2.0.3 Bug Report Thread

johnh113

榜眼
Re: 2.0.3 (final) Bug Report Thread

Dear Mike,

I've loaded all the updates except the one before final because you said that one only affected WM.

I've installed 2.0.3. The first time I ran it, it found no flashcards. It suggested I go to "manage" and reset to default. This has never happened before. Now it found my flashcards. I reset all my settings to my normal settings and started reviewing flashcards. I had about 200. Of the 200, two were bad. That is, when the new flashcard was supposed to come up, the old hanzi stayed there. I pressed info and it had all the info, except the hanzi. When I tried to edit, it said "This entry appears to have been deleted from the dictionary" and was displaying the CC symbol. I could advance past the card, return to the card (with the incorrect hanzi showing, set the score to 50, listen to the audio - yes, both cards had audio. When I finished the review, I then reviewed the missed cards. Same behavior. When I viewed information, the score had been updated to 50, all the other information remained the same. That is, there was no update to the review date, the last 10 or the record categories.

I did not update any existing dictionaries, as I always update those when available. I did install the new ABCEC.

John

johnh113

榜眼

Dear Mike,

Slight correction: the review time, record and last 10 did update on the info screen.

John

Alexis

状元

I've also had a few cards go bad over the last few 2.0.x releases. I assume it is due to the dictionary upgrades (in my case only the headword remained, but the definition dissapeared). I assumed this was due to the dictionary updates/corrections. My workaround is to delete the bad card and re-add it to the deck.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

johnh113 - CC-CEDICT actually has had some entries deleted from it (we don't preserve them when they disappear from the CC-CEDICT database, since we assume that they went away for a reason), but I'm not sure why they'd vanish with the 2.0.3 update - so there's no chance you might have, say, queued up the CC-CEDICT update before but only had it successfully install when you updated to 2.0.3?

Alexis - yes, the dictionary updates would do it - I think that a few may have gone missing with the new ABC too, but again, if they delete them from the dictionary we assume there's a reason for it.

ssaito

探花

I think I found a small bug. I set up Pleco to pop up a dictionary definition when I double-tap a highlighted word. However, when the highlighted word isn't in the dictionary, the pop-up definition just shows whatever the last pop-up definition was shown. It should show an error like "not in dictionary" or something like that.

I'm using pleco on a palm zire 71.

Thanks
Steve

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Yep, that's been around since 2.0.0 actually - for some reason we keep forgetting to fix it. I'll put it back on the queue and hopefully it'll be fixed in 2.0.4.

stoney

举人

I installed the latest pleco 203 final a few days ago and was using 202 final before that without any problems.
Now I have a problem;

-I'm reviewing 5 subcategories (about 200 cards) from one main category.
- self scored testing headword
- score filter 0-201

- test starts showing 38 cards to test, I get through about 19 and my session ends.
- I start my session again, it shows about 20 cards, I do 5 cards and the session ends.
- finally i start another session and it says I have no more cards to test, but when I check statistics there still are a number if cards in those categories between 0 and 201.

This has happened a few times
I'm using Palm TX, frequency adjust card selection, manual scoring...

Am I doing something wrong? If there is no easy way to fix this, what's the easiest way to go back to 202? Can I still download 202?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

This doesn't sound like something 2.0.3-specific, actually - it sounds like you've got some invalid cards (cards with missing / deleted dictionary entries). To start sessions faster Pleco doesn't go through and check that every card is valid before it starts the session, so that's why you sometimes see it skip over cards / end before a session is finished.

If you're doing a self-scored test, though, you can optionally get it to display those invalid cards by enabling the "allow missing sections" option in the Tests panel of Advanced Settings. Or to find / fix / delete those cards, go into Manage Cards and do an "Advanced" search for incomplete cards (second to last item in the list of things to search for).

stisev

进士

Hi mike,
2.0.3 - definite bugs.

Pleco crashes on WM6.1 Xperia X1 when assigning pleco's functions to buttons on the experia. I know 100% for sure this crashes pleco on my xperia x1 when using "soft button" keys. This one is really annoying :(

Also, when I opened my Xperia (to make it go into landscape mode) while in flash cards, Pleco did not display the bottom buttons (like sound, next, previous, etc buttons). I had to restart pleco and have not seen that behavior since.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Are you sure these didn't also exist in 2.0.2? We really didn't change any code related to button input translation or screen resizing in 2.0.3 - it was a very minor update.

stoney

举人

mikelove said:
This doesn't sound like something 2.0.3-specific, actually - it sounds like you've got some invalid cards (cards with missing / deleted dictionary entries)..

Yes, that's what it is. It looks like these were cards that I had made custom entries for. It seems they were not transferred over from my 2.0.2 flashcard backup file. In 2.0.3 the definitions were indeed missing, and when I went to edit them ( via manage flashcards ) the headwords all changed to " A-版 ". That was kind of strange??

I might as well ask this here; are custom flashcard entries backed up with flashcard backup? (I don't have a user dictionary created in my 2.0.3 install and I never backed up one from 2.0.3. -- could this be why flashcard back up did not restore my custom flashcard definitions?) But I assumed flashcard backup would contain the custom entries I made when creating the flashcard.

OK now I realize I also did not reinstall my cedict and adsotrans dictionaries, so I guess the missing definitions could be from those. :oops:

ldolse

状元

Those button related bugs have existed for a while, definitely were in 2.0.2. I hadn't really investigated them enough to make a good bug report. Last time I tried to set any of them it messed things up so badly I was forced to clear the registry. Not sure if it's xperia specific or just related to the button mapping code.

If I recall correctly I tried to assign some functions to buttons on the hardware keyboard.

stisev

进士

Are you sure these didn't also exist in 2.0.2? We really didn't change any code related to button input translation or screen resizing in 2.0.3 - it was a very minor update.

Hi Mike,
I have no idea if they're in 2.0.2, but based on your info (and other member who posted here), it probably is. I don't think it's 2.0.3 specific. I will test it out and see, but it is definitely 100% reproducible

daniel123

榜眼

I found a problem with Repetition-spaced and the configuration "Flashcards Advanced Settings -> Cards -> Day type". For I did not use Repetition-spaced for maybe one or two months I do not know for sure when this worked the last time. Maybe the problem already exists in 2.0.2 but I am quite sure it worked at least in 2.0.1.

I configured "Day type" to "Calendar" and "Start: 07:00:00". I suggest the following:
a) Maybe I repeat cards in the evening and I want to be able to make the next repetition already in the morning and not exactly 24 hours later.
b) I use "Only change score once per day" option and I also want the same for score changings: the "Only change score once per day" should change the score on my next day beginning at 7:00 and not just 24 hours later.

Normally after 7 o'clock I can see all cards for the whole day. But now I see some cards in the morning and also new cards some time later in the day.
And even the next day some minutes before 7:00 I saw again one single card before the new cards became visable after 7:00. The last thing is not a problem but indicates that there is some kind of confusing problem with the relating calculation.

At the moment I cannot exactly see the difference between these cards to understand the reason why they will be shown on dfferent time. But today in the morning after 7 o'clock I did not see the wrong words from yesterday. I just saw other with score higher than 100. Maybe the problem just affect cards with score 100, maybe there is any bigger problem. I do not know at the moment. I will continue looking at it.

Hope you have any idea.

Daniel

Update: It really seems that mistaken cards from yesterday (score 100) wait 24 hours before they will be shown in flashcard session for repetation. So I hope the only problem is that those cards ignore the configured calendar and time configuration for "day type".

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

daniel123 - yeah, it seems like it's using an hours-based date calculation even though you've set it to "Calendar" - very odd. There isn't any chance you might have accidentally changed the setting back, is there? Or that the software might have changed it due to a bug - if you go into Advanced Settings now is "Calendar" still selected as the day type?

Also, are you using the "limit unlearned" option by any chance? That could explain the new cards appearing later in the day, if your studying earlier in the day had caused some old cards to become "learned" and thus some new cards to be added the pool of cards to study.

daniel123

榜眼

mikelove said:
daniel123 - yeah, it seems like it's using an hours-based date calculation even though you've set it to "Calendar" - very odd. There isn't any chance you might have accidentally changed the setting back, is there? Or that the software might have changed it due to a bug - if you go into Advanced Settings now is "Calendar" still selected as the day type?

Yes, it is still selected Calendar now. I saw this behaviour over a few days and I did not change the Calendar setting between two or three months.

I do not use "limit unlearned" option.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

Hmm, well that's puzzling then... we really haven't made many card-selection algorithm changes since 2.0.1, so I'm not quite sure how this could have creeped in there. Let me know if you notice any more weird behavior in rep-spaced card selection.

daniel123

榜眼

mikelove said:
Hmm, well that's puzzling then... we really haven't made many card-selection algorithm changes since 2.0.1, so I'm not quite sure how this could have creeped in there. Let me know if you notice any more weird behavior in rep-spaced card selection.

Would it help you anything if I send you my database files? I am sure you could easily reproduce it.

thph2006

进士
Multiple-choice test display hosed after update

Hi,

This is my first post after buying pleco so if I did something dumb to cause this please excuse my ignorance. I'm learning both my new Samsung Mondi and Pleco at the same time so there could be lots of reasons things got screwed up. Anyway, here's the issue:

I imported a bunch of categories into Pleco and started running flashcard sessions. All seemed fine until I decided to install the supported extended audio add-on. After installing the audio, I tried it with a few dictionary entries and it worked great. I then went back to the flashcards and initiated a new session using the multiple choice test which I was using without a problem before installing the audio. When the test started nothing was visible except the bottom half of the headword in the upper left corner and what appeared to be 100 in the upper right corner (but it was also clipped so only the lower part of it was visible). There was also a scroll bar extending from top to bottom on the right side. The rest of the screen was blank and there were no buttons of any kind visible. If I tapped around the top right corner in enough places I could get what appeared to be a horizontal green line extending across the top just at the bottom of where the characters were being cut off. Further tapping would sometimes cause it to display the "next" arrow-shaped button at the bottom right of the screen. Clicking that button appeared to advance to the next card but the new card displayed in the same way as the first one, i.e. no buttons, mostly blank screen, etc.

I tried quite a few things to remedy the problem, changing display parameters, number of buttons to display, changing text size, turning audio off... Nothing caused any change whatsoever in the multiple-choice test display. I tried several other types of tests and they all seemed to work just fine. I also tried several dictionary screens and everything appeared to be working normally except for the multiple-choice flashcard screen. I also quit and restarted the program several times, shut down the device and restarted it, pulled the battery for a few minutes and restarted it all to no avail.

I finally went to the dictionary-preferences-misc panel and selected reset all prefs to defaults. When I went back to the flashcard multiple choice test it was displaying properly again. The crazy thing is I never changed any preferences in the time between my last successful test before using the installer to update the audio and when I started the test unsuccessfully shortly after the install.

Hopefully if the issue wasn't caused by me this description will be enough to help you look in the right place for any possible bug.

-tom