Using wildcards

Hi,
In the search bar, I understand that ? represents 1 char, while * is 0 to 3. But how to make this search return what I need:
shi?yi
I’d like to only return 3 characters words/expressions, beginning with shi and ending with yi.
However, Pleco returns 2 types I don’t need:
- words longer than 3 characters: how to say ‘stop’ at the end of the search expression?
- words containing ‘ying’ (since it begin with yi). Is there a way to exclude ying if I don’t know the tone (this is somewhat useful to prepare lists of words for pronunciation drills)?
Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
- words longer than 3 characters: how to say ‘stop’ at the end of the search expression?

There's not currently a way to do that with wildcards, though fixing it is on our to-do list.

- words containing ‘ying’ (since it begin with yi). Is there a way to exclude ying if I don’t know the tone (this is somewhat useful to prepare lists of words for pronunciation drills)?

Those shouldn't be coming up now unless the word also contains "yi" - what exactly are you entering as a search term? If the "yi" is at the end, make sure to put a space after it, otherwise it'll interpret it as potentially being any pinyin syllable starting with "yi."