Flashcards

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The lack of tabs shouldn't be a problem as long as the lines are separated... by "shuts down," do you mean that Pleco indicates that the import is finished, or is there an error message (or crash?) instead? If you email your import file to support@pleco.com we can take a look at it and check to see if there are any obvious problems.

C

Charles

I have a fill-in-the-blanks flashcard profile where I show the definition and prompt for the headword. The purpose of this is to test myself on both the handwriting and the pronunciation. Sometimes, I remember how to write the character(s), but I don't correctly remember the pronunciation (especially the tone(s)). I would like to have the system record this as an incorrect answer, but if I have entered the character(s) correctly, it will automatically record it as a correct answer. Is there any way to have a fill-in-the-blanks flashcard profile be self graded so that I can record an answer as incorrect even if I have entered the character(s) correctly?

kohoutek

So, I bit the bullet and replaced my WM mobile subscription with a new subscription that I can use on both my iPhone and iPad. It's been great to have flashcards and dictionary at my fingertips regardless of which device I am carrying... :)

I think it was asked a while ago, but I haven't seen an update: Will there be, or is there already, a way to sync my flashcards with iTunes so that cards I add on either device become part of the same list on the other device? I'm finding I have a growing list of added cards on each device, but haven't found a convenient way to merge them often and regularly. (I know I can manually transfer the lists, but it's enough trouble that I don't bother to do it.)

Thanks!
Andrew

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
There won't be a way to sync via iTunes, at least not unless Apple adds a system to allow individual applications to sync data that way (there isn't one now), but we are planning some sort of sync solution - it'll most likely be web-based, actually.

magicdave

秀才
Recently I've been shifting the focus of my flashcards to Chinese sentences with spaces missing, rather than English definitions. I was wondering whether it's possible to have multiple definitions for a single headword, and have one randomly selected each time. I realise I could make duplicate cards of the same headwords, but is there way of a) grouping their scores together, and b) stopping duplicates from occurring during the same session?
So, to take a simple example: if I want to study the measure word 把, I might have 5 or 6 different cards looking like this: 一...勺子,一...扇子,一...剪子,一...伞. But I would just want one score for 把 rather than a separate score for each word. I also wouldn't want to have more than one of these cards during one session.
Is this already doable if I twiddle with the settings in some way? If not, could it be a future feature? Another way to do it would to have an 'add another definition' button on a single card, and then perhaps the option to either cycle through the different definitions in turn, or have one selected at random each time.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
magicdave said:
Recently I've been shifting the focus of my flashcards to Chinese sentences with spaces missing, rather than English definitions. I was wondering whether it's possible to have multiple definitions for a single headword, and have one randomly selected each time. I realise I could make duplicate cards of the same headwords, but is there way of a) grouping their scores together, and b) stopping duplicates from occurring during the same session?

That's not currently supported, though it's an interesting idea - grouping multiple definitions together under the same card ID would make more sense here than linking cards, I think (and be easier to support with our current database structure). Though it almost feels like this would be easier for users to set up / understand if we built it specifically as an "example sentence review" feature. There'd have to be English translations of the full sentences along with the fill-in-the-blanks characters, though - there are lots of example sentences where the word might be interchangeable.

magicdave

秀才
It could be a distinct practice mode, but it's fairly easy to set up as it is. At the moment my (slightly bloated) flashcards look like this:
first 4 or 5 example sentences with underscores showing where the headwords should go (for example 堵车的话,开车__走路快__ - where the answer is 不比...多少) Then I sometimes have an English definition underneath if I think the example sentences aren't obvious enough on their own, and finally a few notes underneath about the technical points of its usage.
It means that at the moment I'm spending more time working on the definitions of the flashcards themselves than I am actually reviewing them, but I think it's going to be worth it in the long run. I found that my flashcard practice before was great for improving recognition, but the words weren't popping into my head when I actually wanted to use them in conversation. I also think that customising the cards to this extent is a good way of re-introducing 'the DIY factor' (http://www.sinosplice.com/life/archives ... -about-srs) and combating the fact that sometimes Pleco is just a little bit TOO convenient.
As for multiple definition entries for cards, I think it would be a useful option for all the practice modes, not just 'fill in the blanks' sentences like the example I gave above.

On a different note: another useful option would be not to show how many characters you're required to input. So, for example, I might have a pair of cards with sentences testing me on the distinction between the use of 几乎 and 差点儿 - but at the moment I'd immediately know that if the answer is 2 characters long, it's 几乎, and 差点儿 if 3. But I realise that would be further adding to the options complexity at a time when you're trying to make the system easier to use.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
magicdave said:
As for multiple definition entries for cards, I think it would be a useful option for all the practice modes, not just 'fill in the blanks' sentences like the example I gave above.

Makes sense, once we've supported it anyway we might as well support it everywhere.

magicdave said:
On a different note: another useful option would be not to show how many characters you're required to input. So, for example, I might have a pair of cards with sentences testing me on the distinction between the use of 几乎 and 差点儿 - but at the moment I'd immediately know that if the answer is 2 characters long, it's 几乎, and 差点儿 if 3. But I realise that would be further adding to the options complexity at a time when you're trying to make the system easier to use.

We're a bit wary of that not only because it adds to complexity but also because it makes the interface more awkward - manually indicating that you've finished a word instead of automatically having the software process your answer. Though it's certainly something that might make sense as an option for advanced learners who don't mind.

radioman

状元
Score Files

I know there are different score files.

However, if I am using Default, and then move "Show" from Definition to Characters, are the scores stored separately or in the same bin?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Re: Score Files

radioman said:
I know there are different score files.

However, if I am using Default, and then move "Show" from Definition to Characters, are the scores stored separately or in the same bin?

Same bin - the idea is that you'd do that through multiple profiles, one to show definition that links to one scorefile and one to show characters that links to another - you can easily duplicate a profile if you don't want to have to tediously re-do the settings in both of them.

radioman

状元
If I'm using the dictionary, sometimes I want to highlight a character or word for study later. But, more often than I would like to admit, I accidentally add an entry to one of my categories that I did not want to add. Is there a way to quickly undo an added entry?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman said:
If I'm using the dictionary, sometimes I want to highlight a character or word for study later. But, more often than I would like to admit, I accidentally add an entry to one of my categories that I did not want to add. Is there a way to quickly undo an added entry?

Not yet, but there will be in 2.3 - the + button is turning into more of a toggle, and we're also adding a section to the History screen for recently created / reassigned flashcards. In the meantime the best bet would probably be to set up Search Cards to search for "all cards" in order "modified" "descending" - that'll let you pull up that accidentally-added card reasonably quickly at least.