2.0.2 Beta 4 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Post any bug reports / feedback on the newest beta here. Also, particularly in this release we're really interested in getting people's overall impressions of stability / performance (and how those compare to 2.0.1) - hoping not to have to make too many more changes before we release this officially.

twobrie

I can't get the handwriting recognizer to recognize the character 恁 [nèn] , as in the (Taiwanese) phrase "恁爸係台灣人"

This isn't necessarily a problem specific to Beta 4, but I ran into it the other day when using Beta 2 and it's still present in Beta 4.

Perhaps it's an issue with Hanwang?

The character is in the ABC, CC, and GF dictionaries and I can find it via radical/stroke lookup.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ipsi

状元
I've got no problems getting it to recognise that character. Are you sure you're writing the strokes in the correct order? Check just in case. Note that direction can matter - I have occasionally had trouble getting it to recognise the 氵 radical if I don't do the last stroke bottom-to-top (as opposed to the direction of the other two strokes, which is top-to-bottom), for example.

twobrie

IPSI, thanks for the reply. Turns out it is my mistake: I hadn't checked the "rare" box. 不好意思!

I should have known better: the Hanwang recognizer does an excellent job of finding the character no matter how sloppily or incorrectly I write it.

對不起!

Alexis

状元
I can't seem to get the "Limit # of unlearned cards to" flashcard option to work. I'm trying it out with a value of 5.

I created a new flashcard set of 38 E-C cards (all should be un-learned as they all have scores of 100 and I purposefully keep answering them wrong). I tried "Repetition-Spaced", "Frequency-Adjust" and "Random" modes. In each mode it does not limit the number of cards to 5.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The limit-unlearned feature only affects cards that have never been reviewed; basically the software counts the number of unlearned cards that have already been reviewed, adds all of them to the session, and then if that number is less than the limit it draws in some new ones from the pool of never-reviewed cards. It works that way because we don't want cards people have already been studying to suddenly disappear - you might lose any progress you've made with them by not seeing them for a few weeks / months.

So if you want to test this feature with those 38 cards, you'd need to bring them up in Manage Flashcards and use the batch "Reset all stats" command - that'll clear their review histories too.

Perhaps it should say "Limit # of never reviewed cards to". "Unlearned" does not mean never looked at.

Or "Limit # of never looked at cards to"

daniel123

榜眼
The problem "#2" I send you in the Feedback Thread for Beta 3 still exists in Beta 4.

Yesterday I tried to remember the sequence what happened:

I was studying inside a flashcards session. There I opened an IA popup. Afterwards I decided to look more in the dictionarys and I saved the session. When returning to main window (normal dictionary mode) the last IA popup will be pasted automatically (because I guess it was automatically copied to clipboard). I deleted the characters and type in new one.

The same behaviour. Nothing helps. No reaction, no switching in respect to my input. Again just exiting helps.

Although it was not reproducible I think most of those problems result from similar to this. I think it also sometimes happen when I cut&paste something from another application and open Pleco (to paste it) that was already running in background.

Hope it helps you a little.

Daniel

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
So if you want to test this feature with those 38 cards, you'd need to bring them up in Manage Flashcards and use the batch "Reset all stats" command - that'll clear their review histories too.

Thanks Mike. That did the trick. Isn't is safe to assume, though, that if the user has never gotten a card right that they be counted as unstudied for the purposes of this option?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges - well no, because those cards have been looked at; their presence blocks other cards that have never been reviewed from being reviewed for the first time, but the actual numerical limit doesn't apply to un-reviewed cards but rather to un-learned ones.

daniel123 - hmm... no luck reproducing this here even by pounding away on the clipboard function. You're not using any third-party hack / add-on that does something to the clipboard, are you? And are you using CE-Star? This might not involve the clipboard itself but rather the window-switching from another app into Pleco or from IA to flashcards back to the main dictionary - did you open up that IA popup using a tap / tap-hold / etc menu command, or did you use your Instant Access launch button / PlecoLaunch?

Alexis - even if it's never been answered correctly, though, they've spent some time on it, and it had to have been in the "pool" at some point for it to be answered incorrectly. We designed the limit-unlearned feature more to help people just starting to a review a large new batch of cards than we did to help trim down the number of cards in people's existing "pools" - the latter sort of trimming is what rep-spaced / frequency-adjusted study are for (and what the new priority list feature we're considering for 2.1 would also be for).

And if you're using it in that intended way, e.g., I've just added HSK Level 3 to my vocabulary list and I don't want to suddenly be dealing with 3000 new cards, then including cards that you've only ever answered incorrectly is the correct approach. Say you do that, with limit-unlearned set to 50: Pleco randomly pulls out 50 cards from that stack of 3000 and starts testing you on them. If you get one of those cards incorrect on the first test, you don't want it to be dropped from that set of 50 and another card randomly brought in to replace it; you want to keep seeing it until you get it right. Otherwise, you'll just keep being tested on a whole lot of cards you don't know.

radioman

状元
Just feedback so far, I like the idea about the pinyin search defaulting to the asterisk-marked definition. I am also wondering if there is anyway in the list of words that comes up, that the ones with the asterisk is highlighted somehow? I do not think I see that right now, and think it might be useful even without an exact pinyin search.

daniel123

榜眼
mikelove said:
daniel123You're not using any third-party hack / add-on that does something to the clipboard, are you? And are you using CE-Star? This might not involve the clipboard itself but rather the window-switching from another app into Pleco or from IA to flashcards back to the main dictionary - did you open up that IA popup using a tap / tap-hold / etc menu command, or did you use your Instant Access launch button / PlecoLaunch?

I neither use CE-Star nor any third-party clipboard hack. I use IA via PlecoLaunch (via a start menu entry).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman - might be doable, but I'm not quite sure what the right indicator would be - wouldn't want to highlight them with a different background / foreground color since that would be confusingly similar to the regular selected-item highlight. And indenting or adding an extra symbol means less space for the actual headword, which would be a big problem for a lot of people.

daniel123 - OK, we'll keep trying at least, though since we haven't had any luck reproducing it so far I'm afraid it may not be fixable until after 2.0.2.

Alexis

状元
For repitition-spaced flashcard tests, the x/y progress indicator (where x is the current card and y is the total cards) at the top left seems to be displaying x/y+1 (ie. the total is off by 1).

radioman

状元
A few ideas born out of a recent flashcard session.

1) For the hardware buttons on my T5, if they are set for portrait operation, it would be useful to have those same buttons (including the center rocker switch button assignments) to remain intact. Maybe even rotate 90 degrees the assignment of the individual rocker sides. I believe currently, if I put a flash card session into landscape, the rocker hardware (and other HW switches?) are disabled. At a minimum, just to leave the HW buttons enabled in the exact same configuration would be preferable to me than to disable them.

2) During the display of definitions in flashcards, etc., there is an option to display which dictionary is being utilized in the definition. I am interested in an option that also allows me to see what categories are utilized by the card, without having to go to the info or category button. This would be basically an effort to simplify housekeeping during a session. Specifically, with a large number of cards, I find many can be miscategorized (typically with too many labels for a particular character), or for which I am unclear if a particular special category is assigned (e.g., "review this with teacher A"). Perhaps an x could also be added next to each category to allow the elimination of the category from a given card, similar to scheme for the elimination of labels in Gmail. I would also envision a prompt that says "are you sure you want to eliminate the category" before allowing the deletion.

EDIT - I now see some of the hardware buttons are functional in landscape mode, but the rocker functionality is only partially there.

ipsi

状元
Two bugs: When you finish a stroke-order test, reveal the answer, exit and save a session, then resume it, the card is no longer revealed, but instead is back to the initial set-up. Once it's revealed, it goes straight to the next card rather than showing you if you were right or wrong with whatever you entered. Slightly annoying, but not a major problem, by and large. Not sure if it remembers the result of flipping over the card.

Also, when you choose to replay either of the correct or entered stroke orders, the count starts at 0, not 1 (so at the end it says, say, 12/13...). Oops.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis - it might be that the software is just skipping the last card because it's incomplete / missing a definition - what type of test is this? Does it make any difference if you enable the "allow missing sections" option (Tests tab of Advanced Settings)?

radioman - disabling those buttons isn't our doing... must be something on the Palm OS end. We can certainly take a look but if this turns out to be something T5-specific it may not be feasible to fix it at this point.

Tapping-and-holding on the category selection button (in a session) should already give you something pretty close to that function - a list of the categories the card is in (tap to remove) followed by a list of the categories it's not in (tap to add).

ipsi - yeah, you're right, we really need to save out that state information in saved sessions. But that's definitely a 2.0.3 enhancement at this point, way too much new-bug-introducing potential for 2.0.2b5.

radioman

状元
Understood about the tap and hold, but I thought there could be some benefit to seeing the categories without tapping and holding. Unfortunately for me, my cards are just not as cleanly organized as I would like. So as I am running flashcard sessions, I am also hoping to ensure the categories are appropriate, but that basically requires me to tap and hold a lot of cards. Maybe it's just me...

mikelove said:
radioman
Tapping-and-holding on the category selection button (in a session) should already give you something pretty close to that function - a list of the categories the card is in (tap to remove) followed by a list of the categories it's not in (tap to add).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well I guess there's something to be said for making it a little faster by popping up the menu as soon as you tap on it, but I'm really not sure about adding yet another checkbox somewhere which makes the list work that way - that's getting a little nitty-gritty even for us :) A direct jump to the "Edit Cats" screen might be worth considering, though.