Using Pleco with the Kindle App

Mfgillia

I have a Nexus 7 running Lolipop. When reading ebooks in traditional Chinese with the Kindle android app I noticed I can't seem to get a character I've copied in Kindle to show up in Pleco. It won't show up in the Pleco reader nor can I paste it into the Pleco dictionary.

Anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?
Also, does anyone know how to get the Kindle Android app to use another better Chinese dictionary (ideally one of Pleco's own dictionaries) instead of the very horribly incomplete one that can be downloaded by default?

Thanks

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Might be that they're in a weird encoding that the Android clipboard can't handle correctly, or that they're simply image characters. What happens if you paste them into (say) a notepad app?

Also, for what it's worth, if these books are not DRMed you could run them through calibre to convert them to text files and read them directly in our document reader. (soon you'll also be able read EPUBs directly)

Mfgillia

Yep, they are definitely doing something weird. I can't get it to paste to any clipboard. If I select search the web after copying then the characters will show up in the browser. Once there I can get it into Pleco's reader by copying it.

I've tried Calibre in the past. Evidently it is possible to use that program with kindle books to convert the book into an epub or pdf but couldn't get it to work after spending a few days on it.