User Dictionary Disappeared with 3.2?

LinZheFu

进士
My user dictionary disappeared when Pleco automatically updated to version 3.2. How do I get it back? I tried to use the install user dictionary command to install an existing dictionary, but don't know where to go to find it or what it should look like. It begins at the highest level of the file hierarchy. Tried navigating to likely places but didn't see anything I recognized as a user dictionary.

I tried the restore database option since I had just recently backed everything up, but that didn't bring back the user dictionary either.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That one's news to us - did you back up your user dictionary specifically? (different file from flashcards)

Try installing a file manager utility and searching for all files that end with ".pqb" in your device's memory - anything in there look like a user dictionary?

LinZheFu

进士
I can only find Pleco Flashcard Database.pqg, flashback.pqb, and another flashbackup file. No user dictionary. I backed up databases and flashcards - there was no option for backing up user dictionaries and I didn't realize they needed separate treatment, so when I reinstalled Pleco in an attempt to overcome the crashing problem I had with the previous version, I may have wiped out the user dictionary. Is that possible? Wouldn't it stay in place? Painful loss if that's the case. Somehow I thought database backup would do that.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It is a separate backup at the moment, unfortunately - we are considering merging the user dictionary + flashcard systems more completely (so user dictionary entries + flashcards would be the same thing) but right now they're separate.

LinZheFu

进士
So I guess reinstalling wipes out the dictionary? I thought I was following the directions carefully for doing a reinstall - don't recall anything about backing up the user dictionary, though. Might be good to make that more clear. Would be great if the process of uninstalling brought up an option to review recommended steps for those wishing to reinstall, and then that could include info on the need to backup the user dictionary. Some problems on the Android seem to require reinstalling as the fix, so making reinstalls as painless as possible would be nice. But the software is already worldclass in terms of programming and ease of use, so this is just a minor request.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

There isn't really any way for us to intervene in the process of uninstalling an Android app - all happens on the system side, our code doesn't have the opportunity to run. But it might make sense for us to add a one-time "back up your user dictionaries too" alert the first time somebody who's using user dictionaries backs up a flashcard database - that seems like it would catch almost everyone.

Last edited: