2.0.3 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: 2.0.3 (final) Bug Report Thread

daniel123 - yes, if you send those along we can try it out here.

thph2006 - that's odd... my first impression would be that your handheld's acting up because you've got too many files open at once; we've seen this happen in a few other cases too, but we can't do much about it in a minor bug-fix release (only in a more major update that makes significant under-the-hood changes to our file access system to reduce the number of files that are continuously open). But that wouldn't necessarily affect as specific an area as multiple-choice tests... so I'm not sure, this isn't something we can easily reproduce so about all we can do is keep an eye out for any bugs that might relate to it and hopefully nail it in a future update.

sinoreen

举人

when I look for the pinyin kua without any number indicating the tone, then ABC, ACE, and CC dictionaries show the entry kuai4. OX, TL, GF, ADS and HDD do not, however. I'm not sure whether a similar pattern exists with other pinyin words too.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Hmm... seems to work OK here. Have you changed any of the search-related preferences from their default settings?

TomB

In the ABC entry for yu3qi2 the grammar example shows two verbs, V1 and V2. Those got converted into umlaut-U with tone markers when they should remain as "V1" and "V2". I haven't looked extensively, but I guess there may be other entries with grammatical examples including multiple verbs that could have also been improperly converted.

sinoreen

举人

mikelove said:
Hmm... seems to work OK here. Have you changed any of the search-related preferences from their default settings?

i had "match pinyin syllables exactly" disabled. i enabled it now and now it works fine. i still don't get why abc and some other dicts would show me kuai4 as their first result when "match pinyin syllables exactly" is disabled. i understand the example with zhonggu und zhongguo that you mention in the user manual, but in the "kua"-case it doesn't make sense to me. i tried other pinyin too, such as "di" or "ta", and some dicts show similar weird behaviour, as for example jumping directly to ta4, even though ta1 characters exist, or showing tai2.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

TomB - yeah, that's not good - thanks, should be easy to fix in a later bug-fix update.

sinoreen - actually we were testing it with match exactly disabled (that's the default), so I'm not sure what's going on here... are you sure that kuai is showing up as the first item on the list, that it's not just the highlight jumping down to "kuai" with the "kua"s still at the top of the result list if you scroll up?

sinoreen

举人

you're right, it's just the highlight jumping to kuai4. still, I don't see the sense in this. Is it supposed to be that way?

ldolse

状元

Here's the bugs I came across during the class I took the past couple weeks:

• Searching with the search term 'bangong室' does not return the expected result of 办公室. Instead you get things with the pinyin bangong.
  • Enabling 'Language Auto Detect Enabled' (query panel) and 'Search Dictionaries Current Only' (results panel) causes the 'current only' option to override language auto-detect (effectively disabling it). I think Auto-detect language should take precedence. Without language autodetection the 'current only' option just isn't useful, but that would be the best choice for the way I like to use Pleco. The reason I dislike the other search modes is that 'from first' and 'from current' don't let you search the other dictionaries for close matches. In an ideal world I'd like the automatic best match first option that those dictionaries give you, but then be able to freely look at close matches in the other dictionaries.
  • Full screen handwriting doesn't work on any recent Touchflo phones if there is a scroll bar in the definition field. The 'attempt to disable touchflo' preference doesn't fix it either. See this thread for some info on a more effective way of disabling Touchflo.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

sinoreen - it's not supposed to be that way, but that sheds some light on where the problem might be coming from at least. (code which is actually only supposed to be active if "match exactly" is enabled)

ldolse - that bangong室 issue is normal, actually; those mixed pinyin/character indexes take up a lot of space, so we only support mixing in the first two syllables of a search term. (extending it to a third would literally add about 2 MB to the size of the ABC database)

Good point about auto-detect versus current dictionary, though I'd also like to do something to make it easier to search for partial matches - that dictionary-switching system is kind of a mass of spaghetti code at this point, so it needs to be retooled anyway.

jiacheng

榜眼

I'm encountering slowness when starting a flashcard session. On my Dell Axim x51v, it takes about 25 seconds to start a new session. I have a total flashcard database of around 15000 cards with 12 scorefiles. When starting a session, there are typically ~300 categories included, containing 5000+ cards. I tried compacting flash / user databases, but this didn't get me any noticeable improvement.

I suppose that 25 seconds could normal given these numbers, but it is still kind of a hassle to have to wait so long to start a session. I am wondering if a background query could be done before the start of the session so that by the time I start the session, it has a card to give me right away. Or perhaps when starting the session, maybe go ahead and display the first cards in the list while the rest are being determined.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

The number of categories is the big problem there, I think, rather than the number of cards... do many / most of those categories tend to stay enabled in pretty much every session you do, or at least to always be enabled / disabled at the same time? If so, you could try creating a brand new separate category and assigning all of the cards in that big pile of other categories to that - limiting each session to a dozen categories or so would let things start up a lot faster.

Sarevok

进士

The entry 哄 in ABC dictionary seems to be buggy. In total, there are three separate entries with this character as a headword, each with different reading. There is a problem with the middle one - hǒng

Yesterday I wasplaying with a list of flashcards (unreviewed for quite a long time) in Manage Flashcards section. When I encountered the above mentioned "哄 hǒng" one and tried to view its Card Info (to switch some categories from there), Pleco suddenly crashed (only the application itself, not the whole system). After restarting it, I repeated the exact same set of steps, which led to the exact same crash. I then decided to ignore that particular card and continued fiddling with the rest... Today it came up during my flashcard session, which led to an immediate freeze of the whole system (soft reset was needed) as soon as that card appeared (or was supposed to appear, to be more precise, since it didn't appear in its entirety). I then decided to remove the card, which was perfectly possible from the Manage Flashcards screen (no crash happened as long as I didn't try to view the details). When trying to re-add the card, I experienced another freeze immediately looking it up in ABC dictionary. The problem seems to be caused by that particular entry itself, not by flashcards file corruption or something like that. It is perfectly searchable and viewable in other dictionaries (namely ADSO and CEDICT). Might be tied with the recent update of the ABC dictionary - it must have been okay before, how else was I supposed to add that entry to my flashcards pile in the first place?

ipsi

状元

I think it sounds like you've actually got a problem with a corrupted dictionary file, as the entry displays fine on my Treo Pro. Maybe you could try deleting it and then copying it back onto the card from your PC? Just a thought.

Sarevok

进士

I tried deleting it and downloading it again and the problem still persists... I keep all my dictionary data on the storage card, I tried deleting the ABC dictionary from there and copying it to the internal memory, but to no avail...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

This does sound a lot like a corrupted database issue - are you sure there isn't another copy of the ABC dictionary lurking around your handheld somewhere? Try this: delete all copies of the ABC database from your handheld (making sure Pleco isn't running in the background when you do - choose "Quit" from the "Dict" menu in Pleco to exit it completely), run the installer again to reinstall only the ABC dictionary, and then run Pleco and see if the problems continue. If they do, exit Pleco again, *rename* the ABC file to something else (say "badabc"), reinstall the ABC dictionary again, then delete the "badabc" file - that will ensure that the new copy of the ABC database lands in a different address location in your handheld's memory than the old one did.

sinoreen

举人

the Card Info Screen does not show categories whose name is written in chinese characters

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Yeah, unfortunately on Palm we haven't been able to add full Unicode support for flashcard category name strings yet - best bet for now is probably to just keep category names in English or Pinyin.

okediji

I just installed the 2.03 update on my Palm T|X and now the ABC C-E dictionary is gone.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

The 2.0.3 update includes an updated version of the ABC dictionary, so the most likely problem there is that it attempted to install that updated version, got to the point of deleting the old version but then failed to actually write the new one. Perhaps because your TX is running low on storage memory - how big is your SD card? How much free internal memory does your TX have? (you can check that by going to the program launcher screen, tapping on the clock at the top of the screen and choosing Info from the App menu) How much free memory is there on your SD card? (you can get this by launching the "Card Info" application on your Palm)

Anyway, probably the best fix for this is to delete everything and start anew with the full 2.0.3 installer - see http://www.pleco.com/manual/palminst.html#failedinstall for instructions.

goulniky

榜眼

I came across a small glitch with the document reader - it seems that tab are ignored instead of being replaced by a space, which turns a sentence like hanzitabpinyintabdefinition into hanzipinyindefinition. I think all non printable characters, tabs or otherwise should be rendered as space