Voice input test

I think it would be very useful if it could be Voice input test in flashcard tests. I think even as Add-on people would buy it.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hard to offer as a paid add-on because we make a point out of having all of those work offline and there isn't a robust offline Chinese STT library for us to license.

We do already support voice input for free using the systems built into Android and iOS, the main issue there is that there isn't currently a way to get pinyin out of those - only characters, and they aren't necessarily stressing about whether the tones in the characters they return exactly match those in what the person said.

(we are hoping post-4.0 to invest some more time in developing our own machine learning models for things, though, now that we're living in an era where anybody can do that + run them at real-time speed on a phone)

We do already support voice input for free using the systems built into Android and iOS, the main issue there is that there isn't currently a way to get pinyin out of those - only characters, and they aren't necessarily stressing about whether the tones in the characters they return exactly match those in what the person said.
Yes, I see voice input in Pleco Android, but unfortunately I can't use voice input in any kind of flashcard tests.

IMHO, even if at some of the flashcard tests would be possible use this voice input (even with problematic tone recognition),
it already would be great help for oral practicing.

I like this idea. Perhaps you could try deleting the Full-screen Handwriting Add-on (you should always be able to reinstall it), and then do a Fill-in-the-blanks test using the iOS/Android Speech-to-Text dictation engine. As an added exercise, you should be able to pick the right Hanzi word if there are multiple words with the same pronunciation.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Maybe for now it would be easier to just do something with audio capture, i.e. we record you saying it and then we play back the correct version followed by your version and you can grade yourself?

For me personally this kind of speech test in flashcards will also be of great help. Though my Chinese vocabulary is huge, oral practice is a burning issue.
And I am sure I am not the only one with this problem.

As my pronunciation is quite impeccable, I am not part of that group, though I can still see the usefulness of such a feature. But, as Mike will also tell you, you have to be aware that there are hundreds of feature requests on the To-Do list, among them many good ones, and a single programmer who also has to keep the current app compatible with the newest iOS/Android releases at the same time. (According to Mike, that alone takes a couple of months off each year.)

I recommend that you get creative in the meantime. Why not take any Chinese text of your proficiency level and try to dictate the whole thing into your device? That way, you will also quickly see what is understood by the engine and what isn't.

Also, if you have good recordings of all Chinese syllables in different tones from language textbooks, repeating these until you see an improvement is basically the most effective thing you can do. If you like, I can recommend which textbook's recordings I used a long time ago.