Flashcards

taijidan

举人
The pleco server for uploading \ downloading flashcard files , backups etc uses a different port everytime it starts up - why is that? is it a security thing? I wanted to set up a bookmark in my browser, but have to change the port everytime.

Spufi

How do you download the flashcard module? I went to add ons in Pleco but I do not see where to download the flashcard module.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
taijidan - mostly a security thing, yes; I suppose we could offer an option to keep it unchanged in a future release, though. Or just keep it unchanged all the time but add the ability to set a password (safer anyway).

Spufi - there's no need to download anything, actually; there's no demo version of it at the moment (we wanted to get it out ASAP so we held off on the demo until a later release), but the software code is built into the app, so once you buy it you instantly get access to it.

Spufi

I am new to both the iPod touch and Pleco so maybe I am missing something obvious. I bought the Professional bundle and it works fine on my ipod touch. I just can't find where you launch the flashcards. The manual says third button from the left but it is not there.

julienne

hi Spufi,
touch the last icon on the bottom that looks kind of like a fan. It will cause another line of icons to appear beneath, the third of which is a light bulb labeled "Flashcards" Happy flashing! :lol:

gato

状元
elipio said:
Flashcards looking great! Sadly there are so many options and settings... Man, I need the manual;-)
The interface can be simplified by merging some of the options and hiding some of the other options in an "advanced" panel or even eliminating some options. I've been thinking a while about starting thread on simplifying the Pleco user interface, but haven't gotten around to putting the thoughts together. Maybe should start one anyway to get the ball rolling.

taijidan

举人
Is there anyway to set the default category from within the flashcard module?
At the moment it looks like it needs to be done from the settings module.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
gato - I'm about to start a thread on that for 2.2.

taijidan - no way to set it within the flashcard module, but you can actually set it anywhere you're adding a new flashcard by simply tap-holding on the + button and selecting the new default category. Out of curiosity, why do you need to change the default category in the flashcard module? New cards you create manually are added to whatever category you're currently viewing in "Organize Cards" regardless of what the default category is.

xhjema

Problem after transfer of flashcards from WM to iPhone:
all flashcards in all categories say: " The dict or entry linked to is missing
or can not be reached" (or similar).
Do I need other dict on The iPhone?

Best regards
-matti

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
They're probably linked to Oxford, which isn't available in our iPhone software. Go to "Search Cards," do a search for cards that are "incomplete," tap "Edit" in the search results screen, tap "Batch," and "Remap" them to the ABC dictionary (or if that's not installed, the Pleco Basic one).

C

Charles

The flashcards are great, but I am having a small problem with one of my profiles. This profile is a fill-in-the-blanks test where I see the pinyin and the definition and then have to draw the Chinese character(s). If I draw a wrong character, I sometimes want to go to the dictionary to see the pinyin and definition for that character. I do this either by pressing the fan-shaped button at the top of the screen and then selecting the dictionary or by selecting one of the characters in the answer screen and then pressing the magnifying glass at the top of the screen. (It doesn't help to press on the ">" button, because that only takes me to whatever character on the screen I have selected -- and the character I want to look at is the one I incorrectly entered. I think the only way to find it is by leaving the flashcards and going to the dictionary.) When I am done looking at the dictionary, I press the fan-shaped button and go back to the flashcards. Then I press the right arrow to go to the next flashcard. At this point, the handwriting recognition starts to act funny. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. Sometimes it throws up scribbles from previous entries. Sometimes it starts acting OK again after 5 seconds or when I press the right arrow again to go to another flashcard. Normally the best way to get it working right again is to press the "X" in the top left corner to leave the session and then to resume the session.

Another minor issue with this fill-in the-blanks test is the following: When I complete my answer by pressing the "Done" button and then pressing the "Check answer" button, when I then press the right arrow key to go to the next flashcard, the handwriting that I drew on the screen for the last character input comes back onto the screen. I have to tap the screen with 2 fingers to clear it. If, on the other hand, I complete my answer by tapping on the screen with 2 fingers, when I then press on the right arrow key to go to the next flashcard, the screen is blank the way it should be.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Charles - thanks! On the first issue, does it help if you close the handwriting box with Done, then tap twice on the drawbox button (字 in a box, second button from the right in the row at the top of the screen)? That might clear up whatever's screwed up the handwriting input system. We'll fix this in 2.1.1 by deleting the handwriting box when you exit the screen (so that using handwriting in the main dictionary tab won't mix this up).

Might be interesting to add the ability to tap on those buttons to bring up Char Info, though. (after you've finished input / scored your answer, of course)

mingtaizu

Hi Everyone:

Mike, I love the new flashcard program and am grateful for your hard works. Thanks a bunch!

I have two queries and was hoping that you('ll) might be able to help.

The first is quite straightforward: Is it possible to create custom entries for Chinese words and test them with the new flashcard system? I'm studying a dialect and am hoping to utilize Pleco in the same way I was able to when I had it for my Tungsten.

The second is a little more confusing and pertains to characters: When testing, is it possible to pull up the headword alongside of what I have written for a character when I am doing a self-graded test? I know that by double-tapping the screen you can write the character, but I'd like to be able to see what I have written next to what is in the dictionary. I'm only able to do that after I reveal the headword and definition. Is this possible with the current version?

Thanks again, Mike, for all of your work!

taijidan

举人
why do you need to change the default category in the flashcard module?
I was used it being within the organize flashcards screen on Palm and I think logically it fits in there well.
I'll often create a new category and then want to set it as the default one straight away.
Being able to set it from the + button is ok though.

C

Charles

mikelove said:
Charles
Might be interesting to add the ability to tap on those buttons to bring up Char Info, though. (after you've finished input / scored your answer, of course)

This is a really good idea. It would be great if you could implement it.

grabolus

举人
Hi,

I would like to import a flashcard text file, in my file the chinese word and the definition is given. I would like to let Pleco add the pinyin.
The file has the required format: Chinese word, two tabs and the definition.
Somehow Pleco does not add the pinyin. The flashcards are without pinyin.
Is there a solution for this? Am I doing something wrong?

Best regards,
Sascha

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mingtaizu - yes; you can create custom cards from the "Organize Cards" screen by tapping on the "New Card" button at the bottom. Alternatively, go into Settings / Dictionary / Entry Commands and enable "Always show edit button" and "Tap-hold create button" - you can then tap-hold on the pencil button at the bottom of the main dictionary screen to create a new flashcard without having to into the Flashcards tab. (you can also just tap on that button to create a new user dictionary entry, which will be searchable as a dictionary entry and can be added to flashcards too)

The other issue is happening because of a bug - normally, the text you draw in that overlay box before a card is revealed should persist after it's revealed so that you can compare it, but that's not happening due to that bug. It's already fixed in our internal builds and will be fixed in the official 2.1.1 update that we plan to release in a few weeks once we've collected / fixed some other bugs in the initial flashcard release.

taijidan - makes sense. I suppose at the very least we could add an indicator in Organize Cards next to the current default category, and an option on the screen you get to with the > button to designate that category as the default.

grabolous - that's not an option right now; basically, since we have no good way to compare the definition you supply with the definitions in our dictionaries, it's too likely that the Pinyin we chose for the card wouldn't match the definition, whereas with character-only or character-and-Pinyin imports we can guarantee that it does.

kohoutek

So just a random comment... but I'm loving the flashcard module. Simply awesome. It's been a long time coming, but I can finally throw out my htc touch. woo!

I was suffering from preferences overload for a few hours there, but now i'm settling in to my card stacks and just loving it. Great job and thanks!

a