Pleco for Android 2.3.7 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mfcb said:
when i start pleco via the "reader shortcut" with something in the clipboard, i have to press "back" several times to get out of pleco again, at least 2 times to leave the reader and one more time to finally leave the main screen also...
sometimes 4 or 5 back are necessary... as its a little unpredictable, sometimes i also accidentally close the app i want to go back to...

This should be dealt with in 2.3.8, which no longer launches everything through that main screen and so won't trigger the popup reader when you launch from one of those icons.

Wan

榜眼
Found a bug in the flashcard system. How to reproduce:
Start a new flashcard session. The kind of test does not matter, it could be review only, handwriting or anything else. From within the test, tap on a character to produce that top bar with the buttons “copy to clipboard”, “audio”, “plus”, “add to flashcards”, “loupe” and “>”. Tap the “loupe” button to reach the main screen with the word you had tapped before in the input field. At this point, your current flashcard session will be cancelled without a possibility to save it.

I didn’t want to read the whole thread, so maybe this has already been posted before. Or maybe it’s a feature.

edit: I just read the thread from the beginning after all, and this has been mentioned before :)

ckatt

状元
Ran into a bug in the flash card filters, i cannot filter cards created after a certain date. i tried to do this yesterday, i wanted only to test on cards created in the past 5 days, but it would not let me change the date
my settings were:

Include card if
created
Is
after
Date
here i would put june 1 2012 or something but it would not change from may 28 2012 also for some reason the new cards that i had created that day were showing the wrong date not, june 6 as the should have, but also may 28th. I thought maybe the system date was set wrong but it was correct so that wan't the problem. I should also note that may 29 was the day that i transferred the license from my palm os version to the android one im not sure if that is related as i haven't tried to use this filter before.
Anyway i tried again today to use it and this time the date is stuck on 1970-01-01. i cannot change the time either which is stuck at 8:00 am Weird eh?
I should note that i am running pleco on an asus transformer tf101 and it is not rooted or anything

Alexis

状元
Is Flashcards->Review Flashcards->Card Filters->History Filter missing the "Is" field? (The Record Field has it). Otherwise the "Than" field doesn't make much sense. I might also suggest dynamically renaming the "Than" field as follows:
- If "Is" is set to "=", then call the field "To", otherwise call the field "Than".

That being said, I just realized today that my life-long dream of creating a flashcard profile to review flashcards that I last got incorrect is possible using the Flashcard filter, a new profile (with scoring off) and a shared scorefile (well at least once ">" is implemented in the History Filter). Thank you Card Filter! And thanks Mike for putting in a system that allows us to do very custom things :D

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ckatt said:
Anyway i tried again today to use it and this time the date is stuck on 1970-01-01. i cannot change the time either which is stuck at 8:00 am Weird eh?
I should note that i am running pleco on an asus transformer tf101 and it is not rooted or anything

Known issue, unfortunately - it'll be fixed in the next update, we would have put out a bug-fix release a while ago if we'd known the engine upgrades were going to take this long to nail down but now we've got so many bug fixes in the new update that it would be tough to find / fork them off in a separate release. But hopefully it'll be ready at last in the very near future. (darn wedding derailed my own contributions for a few weeks...)

In the meantime I'd suggest using the "within" / "not within" options instead, which should still let you set a time pretty accurately.

Alexis said:
Is Flashcards->Review Flashcards->Card Filters->History Filter missing the "Is" field? (The Record Field has it). Otherwise the "Than" field doesn't make much sense. I might also suggest dynamically renaming the "Than" field as follows:
- If "Is" is set to "=", then call the field "To", otherwise call the field "Than".

Nope, the whole thing is supposed to be "Is >=" rather than "than." Sorry for the mixed-up label.

Alexis said:
That being said, I just realized today that my life-long dream of creating a flashcard profile to review flashcards that I last got incorrect is possible using the Flashcard filter, a new profile (with scoring off) and a shared scorefile (well at least once ">" is implemented in the History Filter). Thank you Card Filter! And thanks Mike for putting in a system that allows us to do very custom things

Thanks! Card Filters continue to be one of the Pleco flashcard innovations I'm proudest of, to the point that I'm actually a little surprised they haven't been copied yet by Anki et al.

kiraven

举人
Hey,
I 've a bug in the flashcard system.
To reproduce:
During testing, I pressed the wrong button, so I want to undo the card score.
I press the lower "Back"-Button, and then the Back-Button with an arrow, to get back to the wrong assessed card. Then I 've the phenomena that all buttons vanish, covered by a gray layer, see first picture.
Do continue/undo that, I press Edit and then Back again, so that the screen is refreshed. Then, I can undo the card score.
Then, when I want to continue to study and press "Test", I experience the second bug: The font size of the choice buttons is bigger then normal, as on the second picture.
For the next card, the font size is normal again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-06-07-12-44-02.png
    Screenshot_2012-06-07-12-44-02.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,105
  • Screenshot_2012-06-07-12-44-21.png
    Screenshot_2012-06-07-12-44-21.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,128

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
kiraven said:
I press the lower "Back"-Button, and then the Back-Button with an arrow, to get back to the wrong assessed card. Then I 've the phenomena that all buttons vanish, covered by a gray layer, see first picture.
Do continue/undo that, I press Edit and then Back again, so that the screen is refreshed. Then, I can undo the card score.
Then, when I want to continue to study and press "Test", I experience the second bug: The font size of the choice buttons is bigger then normal, as on the second picture.

Thanks - seeing this here too.

Re: 2.2.11 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

I've been noticing a subtle little bug

Android system
running on Samsung GS2 with ICS

Many times, when I am using the flashcard testing fill-in-the-blanks of writing Chinese Characters, if I get the first character wrong the subsequent characters are also highlighted red (not green) even if I actually got them correct.

... minor cosmetic impact, but it does mean I have to look carefully when I made a mistake, to figure which characters are incorrect.

Please look into it :)

J

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
BowerJanos said:
Many times, when I am using the flashcard testing fill-in-the-blanks of writing Chinese Characters, if I get the first character wrong the subsequent characters are also highlighted red (not green) even if I actually got them correct.

We'll investigate, thanks.

HW60

状元
In dictionary mode, HWR input, I look up 確, long version of 确. I have 17 custom flashcards with this character included, all Japanese with @ in first place of the Pinyin field. With non user dictionaries, I have no problems, e.g. PLC shows the character. When I tap PLC to change the dictionary, and the next dictionary is my user dict, I see the Japanese entry (just 確 with definition) for about 2 seconds, then Pleco terminates and I get the Android start screen. When the order of dictionaries starts with my user dict (which is normally the case), then after I tap "Done" (having HWR-entered 確), Pleco tminates after about 2 seconds. This does not happen with Windows mobile and the same flashcard DB and user dict, and did not happen so far with any other character I was searching. There is no problem to find the flashcards containing 確 with Flashcards/Search/~Headword.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
In dictionary mode, HWR input, I look up 確, long version of 确. I have 17 custom flashcards with this character included, all Japanese with @ in first place of the Pinyin field. With non user dictionaries, I have no problems, e.g. PLC shows the character. When I tap PLC to change the dictionary, and the next dictionary is my user dict, I see the Japanese entry (just 確 with definition) for about 2 seconds, then Pleco terminates and I get the Android start screen. When the order of dictionaries starts with my user dict (which is normally the case), then after I tap "Done" (having HWR-entered 確), Pleco tminates after about 2 seconds. This does not happen with Windows mobile and the same flashcard DB and user dict, and did not happen so far with any other character I was searching. There is no problem to find the flashcards containing 確 with Flashcards/Search/~Headword.

Could you send me your crash log? (download aLogcat from Android Market, cause this crash, then immediately run aLogcat and send along the output from that)

mnanon

秀才
I have installed the two Extended Audio files. Whenever I attempt to play an audio recording, I am asked to install the basic audio files.

Not sure if it is a bug.

Do I still need the basic audio pronunciation files even though the Extended Audio files are installed ?

I have not installed the basic audio files as I wanted to be certain that the application isn't using the basic audio recordings.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mnanon said:
Do I still need the basic audio pronunciation files even though the Extended Audio files are installed ?

I have not installed the basic audio files as I wanted to be certain that the application isn't using the basic audio recordings.

Yes - we're (probably) going to change this in a future update since it seems to create a lot of confusion, but you need both sets of files.

mnanon

秀才
mikelove said:
mnanon said:

Yes - we're (probably) going to change this in a future update since it seems to create a lot of confusion, but you need both sets of files.

Thank you. Guess this is covered in the manual- should had checked it.

:oops:

Wan

榜眼
when I interrupt flashcard sessions and save them, the sessions sometimes gets cancelled when I try to restart it. The screen with the “Resume session” button freezes for a second, then the normal screen with the “start session” button appears. I can’t reproduce this on purpose, it just happens every third time or so I try to resume a session.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Wan said:
when I interrupt flashcard sessions and save them, the sessions sometimes gets cancelled when I try to restart it. The screen with the “Resume session” button freezes for a second, then the normal screen with the “start session” button appears. I can’t reproduce this on purpose, it just happens every third time or so I try to resume a session.

Could you send me your crash log? Download aLogcat from Google Play, then run it right after Pleco crashes and email or PM me the log output it gives you. But please update to 2.3.8 first if you can - we've improved our debug logging a bit so that it should be easier to pinpoint exactly where the problem is.

Wan

榜眼
mikelove said:
Could you send me your crash log? Download aLogcat from Google Play, then run it right after Pleco crashes and email or PM me the log output it gives you. But please update to 2.3.8 first if you can - we've improved our debug logging a bit so that it should be easier to pinpoint exactly where the problem is.
The bug has not occurred in 2.3.8.
Kudos!

Wan

kiraven

举人
mikelove said:
kiraven said:

Thanks - seeing this here too.

Hi Mike,
the first part of the bug is fixed, but the second part (font size) still exist the newest CN Pleco.