Visibility in 50/50 Split Screen (Landscape) mode on iPad (9.7 inch / 10.5 inch)

Simonwong

Hi everyone,

When using Pleco in 50/50 Split-Screen (Landscape) mode on the 9.7 inch iPad Pro (or the 10.5 inch iPad Pro) will the Word List appear on the left side in Pleco's "Dictionary" *Handwriting* mode?

The attached screenshot is taken from my 12.9 inch iPad Pro in 50/50 Split Screen Landscape mode. As you can see, the Word List on the left (various iterations of "luo") is visible.

I understand that the 9.7 inch and 10.5 inch iPads will default to a "Compact UI" when in 50/50 split screen mode so as a result I'm not sure the Word List will appear when in the Dictionary's Handwriting mode.

I'm thinking of switching to the smaller (and lighter!) 9.7 or 10.5 inch iPad because I travel a lot.

Thanks!

IMG_0022.PNG

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not by default, but you can configure it to show the word list in split-screen mode in Settings / Search Interface; it's a bit cramped, though.

Simonwong

Thanks Mike for the information! I've been using Pleco since 2012 and am loving it! (I have bought pretty much all of the add-ons - and ALL of the Cantonese add-ons. Keep up the awesome work) :)

Do you (or any one else reading this!) mind posting a screenshot of how the Dictionary --> Handwriting screen in Split-Screen would look on the 9.7 inch or 10.5 inch iPad? Just so that I can see how cramped it really is. If it's overly cramped I will stick with my 12.9 iPad for now.

Normally I would have bought both the 12.9 and smaller iPad from the Apple Store and then downloaded Pleco to test it on my own (and returning one of the devices after testing). Unfortunately, since last year the Apple Stores in Hong Kong no longer allow returns (as far as I know it's the only Apple location to adopt this policy).

As an example, I've attached a screenshot of my iPhone 6 in landscape mode (just the regular old 6 - and not the 6 Plus or 6S). If the Split-Screen on the 9.7 or 10.5-inch iPad is as cramped as this screenshot I may just keep using Pleco on my 12.9-inch. Thank you so much!

IMG_8984.PNG

Simonwong

For example, one thing that I notice in Handwriting Mode on the smaller devices is that the Dictionary Names (For example: "PLC", "OTC", "CC") do not appear in the Word List - whereas on the larger devices the names do appear in the light grey font.