User Dictionary Disappeared

lutenedm

I created a user dictionary last night and added a few terms to it. I was already using the latest version, 3.2.1, and did not update or change Pleco in any way between last night and now, but when I went to look for the user dictionary earlier today, it had completely vanished without a trace. I turned off my mobile data and wifi once during the day, could that be the problem?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If your phone has a particular sort of firmware bug then that mobile data toggle might have caused the flashcard module to deactivate, in which case your user dictionary would still be there but would be inaccessible until you reactivated the flashcard module.

Do you remember seeing a message about your device's hardware ID changing? Check Add-ons - is the flashcard system still listed as purchased? What about in New Test?

lutenedm

Thanks for your response. The Flashcard System is still listed under "Installed", and the New Test menu seems to have all of the advanced settings. Also, the two user dictionaries I had created prior to this most recent one are still there, and appear to be functioning normally.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well that's an odd one then... use a file explorer utility to search all of the files in your device's memory for files with names ending in ".pqb", do you see anything in there with the name of your new user dictionary?

lutenedm

The file explorer found three .pqb files, one for each of the two previous user dictionaries that are still showing up, and "Pleco Flashcard Database," which I assume is the default. Nothing for the one that is gone. I really did create it, I swear!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... I don't suppose your device is set up to sync with a backup service of some kind, is it? Is Pleco installed on an external SD card? How long have you had the card?

lutenedm

I do not use an SD card. The only automatic backup service I use, to my knowledge, is Google's photo service. I checked in there, and in my google drive and dropbox accounts, and did not see anything.

It's a mystery, but thankfully there weren't too many entries in the user dictionary yet. I will just back up more often in the future.