Pleco for Android 2.3.7 Bug Report Thread

alexclark

Re: Pleco for Android 2.3.6 Bug Report Thread

It is not really a bug, but writing input in the new version became "less smooth". Before I was able to draw smooth horizontal lines with ease. After the upgrade lines look very jagged and characters look downright ugly. I will be switching to the old version as now I am afraid to look at my own handwriting :D
I am using Transformer pad.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

alexclark said:
It is not really a bug, but writing input in the new version became "less smooth". Before I was able to draw smooth horizontal lines with ease. After the upgrade lines look very jagged and characters look downright ugly. I will be switching to the old version as now I am afraid to look at my own handwriting :D
I am using Transformer pad.

That's odd, we didn't touch the code for that at all - are you sure that you didn't (say) update your device's operating system at around this same time? Try powering it off and on again completely (hold down the power button) - does that help?

alexclark

Sorry for the false alarm. It appears that problem was on my end. Right now I tried again and handwriting is back to normal. Apparently my Transformer was doing something in the background that resulted in what I described. Next time I will give it more time before making judgements. Thanks for quick response.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member

alexclark said:
Sorry for the false alarm. It appears that problem was on my end. Right now I tried again and handwriting is back to normal. Apparently my Transformer was doing something in the background that resulted in what I described. Next time I will give it more time before making judgements. Thanks for quick response.

No problem - big relief to hear that, you had me worried there...

krannicj

Multiple choice test-type not working

Multiple choice is not working for me. Whenever I try to do a flashcard test using this test-type I get something like this (see attachment below). Using a
Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100) with 2.3.4 Gingerbread from Samsung (original german ROM)...

Attachments

• flashcard.png
    flashcard.png
    28 KB · Views: 2,412

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
krannicj said:
Multiple choice is not working for me. Whenever I try to do a flashcard test using this test-type I get something like this (see attachment below). Using a
Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100) with 2.3.4 Gingerbread from Samsung (original german ROM)...

That's odd... could you PM me a backup of your flashcard database? We use an SGS2 as one of our main development systems here, so it's unlikely to be a hardware-specific thing.

Daan

秀才
Just last week I tried to help someone install Pleco on her Samsung phone, but for some reason or other, it would not appear in the Android Market, and even clicking on a direct link to Pleco in the Android Market would only result in an error message about the software not being available. It was a pretty new Samsung phone, with full normal Android Market access (at least as far as I could see), so I can't imagine you wouldn't support it? Can this have been a glitch, in which case I should probably try again? Or are there known issues with some Samsung phones and downloading from the Android market?

It's stupid but I forgot to take down the exact model and Android version it runs, though I am sure it was 2.2+. The strange thing didn't even say "this app won't run on your phone", it literally couldn't find Pleco anywhere. I also tried Plecodict and a number of permutations, but no joy.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Daan said:
Just last week I tried to help someone install Pleco on her Samsung phone, but for some reason or other, it would not appear in the Android Market, and even clicking on a direct link to Pleco in the Android Market would only result in an error message about the software not being available. It was a pretty new Samsung phone, with full normal Android Market access (at least as far as I could see), so I can't imagine you wouldn't support it? Can this have been a glitch, in which case I should probably try again? Or are there known issues with some Samsung phones and downloading from the Android market?

It's stupid but I forgot to take down the exact model and Android version it runs, though I am sure it was 2.2+. The strange thing didn't even say "this app won't run on your phone", it literally couldn't find Pleco anywhere. I also tried Plecodict and a number of permutations, but no joy.

Was her phone purchased in / tied to a cell carrier in China? If so then it can't download paid Android Market apps, but our alternate "CN Pleco Chinese Dictionary" app should be available and work. So if that's not it either then I'm not sure what the problem would be...

Daan

秀才
I don't think that was the case, but I'll double-check and let you know the model + Android version if that wasn't the probem :) Thanks!

krannicj

Renaming of flashcard testing profiles not possible

Minor bug in context of flashcards: renaming of a testing profile doesn't work. To reproduce:

1) Review flashcards -> Manage Profiles -> create new; let's call this one "Test"
2) Go back to flashcard review dialog and see this new "Test" profile beeing selected as the current profile
3) Again go to "Manage Profiles" -> tap on "Test" profile and rename to "Anything else"
4) Go back to flashcard review dialo and see: "Test" is still selected (should be "Anything else" now)...
5) "Manage Profile" one more time will also show the first name selected ("Test" in our case), so the new name obviously has been dropped...

Btw: sometimes it works correctly, sometimes is does not. Didn't find any rule for this so far, so maybe you will not be able to reproduce immediatly...

Edit: Hmmm, and maybe this is just a displaying/caching problem: if you exit flashcard-app and restart, the profiles is shown correctly!?

Edit 2: if you REALLY exit (using a TaskManager) the problem remains => old name is shown...

Best regards,
Jay

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Renaming of flashcard testing profiles not possible

krannicj said:
Minor bug in context of flashcards: renaming of a testing profile doesn't work. To reproduce:

1) Review flashcards -> Manage Profiles -> create new; let's call this one "Test"
2) Go back to flashcard review dialog and see this new "Test" profile beeing selected as the current profile
3) Again go to "Manage Profiles" -> tap on "Test" profile and rename to "Anything else"
4) Go back to flashcard review dialo and see: "Test" is still selected (should be "Anything else" now)...
5) "Manage Profile" one more time will also show the first name selected ("Test" in our case), so the new name obviously has been dropped...

Btw: sometimes it works correctly, sometimes is does not. Didn't find any rule for this so far, so maybe you will not be able to reproduce immediatly...

Edit: Hmmm, and maybe this is just a displaying/caching problem: if you exit flashcard-app and restart, the profiles is shown correctly!?

Edit 2: if you REALLY exit (using a TaskManager) the problem remains => old name is shown...

Yes, seeing that here too - thanks!

Daan

秀才
mikelove said:
Was her phone purchased in / tied to a cell carrier in China? If so then it can't download paid Android Market apps, but our alternate "CN Pleco Chinese Dictionary" app should be available and work. So if that's not it either then I'm not sure what the problem would be...

Hmm. I confirmed her phone wasn't bought in China, but still, it proved impossible to find Pleco anywhere in the Android Market. And if you point the device's web browser to http://www.pleco.com/getandroid and run the package after it's finished downloading, you get an Android error saying there was a problem parsing the package. It's a Samsung GT-I9000 phone, bought in the Netherlands and running kernel 2.6.29 (fimware 2.1, update 1: ECLAIR). Now, I thought that this "kernel 2.6.29" meant that it was Android 2.6, but it turns out that's the Linux kernel version, and the Android version is only given between parentheses, as I've just found out. And as Pleco only runs on Android 2.2+, a firmware update for the device should do the trick, I guess!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Daan said:
It's a Samsung GT-I9000 phone, bought in the Netherlands and running kernel 2.6.29 (fimware 2.1, update 1: ECLAIR). Now, I thought that this "kernel 2.6.29" meant that it was Android 2.6, but it turns out that's the Linux kernel version, and the Android version is only given between parentheses, as I've just found out. And as Pleco only runs on Android 2.2+, a firmware update for the device should do the trick, I guess!

Ah, that explains it - a 2.2 upgrade should definitely fix this, yes.

can't suppress history button

On Galaxy Note:

Settings>Dictionary>Main screen interface>Portrait orientation>Controls (keyboard open)
fails to hide the history button, which remains visible all the time.

Settings>Dictionary>Main screen interface>Portrait orientation>Controls (keyboard closed)
properly hides/shows history button

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JimmyTheSaint said:
Settings>Dictionary>Main screen interface>Portrait orientation>Controls (keyboard open)
fails to hide the history button, which remains visible all the time.

Settings>Dictionary>Main screen interface>Portrait orientation>Controls (keyboard closed)
properly hides/shows history button

Looks like the problem here is the fact that you've set the input method selection bar to be hidden, which currently causes Pleco to always use the "keyboard closed" configuration. Have to double-check if there was a particular reason why we made it work that way or if it's just a bug.

Alexis

状元
Small bug with text in the input bar turning white (on light grey), making it hard to see. Steps to reproduce:

1) Click in input bar
2) Type 'ren' (white text on blue background)
3) Close the keyboard with the back button
4) Click in the input bar to the right of text, now have white text on orange background
5) Click in the input bar to the right of text, the orange background disappears, but the text remains white

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
Small bug with text in the input bar turning white (on light grey), making it hard to see. Steps to reproduce:

1) Click in input bar
4) Click in the input bar to the right of text, now have white text on orange background
5) Click in the input bar to the right of text, the orange background disappears, but the text remains white

Not seeing this here - are you in Night Mode?

Alexis

状元
mikelove said:
Alexis said:

1) Click in input bar

Not seeing this here - are you in Night Mode?

Not in night mode. But I think I found the culprit. This was happening when using the XT9 Keyboard. When I switched to the stock Android keyboard, there was no issue. It seems that when XT9 highlights the word, it creates the blue Background with white text when suggesting spelling "fixes". It seems like the white text 'sticks' after this in certain cases.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Alexis said:
Not in night mode. But I think I found the culprit. This was happening when using the XT9 Keyboard. When I switched to the stock Android keyboard, there was no issue. It seems that when XT9 highlights the word, it creates the blue Background with white text when suggesting spelling "fixes". It seems like the white text 'sticks' after this in certain cases.

Ah, that would explain it then. It may be that our text field is interacting with XT9 in a way that it doesn't expect, though the code surrounding that is delicate enough that I'm not sure if we could fix it without introducing more problems... we can certainly investigate though.