Flashcards

singlung

秀才
excited!!

btw, general question about the flashcard-thingy:

is there something like the interval filter in zdt? repeating of flashcards based on their score?
furthermore, is it possible to backup the decks with their score so i can restore them in zdt? since there is no desktop version of pleco i really would like to have the ability to synch the decks with scores between my computer and my phone!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oh yes, there's a full "spaced repetition" system in fact - you can enable it with just two taps, too, open up the flashcard system, tap on "Profile" and select "Spaced Repetition" and that'll put in all of the right settings for it.

As far as exporting scores back to ZDT, I'm not quite sure how their scoring system works - it's possible to export all of that data from Pleco in an XML file, so if somebody writes a converter you certainly might be able to move data back and forth, but the numbers might not sync up exactly.

KristeneC

Agreed! I'm going to be in an intensive Chinese course this summer, so knowing that I'll be able to start my flashcard reviewing within the next few days/weeks is a nice feeling!

Nicolai

Fantastic! Just imported my first set from ChinesePod! I notice that it's not downloadable on my iPad yet. Is that being delayed until there's a syncing mechanism between the two?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Probably just an iTunes server sync delay - give them half a day or so and the update should be consistently available everywhere.

KristeneC

ellabelladad said:
Flashcards are live!
After playing around with this for the better part of an hour, with several files, from the forum here, the HSK file found when opening up the pleco webbrowser in-app, as well as my own custom word lists that I've been making for a bit now, from looking things up in the dictionary and from my Anki flashcards, I have to say: WOW!!!
I'm big on SRS-ing and iPhone/Touch Pleco now works like a mobile Chinese-specific Anki! <3 I think desktop SRS-ing will now be officially retired for me, lol!
Also, the flashcard system looks great! If it wasn't this visually appealing, I'd still use it simply for the convenience of ALWAYS having my flashcards with me, but liking what I see, when I'm going to spend so much looking at it is a HUGE plus! KUDOS to the Pleco team!! =)

Not to mention (because it's always worth mentioning again): THANK YOU for all the hard work you do on Pleco!!!

dcarpent

榜眼
After downloading the new flashcards module on my iPod Touch I have been trying to upload flashcards from my MW version. I copied the Pleco Flashcards file to my computer, went into Flashcards on my iPod Touch, hit "Import Cards" , then Upload from computer, and upload the Pleco Flashcard file from my computer. The I hit import cards, and when I then hit Choose File, I don't see the uploaded Pleco Flashcards file. It seems that the Documents browser within Flashcards doesn't show everything that I can see if I go to Settings -> Documents and browse there. For instance, I created a new folder, "Backups" using Settings > Documents > New Folder. But when I go to Flashcards > Import > Choose File the newly created folder isn't visible. Any ideas as to why the Flashcards file or even a new folder would be invisible?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That actually isn't done through Import Cards, it's done through "Restore Database" - sorry, we're still working on a guide to migrating flashcards from Palm/WM. (didn't expect Apple to approve the update until Friday)

dcarpent

榜眼
I now see the iPad app in the app store. Can you clarify the procedure for those of us who have both an iPhone/iPod Touch and an iPad (and at least in my case bought the full package for iPhone), in terms of license and use.

taijidan

举人
Flashcards Finally here - AWESOME!!!!!! Looks really slick too.

One question: At the end of a (SRS) session there is a session complete pop up (continue/continue wo dates/stop) - is there a way to get rid of it and set the default to Stop?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
KristeneC - thank you very much! I'm glad it seems to have been worth the wait. Particularly nice to hear you like the visuals, we're not normally known for making especially attractive software (our icons on Palm / WM are almost legendarily awful).

singlung - likewise, thanks! Though ZDT might still be useful for assembling vocabulary lists to import into Pleco on a desktop at least.

dcarpent - if you bought originally on iPhone / iPod, you can simply use the Restore Purchases command to activate that same purchase on your iPad; you're permitted to use it on any device that links to your iTunes account (as required by Apple's rules).

taijidan - no way to turn it off now, but definitely something we should include in the next minor update - I can see how it might get annoying after a while.

Tony

Mike, I'm thrilled to see the flashcards and think they've been implemented well. Only one question/suggestion (depending on the answer to the question).

I like to quiz in English and write the character on the screen. I know I can do this by hitting the Zi character on top, but is there a way to set it so that the top half of the screen (i.e., above the reveal entire card portion) is always in writing mode for both sides of the card, without needing to hit the Zi character several times for each card? When the writing mode is set, I can't flip the card, and vice versa. The two finger tap lets me clear the writing, so I'm not so concerned about that, just about the writing itself. If this functionality doesn't exist in the current version, would you consider adding it to a later version?

Thanks a bunch--this is a wonderful utility--the sole reason I bought my iPod touch after losing my old HTC.

Tony

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Azabu - thanks!

Tony - not an option right now, but it's certainly a possibility for a future update - we don't even need to show that blue border around it, and in fact in this case we probably wouldn't. Though we'd still need to at least have the option to toggle it on and off so that you could scroll through longer entries.