on screen writing, then edit the card info -> headword (both simplified and traditional) and save the card, the on screen writing no longer works. I need to exit my current session before I can get it to work again. I did some additional testing and its ok if I edit the pinyin and definition parts, it is just the headwords where the bug pops up. Also the problem does not come up until I activate the on screen handwriting. i.e. If I go in and edit a card without turning on the on screen writing then go back and turn it on it still works. After that if I edit another headword it will stop working again. The previous writing that was on there still appears and I can not erase it. Also the border appears such that I am in the writing mode, but it is just not responsive.

Thanks for the bug report.

How are you managing to get into the Card Info screen with the test handwriting input box visible / active? Are you on an iPad? This is actually a rather tricky problem to fix, but we thought we'd designed the system in such a way as to prevent people from ever encountering it.

yoose

探花

mikelove said:
yoose said:

Thanks for the bug report.

How are you managing to get into the Card Info screen with the test handwriting input box visible / active? Are you on an iPad? This is actually a rather tricky problem to fix, but we thought we'd designed the system in such a way as to prevent people from ever encountering it.

Hi Mike,

I am using it both on an iPhone and an iPad and the same issue occurs. The edit card info in inaccesible until I press the reveal entire card button at which point the edit card info becomes active regardless of the state of the test handwriting input box.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
yoose said:
I am using it both on an iPhone and an iPad and the same issue occurs. The edit card info in inaccesible until I press the reveal entire card button at which point the edit card info becomes active regardless of the state of the test handwriting input box.

Ah, sorry, I assumed you were using a fill-in-the-blanks test rather than just using the drawing box to sketch characters during some other type of test. Anyway we'll see about doing something for this in the next update (probably just automatically closing the drawing box when you go into Card Info). Thanks!