Will the Pocket PC version be ready as announced?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not much new to report, really - a lot of dull utility coding like preferences storage, string manipulation, database loading, etc. I'm not going to say anything new about release dates except to maintain my previous statement that we'll have something good and usable by September 1st - I don't want to predict an earlier date and have it turn out to be wrong.

FWIW, while I don't have any info on recommended systems yet, it looks like the software will be quite speedy on a 400 MHz Pocket PC, and should be very smooth even on a 300 MHz one. But as I've said numerous times before, it will require Pocket PC 2003 or later, so if you have an '02 system with no '03 update available I'm afraid you'll have to buy a new handheld to run PlecoDict. (but you know you want those VGA fonts anyway :D)

markilou

mikelove said:
but you know you want those VGA fonts anyway :D)
as long as it doesn't require a VGA display .... (there's still too few of those around: QVGA seems to be the current average).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We certainly won't require VGA; I just mentioned it as one of the perks of buying a new PPC. There are some very good technical reasons for requiring '03 (which incorporated a major and much-improved new version of Windows CE) but aside from the screen resolution there aren't really any big technical changes in the VGA models. And even if VGA becomes the norm, they'll likely continue using QVGA in smartphones and such for a long time for power-saving reasons. (if it weren't for the Treo 600 I'm not sure if we would have bothered supporting low-res displays in PlecoDict on Palm)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're creeping up on the point where we actually have something pretty usable - most of the main interface now works, there are a few unimplemented toolbar functions and the ordering and radical screens are still TBD but it's fully possible to input characters, search for words (using any of the methods available on Palm), and unlock the software with a keyfile.

But as always, all I'm saying as far as release dates is that there'll be a usable/purchasable Preview Release by September 1st.

We've decided not to implement handwriting/radical input as SIPs, if that interests anyone. Two reasons for this: doing it within our own interface is a lot easier, and SIPs don't seem to work well in landscape orientations (they still put them at the bottom of the screen, which wastes a lot of space). A third reason is that by not using SIPs, we make it possible to enter Pinyin and characters without having to change the interface - you can enter Pinyin on the keyboard and characters using the fullscreen recognizer, for example.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
For those of you who don't check the main page regularly:

pdce1.gif

pdce2.gif

A

Anonymous

Mike--looks great. I'm going to have to log on every day during my vacation to make sure I don't miss the release of the beta.

Sandra

A

Anonymous

Hello Mike,

I was just reading about a Pocket PC Version of the Dictionary! Will it run under my Mobile Phone? I have a Motorola A768i, it runs with "OS Linux" and supports JAVA!

Don

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I'm afraid not. A Java version will be a long way off if it ever happens; I don't even think there's a Java version available of the Hanwang handwriting recognizer we use on Palm and Pocket PC, and having just completed the transition from one recognizer to another we'd really rather not have to adopt yet another right away.

We'd much rather be in the business of adding new features than new platforms, and Symbian afficionados nonwithstanding, at the moment I don't see a strong business case for expanding beyond Pocket PC (unless it's to desktop computers).

b_s

mikelove said:
For those of you who don't check the main page regularly:

pdce1.gif

pdce2.gif

Mike, it looks just great!
I cannot wait to eventually get it on my O2!
At the moment, I am not using any other software to input Hanzi. It wont require any to be able to use the recognition feature, right? But, will it also install some kind of platform enabling to type/block recognise hanzi in other appications, like notes or messaging?

Need extra beta-testers, PM me!

b.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! You won't need any extra software to use the recognizer, but you won't be able to use the recognizer outside of PlecoDict - it wouldn't actually be all that difficult to implement, but it's kind of a gray area licensing-wise.

vrixon

举人
IME Question

Speaking of Input Methods ...
Will I be able to leave my current IME installed and enabled and still be able to use the PlecoDict recogniser?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Certainly - one of the nice things about Pocket PC is that everything is Unicode, so any third-party Chinese input system should work quite happily with PlecoDict.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Quick update on release dates. The basic software now works almost well enough to release - the dictionary interface works, handwriting/radical input palettes work, most of the preferences options work, and the registration system works, so aside from a few annoying bugs it's pretty much ready for public consumption.

However, there's still a week or two of additional work needed to get the flashcard and custom dictionary entry features working well enough to include them even in beta form, so the thinking now is that we'll push ahead with those with the hope of having them ready in time for our September 1st deadline. If September 1st starts creeping up and they're still not ready, we'll disable them in order to make sure we have something available on time, but we have a pretty good shot at getting them in so we think it's worth the try.

To those of you who might ask why we don't just release what we have and then follow up with the flashcards later, there are two main reasons for that. For one thing, the documentation and website work isn't done yet, so if we wanted to start taking orders tomorrow we'd have to process them manually (no fun) and deal with an even larger volume of installation-related tech support e-mail than we normally get.

But more important is the fact that every time we release an interim version of anything, it costs us about a week of development time, due to the packaging and testing required before release and the inevitable flood of e-mail that comes after. And with all the anticipation around this Pocket PC release (not to mention the fact that it's a brand new platform and we don't know what sorts of tech support questions we're likely to get) it could end up costing us as much as two weeks to release an interim version of that. So really it's in our best interest to release this as close as possible to September 1st, and hopefully the version we release then will be sufficiently stable and complete so as to require only one or two more releases before the official, finished 1.0 version. (certainly a lot less than the 5 releases and 7 months between the first release and the finished version on Palm)

So for those of you who are eagerly awaiting the Pocket PC release, there's really no need to keep checking our website every day, because it's very unlikely we'd release something before the last week of August. And I apologize if my earlier comments may have suggested otherwise - there was a period when I thought a feature-lacking Preview Release in the vein of the early Palm versions might be a good way to build interest, but now I'm pretty well convinced that it's best to put out as few beta versions as possible.