Using BlueTooth and a Cellphone to go Online

Dan

I have a Palm T|X and really enjoy when I find a coffee shop with WiFi, but I am on the road a lot and it shure would be nice to check e-mail or send documents etc., right from my Palm. I have a Blutooth phone and my Palm can link to and dial it, but I need some kind of an ISP phone number to dial and a password.

I've tried asking at a hundred Chinese computer and phone shops and either get absolute dumb stairs or run into a dead-end where either my Chinese or theirs is inadequite in this technical topic.

I'm pretty sure the cell phone access like Shenzhou and M-Zone are not what is needed but I am not certain.

Has anyone used their Blutooth through a cell to access the internet???

lmcjipo

榜眼
I just got a Treo 650 a few weeks ago and I will try to get this to work but my guess is that it is disabled on the Treo line of products due to service carrier comments/complaints/suggestions (they want their subscribers to use the more expensive GPRS or whatever data service they offer instead of using "free" bluetooth.)

If I come up with anything or get it to work, I'll post it here. However, I'm somewhat busy so I probably won't try anything substatial on getting this to work this week or next week.

Dan

Thanks Jim-

The cellphone I am using (A Moto SLVR L7) is GPRS capable, but I do not have the GPRS activated on the phone line yet.

Any idea if the Palm can use the GPRS on the phone to access the internet.

I am primarily looking for access to my POP3 e-mail, so I can use my Palm anywhere to access e-mail, then I won't have some of my messages and contacts on my Outlook at home, some on my Palm and some on the web-based access I am using in an internet cafe. I can have them all on the Palm and make it my only e-mail access tool.

Anyway, Thanks to Jim or anyone else with ideas on this.

lmcjipo

榜眼
Dan said:
Thanks Jim-

The cellphone I am using (A Moto SLVR L7) is GPRS capable, but I do not have the GPRS activated on the phone line yet.

Any idea if the Palm can use the GPRS on the phone to access the internet.

I am primarily looking for access to my POP3 e-mail, so I can use my Palm anywhere to access e-mail, then I won't have some of my messages and contacts on my Outlook at home, some on my Palm and some on the web-based access I am using in an internet cafe. I can have them all on the Palm and make it my only e-mail access tool.

Anyway, Thanks to Jim or anyone else with ideas on this.

I tried with my Treo 650 and I'm unable to get it to use the free network settings of my laptop via bluetooth to browse the web or check e-mail. I'm not sure if this is by design (because the Treo 650 is capable of checking e-mail and browsing the web using the online service provider's wireless data plans).

My Treo 650 is capable of browsing the web on its own (and checking POP e-mail).

Since I use my Treo 650 as a cellphone also, I don't have another bluetooth cellphone to test whether I can use the bluetooth feature of the cellphone to connect to the Treo 650 and use the Treo 650's GPRS network connection on the cellphone.

Sorry but I will try it some more and if I can get it to work or have more information, I'll post it here.

Dan

So through GPRS you can check POP e-mail? Maybe this is a key to the issue. I did not open the GPRS on my cell phone because the service rep at China Mobile said I would only be able to browse their internal websites (WAP. instead of WWW.)

Maybe I will open the GPRS and see if the T|X can figure out how to draw pop e-mail through the GPRS connection.

Thanks again

lmcjipo

榜眼
Dan said:
So through GPRS you can check POP e-mail? Maybe this is a key to the issue. I did not open the GPRS on my cell phone because the service rep at China Mobile said I would only be able to browse their internal websites (WAP. instead of WWW.)

Maybe I will open the GPRS and see if the T|X can figure out how to draw pop e-mail through the GPRS connection.

Thanks again

I'm not sure why this happened but I posted a response to this a few days ago and noticed that it never appeared when I came back today.

In theory, GPRS gives you almost the same type of connection as you would get when your PC is connected to the internet. The only limitations are speed (it is slightly equivalent to what you would get via dial-up) and the ports that the service provider allows you to use. Most cellular service providers don't block the often used ports like for SMTP, POP, web browsing (port 80), etc.

I even use GPRS to connect to an NTP server and automatically update the time on my Treo 650 to one of the atomic clocks around the world.