[Unofficial] Feature Request / Suggestion List

jurgen85

I believe that information is extracted from ABC; if you have ABC installed this information also displays in Pleco.
The only trace I've seen of that is when creating a custom flashcard, but the underdots are removed everywhere else, even when I have ABC as the primary dict.

For example, if creating a custom flashcard from the ABC entry for 过来:
你∼一下。 Nǐ ∼ yị̄xià.
My suggestion is to add dots automatically everywhere. This shouldn't need to change the underlying data, but could be applied at a stage near adding tone color.

bokane

举人
Nothing even approaching a high priority, but now that the (32-bit, abandonware) Unihan Variant Dictionary is incompatible with Catalina and future MacOS releases, it'd be nice to have another way of finding variant forms of characters.

Currently this sort-of works by going into the Unihan dictionary settings and toggling several things on (TraditionalVariant, SemanticVariant, SimplifiedVariant, SpecializedSemanticVariant, ZVariant), but it's not clear (to me, at least) what distinguishes these categories -- why the entry for 國, e.g., lists 囯 as a SemanticVariant, 国 as a SimplifiedVariant, and 圀 as a ZVariant. (Unihan Variant Dictionary also identifies the variant forms 囻 and 囶; I don't see those under Unihan in Pleco but it's possible that there's another dictionary setting somewhere that I've neglected to turn on.) Would it be possible at some point to just unify these under a single setting ("List Variant Forms") and perhaps implement mapping so that entries for 國 show up alongside dedicated entries for 圀? The Unihan/Pleco/CC dictionaries already have all the data; it just isn't as immediately usable for this (niche, low-priority) purpose.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The display part of this should be supported in 4.0 without our doing anything specifically to enable it, actually; at least in the current prototype, the new entry output formatting system is quite flexible and can easily be configured to append the contents of multiple fields one after another without anything in between them. So you'd simply set up a presentation block with all of those various Unihan fields one after another and then you'd end up with the full list of characters in one spot.

For searching multiple related characters, we do support this too (same code we use so that color gives you colour and vice versa) and had been planning to put in some sort of an 'include character variants' synonym map; I'm not sure if it would be all that efficient to fetch it from Unihan directly but we'd probably base it on the same data (and it's not like it changes that often...) and you could load your own custom synonym map if you didn't like ours.

jurgen85

Open Newest Image
Still OCR “Reopen Last Image” is great, and something like “Open Newest Image” would be even greater, to get the most recent file from somewhere like /sdcard/Pictures/*/ as this would make opening screenshots very smooth.

Hello!

I've been looking for an answer to this, but haven't come up with one. Maybe it's a feature request, or just a cry for help?

For adding to flashcards, is there a way to add directly to a category from the search results? rather than having to go and organize it later? Now, I understand you can long hold the + in an individual entry, which will allow you to select a category to file it in, which then becomes the default category in the "add to flashcards" function. (I think this is a silly behavior, but understand it's usefulness in some situations. I think being able to toggle this function would be good.)

I personally would prefer to be always prompted on which category to add to every time I add a flash card.

Thanks!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Open Newest Image
Still OCR “Reopen Last Image” is great, and something like “Open Newest Image” would be even greater, to get the most recent file from somewhere like /sdcard/Pictures/*/ as this would make opening screenshots very smooth.
Makes sense, just have to investigate whether we can actually do it with all of the changes currently underway in Android shared file storage (the long-simmering "Scoped Storage" project).

For adding to flashcards, is there a way to add directly to a category from the search results?
Not at the moment - hardly anybody uses that, to be honest (most people don't seem to be aware of tap-hold context menus at all) so it's not something we've had much feedback on. We do offer an option in Settings / Flashcards to turn off the behavior of tap-hold changing the default - "Change on tap-hold". But certainly can reconsider in future releases.