Pleco for Android 2.3.7 Bug Report Thread

Alexis

状元
"Dictionary->Search Settings->Input Processing->Flexible syllable" description sentence gets cut off at "two-syllable" but should probably finish with "xi'an".

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
"Dictionary->Search Settings->Input Processing->Flexible syllable" description sentence gets cut off at "two-syllable" but should probably finish with "xi'an".

Good catch, thanks!

Alexis

状元
Flashcards->Card Statistics reports a large number of cards (7714) when the category is set to "Flashcards". However, I only have one top-level category (with about 110 sub-categories), which have a grand total of 3018 flashcards. When I set the category to my one top-level category, then it correctly reports the total 3018 cards.

I also have a large number of duplicate cards (they show up when I do a search for duplicate cards). I don't have any "Uncategorized" cards (I'm wondering if somehow there are a number of cards still attached to a category that no longer exists?)

I was messing around a lot with my flashcards a while back. Importing cards, allowing duplicates, deleting whole batches of cards, and reimporting. Everything looks fine in day-to-day use, but the above leads me to suspect that there are a bunch of phantom cards (ie. cards that don't show up in "Organize Cards").

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
Flashcards->Card Statistics reports a large number of cards (7714) when the category is set to "Flashcards". However, I only have one top-level category (with about 110 sub-categories), which have a grand total of 3018 flashcards. When I set the category to my one top-level category, then it correctly reports the total 3018 cards.

I also have a large number of duplicate cards (they show up when I do a search for duplicate cards). I don't have any "Uncategorized" cards (I'm wondering if somehow there are a number of cards still attached to a category that no longer exists?)

That's possible, particularly as there were a few bugs that could cause this behavior back in the beta days - if you PM me your flashcard database we can take a look here and hopefully clean it up for you.

Alexis

状元
In flashcards, when "Prompt for recall quality" is on, it would be nice if the "Skip" button would change to "Undo Score" as soon as the "reveal" button is pressed. (It currently only changes to undo score after a recall quality button is selected).

The reason for this is that I occasionally/often, hit the wrong correct/incorrect button, then hit back to undo the score, then realize that I have to enter a recall quality, then go back to test to enter the quality, then hit back to really undo the score.

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
That's possible, particularly as there were a few bugs that could cause this behavior back in the beta days - if you PM me your flashcard database we can take a look here and hopefully clean it up for you.

Thanks Mike. Yes, this database went through WM, Android Beta, Android versions. I'll PM you the file.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
In flashcards, when "Prompt for recall quality" is on, it would be nice if the "Skip" button would change to "Undo Score" as soon as the "reveal" button is pressed. (It currently only changes to undo score after a recall quality button is selected).

Good idea (exactly what "undo" is designed for) - thanks.

Alexis said:
Thanks Mike. Yes, this database went through WM, Android Beta, Android versions. I'll PM you the file.

OK, we'll try to get back to you on it in a day or two, thanks!

Alexis

状元
Settings->Dictionary->Search Settings->Search Dictionaries->Dictionary Search Order = Current doesn't seem to work when searching in English-Chinese dictionaries. It always stays in the current dictionary.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
Settings->Dictionary->Search Settings->Search Dictionaries->Dictionary Search Order = Current doesn't seem to work when searching in English-Chinese dictionaries. It always stays in the current dictionary.

Does it work if you turn off merged multi search? Could be a bug in that - merged multi is coming to E-C shortly (it was a little tricky to get it to return results quickly if you do a full-text search for a very common word, but we finally cracked it) but the code that supports it might be causing some odd side-effects in E-C now.

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
Alexis said:

Does it work if you turn off merged multi search? Could be a bug in that - merged multi is coming to E-C shortly (it was a little tricky to get it to return results quickly if you do a full-text search for a very common word, but we finally cracked it) but the code that supports it might be causing some odd side-effects in E-C now.

I still see this issue when "Merged-Multi" is turned off.

Alexis

状元
Note: I have "Settings->Dictionary->Search Settings->Full-text->Integrate into English" turned on.

When I am performing a dictionary search in "English" mode, I type in "piggu". Since it cannot find it in the English dictionaries, it switches to Chinese-English. Which is good. Now if I hit backspace, erase all the letters, and type "dog", it stays in "Reverse lookup", whereas I would have expected it to revert to regular lookup.

Alexis

状元
In a flashcard session, after revealing an answer, if one clicks on the chinese character, then clicks on the "magnifying glass" icon, the flashcard session is terminated without saving.

Also, is it intentional to have an "add to flashcard" icon to show up when one clicks a character in a flashcard session?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
When I am performing a dictionary search in "English" mode, I type in "piggu". Since it cannot find it in the English dictionaries, it switches to Chinese-English. Which is good. Now if I hit backspace, erase all the letters, and type "dog", it stays in "Reverse lookup", whereas I would have expected it to revert to regular lookup.

Do you have the search dictionary order set to "From First"? If not, this is actually the normal behavior, though it's certainly debatable whether or not it should be.

Alexis said:
In a flashcard session, after revealing an answer, if one clicks on the chinese character, then clicks on the "magnifying glass" icon, the flashcard session is terminated without saving.

Yeah, we've had one or two other reports of that - should be fixed in 2.3.8.

Alexis said:
Also, is it intentional to have an "add to flashcard" icon to show up when one clicks a character in a flashcard session?

Yes - in fact a number of people have cited the ability to create flashcards from within a flashcard session as one of their favorite little Pleco features :) (see a character in the headword that you're not too familiar with, think you ought to study it, tap on it and tap on + and now it's in your flashcard list)

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
Alexis said:

Do you have the search dictionary order set to "From First"? If not, this is actually the normal behavior, though it's certainly debatable whether or not it should be.)

Yes, I have search dictionary order set to "From First". Since there's no mechanism to indicate to the user whether we are doing a full-text search or not, I personally expect the thing to do a normal dictionary search, then fall back to the reverse search every time I change a letter in the search field.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
Yes, I have search dictionary order set to "From First". Since there's no mechanism to indicate to the user whether we are doing a full-text search or not, I personally expect the thing to do a normal dictionary search, then fall back to the reverse search every time I change a letter in the search field.

Well with "from first" it should be doing that... we'll investigate, may be another Merged Multi thing.

HedgePig

举人
Flashcards - editing a search

I keep my flashcards in two groups. The first is my "New" flashcards and once I fool myself that I know them reasonably well, I then move them into my big "Known" list. From time to time I do a search (usually by score) on my "New" list and then edit the results and "move" those that i know to the "Known" list. However, the move doesn't seem to work as a "move" but rather as a "copy", i.e. the "moved" cards do indeed appear in my "Known" list but they still remain in my "New" list and I then have to delete them from that category.

This behaviour of "move" when editing a search seems inconsistent with the behaviour of "move" when directly editing categories. I'm not sure if this is intentional or is indeed a bug.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HedgePig said:
This behaviour of "move" when editing a search seems inconsistent with the behaviour of "move" when directly editing categories. I'm not sure if this is intentional or is indeed a bug.

It should only say "Copy," actually. Or maybe just "Set category" and "unset category." It would be impossible to "Move" a card from search results because it's not clear what you're "moving" it from - if you had a search for (for example) cards that were in your "New" category OR your "Chapter 15" category, what would we do with a card that was in both?

HedgePig

举人
Hello Mike - thanks for the reply and explanation.

As to what "Move" should do if the card exists in more than one category, I think it _should_ move it from all categories where the card exists and into the targetted new category. This seems reasonable to me. I can achieve this anyway by first copying to my target category and then deleting from my source categories. (I must admit I haven't actually tried this where the card exists in more than once source category.) However this required me to firstly select the cards for a "copy" and then go back and select them for a "delete" and this is a bit messy and error-prone.

Apologies if it seems like I'm harping on about this! Overall, I love Pleco. I don't think I've ever come across such as wellthought-out piece of software.

Regards
HedgePig

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HedgePig said:
As to what "Move" should do if the card exists in more than one category, I think it _should_ move it from all categories where the card exists and into the targetted new category. This seems reasonable to me. I can achieve this anyway by first copying to my target category and then deleting from my source categories. (I must admit I haven't actually tried this where the card exists in more than once source category.) However this required me to firstly select the cards for a "copy" and then go back and select them for a "delete" and this is a bit messy and error-prone.

Interesting, but I'd be worried about it doing this without warning people - for someone with (for example) a collection of textbook-based categories, there's pretty much no reason why they'd ever want to remove a card from those categories since the categories are supposed to match up with the textbook vocabulary. So it's perhaps a bit more dramatic than most users are likely to be looking for.

An option we've occasionally considered is to allow users to set a flag on a particular category that indicates that cards can only belong to one of its child categories at a time; if you wanted to have, say, your own special categories for "really hard words" and "somewhat hard words," you could use this feature to ensure that adding a card to "somewhat hard words" would remove it from "really hard words." Would this help with your situation? When are you generally finding yourself wanting to put a word in a particular category to the exclusion of all other categories?

I having an issue with getting updates for Pleco. I have Version 2.3.1. You are now on version 2.3.7. I look in my pending updates but nothing is listed. I purchased prior to you going to the market. Usually I get my apps from the market and check the auto update box. The market recognizes that I have Pleco but it is not part of "my apps". So when I go to Pleco in the Market it says "open" and not "install". So I am unable to get updates from the market. I feel like I am in a hole between beta and market.