what's the Swiftkey situation?

I recently installed Swiftkey, and the first time Pleco noticed it popped up some kind of warning and I think I said yes to some sort of optional, but recommended, limitation on Swiftkey. But it's annoying not to be able to swipe as I do with Kii (in Pleco), so I wanted to try fully enabling Swiftkey in Pleco and see how it goes. But now I can't figure out how to do that, and site search doesn't turn up useful info. Please explain the ins and outs of using Swiftkey.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We actually went over that with SwiftKey (who, not unreasonably, took objection to our app putting up a message on startup about their keyboard being buggy, though the bug actually did relate to their failing to properly follow Android IME configuration specs) and supposedly they've fixed the problem now; we haven't looked at the Android version of Pleco in a couple of months since we've been so busy with 3.0 on iOS, but when we do update it again we're probably going to remove that alert.

But SwiftKey should work fine with Pleco now, basically, so if it isn't then that would be a whole different bug - what happens when you try to use it?

I'm unable to flow (enter text by swiping) with SwiftKey. I should have said this, but in my memory Pleco's warning spoke of an option in settings, so I apparently misremembered what the warning said. I've double-checked my SwiftKey settings while Pleco is open. "Flow" is enabled, but it doesn't flow only in Pleco. I can post at SwiftKey forums if the issue's not related to Pleco.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Turn on the Pleco option to allow keyboard suggestions. (Search Settings / Input Processing / Enable Suggestions)

Eh? Under Dictionary / Search Settings / Input Processing, I don't see Enable Suggestions. I only have Auto-detect language, Allow extra characters, Don't split incomplete, Flexible syllable splits, Match syllables exactly, and Combine umlauts.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm, sorry - looks like the settings portion of the instruction manual is outdated. (even I consult that when I can't remember where exactly a setting is)

phz

秀才
SwiftKey Flow runs perfectly for me, but inside Pleco I can only type individual characters.
Under category "keyboard" in "settings > dictionary > input methods", both options are unchecked.
After an update to the newest version I also tried rectivating SwiftKey but the problem persists.
Anything else I can try? Thank you.

Last edited:

phz

秀才
Thanks for the fast response. Unfortunately I still can't use SwiftKey Flow with "Disable suggestions" activated. Hmm..

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Any chance you've got an outdated version of SwiftKey? (I see 4.3 in your signature but are you maybe behind on a bug-fix update or two?)

phz

秀才
Now after upgrading to 4.3.0.196, checking that Flow and "Disable suggestions" is activated and restarting my device it still doesn't work :-(

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not sure what else to suggest then, honestly - I think you'd have to write SwiftKey on this one as it's not something that we can really influence in any way outside of the one flag we change with "disable suggestions."