2.2.2 + 2.2.3 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Feilian

秀才
Re: 2.2.2 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Hello !

There is a recognizer library mode with better support for punctuation + alphabet characters but we haven't made enabling it a user-accessible option yet - might happen in 2.2.3, though.[/quote]

Has the library been enabled in 2.2.3 :eek: ?

Thanks for all,

Christian

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Feilian said:
Has the library been enabled in 2.2.3 ?

No, we tested it and unfortunately it didn't seem to help much - only way to get it working at all reliably is to disable Chinese character input, which kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing :)

I have a quick question: how can I make pinyin appear in the same line as the Chinese word in the dictionary definition? The same way I've set it to appear in search results... as in 你好 nihao all in the same line instead of characters first and pinyin under the characters...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

goldyn chyld said:
I have a quick question: how can I make pinyin appear in the same line as the Chinese word in the dictionary definition? The same way I've set it to appear in search results... as in 你好 nihao all in the same line instead of characters first and pinyin under the characters...

If you turn off the "Separate parts" option under Settings / Dictionary / Entry Display, that will put all three parts on a single line, but there's no way to have headword + Pinyin on one and the definition on a separate one. (one of those parts of Pleco that's been rattling around since 2005 or so and is long overdue for an upgrade if we ever find the time)

character

状元

This may be expected behavior, but:

Search for guan4 (vessel; container) in ABC
Go to the entry
Tap ABC, which takes you to guan4r (jar)

Tapping ABC again doesn't take you back to the first definition.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

character said:
This may be expected behavior, but:

Search for guan4 (vessel; container) in ABC
Go to the entry
Tap ABC, which takes you to guan4r (jar)

Tapping ABC again doesn't take you back to the first definition.

That might be a bug, actually - it should probably be dropping the r when it searches other dictionaries. Thanks.

character

状元

I seem to have lost the ability to play audio when looking at a flashcard before revealing the answer.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

character said:
I seem to have lost the ability to play audio when looking at a flashcard before revealing the answer.

Is your test set to "show" audio? (+ whatever else you want?) Any information to be seen before reveal has to be specified in "show" - it's our way of avoiding accidental reveals / give-aways / cheating.

character

状元

mikelove said:
Is your test set to "show" audio? (+ whatever else you want?) Any information to be seen before reveal has to be specified in "show" - it's our way of avoiding accidental reveals / give-aways / cheating.
Thanks; I'll check. Problem was probably just a loose nut behind the touchscreen. :D

character

状元

Setting Configure score subjects > Show to Chars + Audio worked.

There does seem to be a problem, as before the audio "button" was shown but tapping on it produced no audio. I think the button should be hidden if one can't play audio.

Thanks again for a great product; it's my intention to use Pleco heavily while Chinese class is out for the summer.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

character said:
There does seem to be a problem, as before the audio "button" was shown but tapping on it produced no audio. I think the button should be hidden if one can't play audio.

Maybe an alert would be better, actually - if the button simply disappears then people won't know why, if there's an alert then the first time they tap on it they find out why they can't play audio.

anchan42

探花

The bottons on headphone does not seem to change play/pause icon in lyric reader. You can puase the lesson using the headphone's button but the icon still showing as play.

character

状元

mikelove said:
Maybe an alert would be better, actually - if the button simply disappears then people won't know why, if there's an alert then the first time they tap on it they find out why they can't play audio.
That would help. It might be clearer if you're going to show a speaker icon when the audio is not going to play, you could change it so that no sound waves are coming from the speaker.

Perhaps the design firm you're working with can help with new icon(s). I at least associate the speaker symbol with volume control, not audio playback as such. Perhaps a play triangle for playback and a play triangle in a no circle when playback is disabled?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

anchan42 said:
The bottons on headphone does not seem to change play/pause icon in lyric reader. You can puase the lesson using the headphone's button but the icon still showing as play.

Good point, have to dig around the API reference and figure out how to get the OS to notify us on those changes.

character said:
That would help. It might be clearer if you're going to show a speaker icon when the audio is not going to play, you could change it so that no sound waves are coming from the speaker.

That I'm not wild about since it's kind of a universal symbol for "low volume" or "mute" (sometimes the "mute" version has an X next to the speaker, but not always) - suggests that the audio has been deactivated system-wide rather than that it's not available for this specific item. I'd almost prefer a more prominent X overlaying the whole thing, or a circle with a line through it, or something along those lines, though I still think the alert is probably a better bet - many people won't understand why the audio is disabled unless we actually tell them.

character said:
Perhaps the design firm you're working with can help with new icon(s). I at least associate the speaker symbol with volume control, not audio playback as such. Perhaps a play triangle for playback and a play triangle in a no circle when playback is disabled?

We had to fire them, unfortunately - they weren't willing to take the time to actually understand the product and our customers well enough to come up with a design that would work, after lots of waiting and quite a bit of money they didn't really give us anything we could use. But we're pretty happy with what we've been able to work out on our own - may not be quite as gorgeous as it would have been with professional designers but it should be an enormous upgrade in terms of usability at least.

character

状元

mikelove said:
We had to fire them, unfortunately - they weren't willing to take the time to actually understand the product and our customers well enough to come up with a design that would work, after lots of waiting and quite a bit of money they didn't really give us anything we could use. But we're pretty happy with what we've been able to work out on our own - may not be quite as gorgeous as it would have been with professional designers but it should be an enormous upgrade in terms of usability at least.
Sorry to hear that the design firm didn't work out. Should be much easier to find another set of designers to pretty up the new design you have come up with, if you choose to do that.

Vzzzbx

进士

This is the silliest bug ever but you guys probably want to know about these things. I looked through this thread and couldn't find a previous post addressing it.

When I'm viewing the 'root' flashcard directory and delete all categories, the ipad app (and, I presume, the iphone app) deletes them correctly, moves all the flashcards to the 'Uncategorised' category and promptly crashes. The workaround is to, um, reopen Pleco.

Don't work yourselves into a lather over this. If you want more precise details (e.g. reproducible steps), let me know.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

character said:
Sorry to hear that the design firm didn't work out. Should be much easier to find another set of designers to pretty up the new design you have come up with, if you choose to do that.

Possibly, but I think we'd coordinate that with the Android version - on that it's even more important to have a professionally-designed UI since apps don't really have much of a theme otherwise.

Vzzzbx said:
When I'm viewing the 'root' flashcard directory and delete all categories, the ipad app (and, I presume, the iphone app) deletes them correctly, moves all the flashcards to the 'Uncategorised' category and promptly crashes. The workaround is to, um, reopen Pleco.

Don't work yourselves into a lather over this. If you want more precise details (e.g. reproducible steps), let me know.

Still something we ought to fix - thanks!

character

状元

Just some feedback. I helped a non-computer expert K-12 teacher get started with Pleco. The major thing she wanted it for is the OCR. The still image processing seemed to give her acceptable quality, something the other products she tried did not. It would be nice to have a clearer description in the app/on the website of which addons provided what functionality; I struggled to help her find that information (specifically, what did document reader provide) and ended up guessing.

She struggled with the number of screens and steps one had to go through to upload images/process them/view them in the reader. I don't know if you could add a way for users to set shortcuts for various screens so they could jump to just the screens they needed instead of drilling down/up/around to get to them.

In the end she was talking about encouraging her students to get it, or perhaps getting it on some of the iPads her school will soon be providing to students.

She also wanted the OCR/document reader functionality in a desktop (OS X) app.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

character said:
Just some feedback. I helped a non-computer expert K-12 teacher get started with Pleco. The major thing she wanted it for is the OCR. The still image processing seemed to give her acceptable quality, something the other products she tried did not. It would be nice to have a clearer description in the app/on the website of which addons provided what functionality; I struggled to help her find that information (specifically, what did document reader provide) and ended up guessing.

Yeah, we really need to rename the document reader, or perhaps merge it with OCR and raise the price (now that OCR is usable on most of the devices that Pleco runs on). (don't worry, people who bought one but not the other would still get to keep using that one)

character said:
She struggled with the number of screens and steps one had to go through to upload images/process them/view them in the reader. I don't know if you could add a way for users to set shortcuts for various screens so they could jump to just the screens they needed instead of drilling down/up/around to get to them.

There's a lot of text there... we should probably find a way to delay the decision-making about what people want to do with a particular item and just let them choose between live and still images; there's no reason we can't allow for dynamic switching between flash / capture / lookup modes.

character said:
She also wanted the OCR/document reader functionality in a desktop (OS X) app.

As do we, but first the Android version / iOS redesign / new dictionaries / etc.

character

状元

mikelove said:
character said:

There's a lot of text there... we should probably find a way to delay the decision-making about what people want to do with a particular item and just let them choose between live and still images; there's no reason we can't allow for dynamic switching between flash / capture / lookup modes.
I don't think it was a problem with the text, it was more of the MS Bob syndrome, where it took 13 clicks to format a floppy. If there was some way to create shortcuts to pages so that she could go from 'home screen' -> menu -> upload images, then menu -> process images, then menu -> download text files, she wouldn't have to go through all the intermediate screens. I realize you might have to load them behind the scenes to have everything in place, but that kind of quick navigation functionality could be useful for a lot of people. Being able to jump to a particular flashcard configuration screen or settings screen, for example, instead of navigating there each time.

I'm sure it would be a pain to implement, but figured it was worth mentioning. Some sort of batch mode where a set of images could be designated to be OCR'd and text files created would meet her specific needs.